Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BruinFox

Minutes Silence

9 minutes ago, BruinFox said:

Disgusted by the West Brom idiots chanting during the silence !! Classless scum bags should be named, shamed and banned. 

Sound comes from the concourse.

Happens every year. Nobody does it on purpose.

To be honest, the morons who scream "Shut the **** up" are worse.

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Sounded like those singing etc (not those yelling 'shut the **** up') were either in the concourse or outside... 

I stand in l1, and to be fair to West Brom, it was the fans in the concourse, and their fans were also shouting at them to shut up.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Birch said minutes silence DURING the last post

This.

It was all abit strange today. When the players came out and the fans did the poppy display it was dead quite with no noise until after the teams were announced. Then as you say, Birch said silence during the last post and everyone when quite immediately even as the pre match captains photos were taking place with some players still stretching. 

I know there are some who don't like a minutes applause.  But this would probably solve this problem.  I like the idea of celebrating the lives that were lost.

I think a minutes silence at a sporting event can be very powerful but its not always easy to pull off, maybe at such events a minutes applause makes more sense.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

I know there are some who don't like a minutes applause.  But this would probably solve this problem.  I like the idea of celebrating the lives that were lost.

I think a minutes silence at a sporting event can be very powerful but its not always easy to pull off, maybe at such events a minutes applause makes more sense.

Applause is better, but you cant really clap during the last post. The people who carried on chanting are disrespectful cretinous morons. The ones who shout "shut the **** up" are just as thick. Unforunately people cant follow instructions these days. The banners and announcer clearly said hold them up during the last post - so people hold them up as we walk out instead. Is it that difficult really?

It sounded to me like it wasn't intentional. The whole thing seemed a little chaotic, and I honestly reckon some people didn't know they were meant to be silent. I say this because they shut up the second they were reminded to shut up. I understand why people were vocal in telling them to zip their mouths, but that was probably worse than the sounds coming from the concourse. If the club wants to make a proper occasion of this, as they seem to, then I doubt it would take too much effort to fix these problems for next year. Or this year. Or last year. Or the year before that.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I see what you are saying but it's a time for reflection and also caves in to the morons who can't shut up for 1 minute. Firstly, why are they in the concourse with a minute to go before kick-off and do they not read any media?

It was clear we were having a minute's silence just before kick-off as every club in the land has had in the past week.

22 minutes ago, filbertfoxy00 said:

That's the problem, it isn't a minutes silence before kick off anymore, it's a full 10 minute ceremony and a competition to see which club can put on the best show! 

I like it and wouldn't change it. The issue is willy puller fans, nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I like it and wouldn't change it. The issue is willy puller fans, nothing else.

When you're planning a huge event which depends on the co-operation of 32,000 people, they all need to go along with it - 'willy pullers' and all. If - through being 'willy pullers' or lefties or drunkards or foreigners or just not knowing that they're meant to shut up - people year-in-out fail to observe a silence correctly, it suggests that we need to do more to get everyone on board. Or, even, accept that our stab at remembrance is always destined to be as lousy as it was today. I thought it was poorly planned and overly long to the point of both distracting from the silence and subduing the atmosphere for a good part of the game. And, while I knew when to shut up, I think we have to do a better job, and maybe be a little more succinct, than today if we want everyone else to shut up as well.

Archived