Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hitesh

Sports Personality TOTY

9 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

1 - Drug cheats are rife, entire nations banned for systematic government backed doping. I would be very surprised if our lot are 100% clean.

2 - The devalue of the tournament based on the above.

3 - Truly shit boring sports e.g. Synchronised swimming, Synchronised jumping off a spring board into a swimming pool. I know its subjective and opinion based but by god its dull as.

However the point about TOFY will be a crying shame if Leicester dont win, obviously i am a fan but for a team who were almost relegation certainties, with a team of missfits and a written off manager can win the most prestigious league title in world football would be a crying shame. 

So because you don't like it, it's shit?

5 hours ago, sm1 said:

Heard somewhere that each medal cost over 4 million, that's over 1/4 billion pound lottery funding for team GB. Its like giving the award to Chelsea for coming 2nd in the league. But since the Olympics is exclusively on the BBC, they'll probably get the award, especially if we are near the bottom of the table come the Winter.

It's really not.

I think we should be bloody grateful we have such a well funded system myself. So much bitterness towards remarkable athletes and a great national achievement just because someone might pip Leicester City to the precious TOTY award at SPOY. 

We will win it anyway so you should all calm down.

Guest MattP
48 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Im not, the olympics is shit.

Goes to show that proper investment in any sport can reap rewards.

India invested more than and us and won a bronze and silver with a population of over a billion.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

So because you don't like it, it's shit?

Think points 1 and 2 demonstrate as to why its shit

added to that the tedium of watching some truly mundane 'sports'

cant wait for tiddlywinks

1 hour ago, MattP said:

India invested more than and us and won a bronze and silver with a population of over a billion.

As somebody that's spent a lot of time in India and actually witnessed the sports infastructure over there, I seriously doubt that.

Also I for one am not bemoaning them there moment in the spotlight, but the bottom line is that huge amount of expenditure has been used to get the team where they are. That's not bitterness, its reality. Just like the top football clubs spend 100s of millions to create success, so has team GB.

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I think we should be bloody grateful we have such a well funded system myself. So much bitterness towards remarkable athletes and a great national achievement.

But why should we be grateful? How does paying top athletes to do what they do (if well or not) public funds, help the country?  

2 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Think points 1 and 2 demonstrate as to why its shit

added to that the tedium of watching some truly mundane 'sports'

cant wait for tiddlywinks

Be brave, stick your neck out..!!!

What mundane sports...???

31 minutes ago, Phube said:

But why should we be grateful? How does paying top athletes to do what they do (if well or not) public funds, help the country?  

Misgog..I bet you cheer up every party you go to and I am sure you are celebrated every   in Wake.

1 hour ago, Phube said:

For a start off it is far from "public funds" you are not forced to play the national lottery.

it gives everyone entertainment,  something to be proud of, produces real role models, and encourages kids to get involved in a wide variety of sporting activities which given the current problems we have with childhood obesity is very important.

plus they get payed fck all compared to most top sportsmen. A lot of the funding goes into "grass routes" a model football could learn a lot from.

belittling the Olympic effort because you fear their competition for a stupid TVs award is out and out sad. even if you don't enjoy the Olympic Games you should at least respect the achievement. We should perhaps concentrate on pushing our own bid, as team gbs achievement was great, our was extraordinary, we will probably win TOTS, but it won't be because the olympics are shit, or because of any drug controversy, or because we give them too much funding (ridiculous) it will plainly be as we achieved a bigger feat, and if we don't win and they do it's the British publics  fault, not theirs.

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

For a start off it is far from "public funds" you are not forced to play the national lottery.

it gives everyone entertainment,  something to be proud of, produces real role models, and encourages kids to get involved in a wide variety of sporting activities which given the current problems we have with childhood obesity is very important.

plus they get payed fck all compared to most top sportsmen.

belittling the Olympic effort because you fear their competition for a stupid TVs award is out and out sad. even if you don't enjoy the Olympic Games you should at least respect the achievement. We should perhaps concentrate on pushing our own bid, as team gbs achievement was great, our was extraordinary, we will probably win TOTS, but it won't be because the olympics are shit, or because of any drug controversy, or because we give them too much funding (ridiculous) it will plainly be as we achieved a bigger feat, and if we don't win and they do it's the British publics  fault, not theirs.

