Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Interesting point.

Is it common knowledge who actually wanted to bring Kramaric to the club? Seems one of the most bizarre signings we've ever made

It was abit of a mess when you look at it now, he was no way ready to be thrown in at the deep end.

He has been decently rated on FT match ratings in 2016, and I think his close control has been much better.

That's ignoring Watford, which was grim, tbf.

I've been one of those rating him highly in the match threada recently, honest. On his day he is a real player and causes havoc but I honestly don't recall seeing a football have so much difficulty staying on his feet. He's not even doing it to try and win free kicks he just has awful balance and I'd say a 50/50 successful first touch at best. I want the lad to succeed here and I don't think he's been a flop but he does need to work hard on his faults imho

It was abit of a mess when you look at it now, he was no way ready to be thrown in at the deep end.

I just have no idea who sanctioned it as it surely couldn't have been NP

We're going to need another striker, anyhow, so I don't see the point of screaming 'bin' about a player in his first season here, especially when our best players have taken a lot longer to flourish.

I think Shinji has been great lately. He's clearly not a proficient striker but offers himself in other ways to help the Team. He's our Kante of the front line chasing lost causes and forcing defenders into mistakes. That's why he's picked ahead of Ulloa most weeks. I think a lot on here are frustrated because he's not the natural striker we need to share the load with Vardy. But you need to look at him in the other context. The amount of harassing he does preventing defenders playing the ball out from the back, forcing them into errors, giving away free kicks, kicking to touch well up field or turning over possession to us time and time again. This style fits in exactly with our current high tempo style of play. Like one or two others I think he will get better as the grounds dry up.

Yes he's not perfect but at least he puts in a shift every game.

Can't believe people slate Shinji. The only conclusion I can come to is you are all so incredibly dense that you can't appreciate the work he does in our team and we wouldn't be where are without his dynamism and workrate. You are all stupid and the people who like Shinji are significantly more enlightened than you are.

He is supposed to be a striker and 5 goals in 30 run outs proves he isn't . Now who's stupid ?

Ok so who was our top scorer last season ? ---play him.

If you don't understand why Okazaki suits our fast paced style of play better than Ulloa does, then there's really no hope.

He might not be prolific, but he offers something to the team with the other parts of his game. His work rate, his off the ball runs, his defensive work, his ability to keep up with the likes of Vardy and Mahrez on the counter attack, all qualities that work for the team and Ulloa isn't as good at. A striker doesn't have to be prolific to offer something, which is why I posted a picture of Heskey earlier. You might remember him, big handful of a striker with a poor goalscoring record, might have even spent a few years with city if I recall!

A team like Leicester would not be top of the league by playing passengers. Okazaki is playing his part otherwise he wouldn't be in the team, and the team wouldn't be top.

If you don't understand why Okazaki suits our fast paced style of play better than Ulloa does, then there's really no hope.

He might not be prolific, but he offers something to the team with the other parts of his game. His work rate, his off the ball runs, his defensive work, his ability to keep up with the likes of Vardy and Mahrez on the counter attack, all qualities that work for the team and Ulloa isn't as good at. A striker doesn't have to be prolific to offer something, which is why I posted a picture of Heskey earlier. You might remember him, big handful of a striker with a poor goalscoring record, might have even spent a few years with city if I recall!

A team like Leicester would not be top of the league by playing passengers. Okazaki is playing his part otherwise he would be in the team, and the team wouldn't be top.

Well said flannel .... I'm too fookin knackered to argue with em anymore and am turning in now as I've a plane to catch early in the morning.

Banzai !!!

A team like Leicester would not be top of the league by playing passengers. Okazaki is playing his part otherwise he wouldn't be in the team, and the team wouldn't be top.

It was just an opinion . significantly Ranieri Brings on Ulloa when he wants to go for the win and takes Okazaki off. And Ulloa has done the business has he not . It's not that hard to understand eh ?

It was just an opinion . significantly Ranieri Brings on Ulloa when he wants to go for the win and takes Okazaki off. And Ulloa has done the business has he not . It's not that hard to understand eh ?

Ulloa has scored 3 goals this season and 2 of those came in 3-0 wins. I'm not sure how nicking the winner v Norwich classes as him "doing the business" when called on. Okazaki has been involved in the vast majority of games, from the start in most cases, and we've got positive results out of the majority of those games, he's clearly contributed the overall functioning of the team in order for us to play in the style we want. Football is about much more than "kick it in the goal" and "he doesn't kick it in the goal enough, he must be shit", it's about getting a balance to the team in order to effectively create chance to score goals and also stop the other team doing that themselves. We chose to relinquish the ball and press the opposition into mistakes, so a busy striker like Okazaki, is perfect for this team as he forces mistakes from the opposition, and prevents them from starting attacks. His pace in joining the attacks gives the likes of Vardy and Mahez more space to work their magic.

Is he perfect? No. Could we sign better in the summer? Yes. Is he right no an integral part of the a title chasing team? Yes!