I seriously don't care if Team GB win it or not it was more of a point of interest!

But I've never understood the funding for the Olympic sports. We plough money into the sports we're already good at, and withdraw from the crap ones? Surely if it's for encouraging youngsters, a broad spectrum of sports should get funded?

Unfortunately on the flip side, one can argue that football generally claims most of the sporting credits and in the eyes of many, someone else should have the limelight for the night.

Even though still, what we achieved is beyond unthinkable but you can't overlook the efforts of our incredible Olympic team. Is this award publicly voted? I can't remember. If so, it'll be tight.

will team GB be split up into their different areas, so for instance, cycling, equestrian, track and field ect...? Or be counted as one entity?

I'd have had us down as front runners to win the TOTY, if the GB cycling team didn't win pretty much everything in Rio.

What we did was unthinkable.

What Team GB did, to be perfectly honest wasn't that unrealistic. They got 65 medals at London 2012 and 67 at Rio 2016. So Team GB's goal was always going to be trying to surpass their previous medals tally. Meanwhile we were relegation candidates at 5000/1, it's a no brainer.

2 hours ago, Phube said:

I seriously don't care if Team GB win it or not it was more of a point of interest!

But I've never understood the funding for the Olympic sports. We plough money into the sports we're already good at, and withdraw from the crap ones? Surely if it's for encouraging youngsters, a broad spectrum of sports should get funded?

What do you think generates more interest, being highly successful at 5-7 sports and winning a lot of gold medals or being bang average at the lot and finishing in a respectable 5th place across the board and winning no medals,

ur showing naivety on a new scale here phube. every country needs to focus on some events and let others go, we could plough a load of funding into handball and basketball we'd never get close to a medal so what's the point?

5 hours ago, DB11 said:

I think Team GB will win it - it captured much more people's attentions and hearts

not sure it did. we were world widely accepted as the most remarkable, romantic, fantastically against the odds sporting triumph of all time. they were a lot of people we'd never heard of and will rarely hear of again who have done pretty well in an olympics that's been in the news more for what's gone wrong behind the scenes than any sporting achievements. 

2 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Anything synchronized.

Table tennis - fks sake its a youth club game

Most gymnastics

The Olympics, is or has always tried to bring in All sports under their umbrella.

I see where your coming from and don t disagree Totally.

But I see it like this...

Golf, Tennis, even football, have their own major tournaments, and always in the spotlight,

With high financial gains even for their sportspeople outside the top 10 earn stupid money.

If in these type of sports, they do something like Rugby 7s, Different presntation ,and only have the young or

Amateurs, then I would say ok.

Gymnastics belong to the modern olympics, as does Table-tennis.

Synchronized Sports, have an element of questionable judging, leaning towards political agendas.

That said boxing, which for me belongs in the Olympics, has questionable judging.

Strange but martial-arts umpires and refs are tied down thankfully to honest upfront rules.No opinions but rules.

If the top W.wide sports, like tennis, golf looked at the differenceS between Olympic Boxing and world champions boxing,

or Rugby we would see a better acceptance.I for one congratulate Andy Murray for his gold, but belief right to the bottom of my heart,

he and the others shouldnt have been participating.

Life is about opinions, and different values on integrity Choices, or any seen common sense, but each human have their

own ideas on interpretation.

Real Wrestling, bores me to hell, but it belongs to the Olympics.

9 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

What do you think generates more interest, being highly successful at 5-7 sports and winning a lot of gold medals or being bang average at the lot and finishing in a respectable 5th place across the board and winning no medals,

ur showing naivety on a new scale here phube. every country needs to focus on some events and let others go, we could plough a load of funding into handball and basketball we'd never get close to a medal so what's the point?

So you're saying don't bother getting kids into sport if they're not going to be successful at it?!

I'd rather all sports money went in to youth sports (or funding schools to stop selling playgrounds off or offer after schools sports) and not elite athletes who get to beat less well funded athletes. 

Archived