Our style of play has gone completely out the window. The last 3 games we've had 50% or more possession. Only 1 of the other 26 games in the season did we hit 50% possession. Teams have kept 3 defenders back to try to negate the long ball to Vardy as well. Instead, we've been forced to try to penetrate boxes with 5 or more defenders and we've struggled to find ways to score.

In the change to a possession style attack, there has been one very weak link. The man who was unable to make his presence known in the box against the 2nd leakiest defense in the league. He was subbed out of the game at 0-0. The man missed not one but two can't miss changes against West Brom. The man couldn't help us score against Watford and was subbed off again. Instead subs were needed to change the game and brought home 4 extra points.

The game is changed. We need all of our players to be scoring options now that our favorite routes to goal have been stifled. One man hasn't been playing his part and needs to go.

Our style of play has gone completely out the window. The last 3 games we've had 50% or more possession. Only 1 of the other 26 games in the season did we hit 50% possession. Teams have kept 3 defenders back to try to negate the long ball to Vardy as well. Instead, we've been forced to try to penetrate boxes with 5 or more defenders and we've struggled to find ways to score.

In the change to a possession style attack, there has been one very weak link. The man who was unable to make his presence known in the box against the 2nd leakiest defense in the league. He was subbed out of the game at 0-0. The man missed not one but two can't miss changes against West Brom. The man couldn't help us score against Watford and was subbed off again. Instead subs were needed to change the game and brought home 4 extra points.

The game is changed. We need all of our players to be scoring options now that our favorite routes to goal have been stifled. One man hasn't been playing his part and needs to go.

Spot on . 

I think Shinji playing means we are going to press far more, and that helps the team. I wish he would finish better, but he and Jamie start the press really well. 

When Leo is on we are more likely to score, and that also helps the team, in a different way.

Banzai!

:D Leicester are on top but FT is in Okazaki-induced meltdown. I wonder where Shinji's detractors were in January, when he was among Leicester's best rated players. He's played what, last two games slightly below average? Give guy a break... If CR picks him over Leo or King, it's not entirely because of his infectious smile you know.

Yeah mate, you're the lone bastion of light in this melee of opinions.

lol lol What the frig is a bastion of light? And what good would a light in the form of a bastion be in a melee? Did you just pick words out of a hat? If you play Warcraft you have my apologies.

You could write this about any conflict of interest on the internet, people have opinions on everything and as we know they conflict.

Well no. Are you saying that literally every argument is a false dichotomy simply because there's more than one side? Some ideas are inherently more ridiculous than others, and the fence is a more reasonable place to sit in some arguments than in others. If somebody thinks they were Napolean in a former life, for example, my appeal for "seeing both sides" of his argument would be unreasonable and indefensible. It's ok to treat such an argument with contempt. But the argument about Shinji clearly isn't that simple is it.

For example, your very post could be construed as correct and an accurate reflection the situation, others might think its rambling nonsense that has no point or need.

Well if that infinite regress of meta-arguments makes you feel better, I can only say that some people might agree with your assessment and some people might think you're talking out of your arse. Your turn? (we could be here a while). Doesn't really advance the conversation any further does it.

The point here is that some people are treating this debate as if you either have to love Shinji unconditionally or you must wish death upon him. There are lots of opinions that fall into neither category.

I love his hustle but if we are to win the title he MUST do better with his finishing. Vardy is being marked out of games recently and he is not taking advantage at all. He plays too deep and when he does get in the box his finishing is horrible.

I expect better from a fanbase that once idolised Emile Heskey, if you can't understand what Shinji brings to the side you should give up watching

I understand fully what he brings to the side but that does not get in the way of assessing his lack of goals , which was I think the point of the debate ? Understandably Vardy is being marked out of the game at the moment so we are having to rely on Mahrez or Huth or Drinkwater to come up with the goals.

Despite all his industry he hardly gets a sniff at a goal scoring position  and falls over his own feet constantly.  In a nut shell he isn't doing what he should be doing as a striker and that's to score goals.

He certainly gives is all and we must congratulate him with that. People have mentioned Heskey but Heskey scored a few and had lots of assists. Not sure if Shinji has assists. Having been home and away all season I have noticed most of the time he comes away without the ball and falls over. He seems in a mad rush all the time and doesn't have composure. Even the great goal at Everton was a lucky rebound off him first. Saying that I like him for his effort but people who slate his critics are being daft because they have a valid point and we certainly need a better more capable player to replace him. You say CR would not play him if he wasn't the best but CR has no other choice as Ulloa is too slow and there is no one else. That is why we offered 18M to sign a striker in January. CR is playing the best at his disposal but the typical Leic fan attitude of no one can ever be criticised otherise you are a moron is wearing a little thin and doesn't show us genuine fans in the best of light. Football is an opinion and we are all allowed ours. Like all the NP fanatics last year - we hardly hear from them now???

Being top of the league doesn't mean all 11 players are world class. Every team has weaknesses and all teams are always looking to strengthen the team. Shinji is probably our weakest player out of the best 11.

Archived