Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Cambiasso = class

Honestly I'm probably the kind of poster that is so unnoticeable that I could just completely change my opinion and have nobody notice, instead I'll throw my hands up and say that these past few matches he's been brilliant, because he has. I do think earlier he was being overrated quite a bit but currently I rate him exactly the same as everybody else does

There was an odd point where Wes decided everyone should go up for a free kick and Esteban seemed to briefly overrule him. Don't think Wes wanted to argue, but eventually won.

Anyway, have the club started selling bald caps yet? Want one for the QPR game.

No vendetta,

He was a class player, he has some incredibly classy touches but I'm not blind to his defensive deficiencies that kill us week in week out.

You lot raving about yesterday are funny. More than half his passes went to the opposition - just go and watch the match replay on Kodo - and he was targetted in midfield as he comes out other players just glide past him. Song outclassed him yesterday and nearly made us pay.

The goal was fantastic but on a normal saturday for the foxes that shot would have simply cannoned off Vardy's ars and set up another attack to them.

I like him but I also watch his full game not just his maestro moments.

I take it that you are not very old.

Look, I've been on here saying that Cambi has not done as much this season as I had hoped for, and that some people on here have been blind to his shortcomings - notwithstanding I like the bloke.

However, yesterday I thought he was our best player and scored a great goal.

We now need him to do the same for the rest of the season, in doing so dragging the rest of the lads along with him.

Come on Esteban!

Seriously?

Banks=world class

Shilton =international class

Where world class means a player would get in a world 11 and international class means a regular at international level.

Though I love Weller, he and the others were never World Class, just superb Leicester players.

Cambiasso was world class and still shows a lot of his class.

That is why I feel fortunate to have seen Cambiasso in a City shirt.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Seems I personally abused someone and got a ban, apologies to womever that was.

Now you've given the parameters and this makes it even clearer that Cambiasso isn't world class.

The statement that I answered was about Cambiasso being the best player ever than the poster had seen play in a City shirt.

You're certainly not going to argue that Camby as a city player is world class nor international class are you? He couldn't get within a mile of the Argentina national squad. As a city player he's not even good enough to make a Prem 11 team for the season. I'm sure someone can tell me how many of the weekly prem teams he's made. He gets about a 6 point something on the baised views on City fans saying that he's above average in general for our team which happens to be bottom of the Prem. 

You dismissed most of the players I mentioned yet they all played internationally whilst being a City player and in a team which was comfortably in the top half of the best division in the UK.

To continue my list of better players for City (in a city shirt) I could name Kev MacDonald, Muzzy Izzet and Neil Lennon from more recent teams that played far better football for Leicester than Camby has this season. Is their anyone who wouldn't happily have put any of those 3 midfielders into our side EVERY game this season to replace Camby. Personally I'd rather have had Ian Wilson  too and that's before moving into the most recent generation of footballers.

Walshy and Elliot are sorely disrespected by the inference that this year's Cambiasso is anywhere near the level that they played for Leicester.

I could go on but it seems a losing a battle.

I'll just say that I disagree with you and scouse who claim he's the best player ever in a City shirt.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Seems I personally abused someone and got a ban, apologies to womever that was.

Now you've given the parameters and this makes it even clearer that Cambiasso isn't world class.

The statement that I answered was about Cambiasso being the best player ever than the poster had seen play in a City shirt.

You're certainly not going to argue that Camby as a city player is world class nor international class are you? He couldn't get within a mile of the Argentina national squad. As a city player he's not even good enough to make a Prem 11 team for the season. I'm sure someone can tell me how many of the weekly prem teams he's made. He gets about a 6 point something on the baised views on City fans saying that he's above average in general for our team which happens to be bottom of the Prem. 

You dismissed most of the players I mentioned yet they all played internationally whilst being a City player and in a team which was comfortably in the top half of the best division in the UK.

To continue my list of better players for City (in a city shirt) I could name Kev MacDonald, Muzzy Izzet and Neil Lennon from more recent teams that played far better football for Leicester than Camby has this season. Is their anyone who wouldn't happily have put any of those 3 midfielders into our side EVERY game this season to replace Camby. Personally I'd rather have had Ian Wilson  too and that's before moving into the most recent generation of footballers.

Walshy and Elliot are sorely disrespected by the inference that this year's Cambiasso is anywhere near the level that they played for Leicester.

I could go on but it seems a losing a battle.

I'll just say that I disagree with you and scouse who claim he's the best player ever in a City shirt.

Congratulations on responding comprehensively to something the original poster never actually said.

Wortho, Nish, Whitworth, Cross, Glover, Allan Clarke, Weller, Shilton

How many of those were world class at any time in their career? One - Shilton

The statement that I replied to was that Camby is the best player "a city fan" has ever seen play in a City shirt. Everyone of these players played better in many games than Camby has in any game this season.

This has got to be the most stupid post I've seen for a while. And pointless.

You realise Cambiasso will be 35 before song reaches 28? You realise he is most likely being paid twice as much? You realise he has a side around him that's in the top 10 and not rock bottom?

As for outclassing him, I think it's rubbish. Leicester dominated things in the midfield in the second half and cambiasso was class. He puts his foot in when he can but that isn't his game and I bet most would beat him one on one, that's why we defend as a unit. You will always see cambiasso trying to ensure we defend as a unit and organise ourselves and that's why..

If you cannot be proud to have him here after a performance and goal like that, well I feel sorry for you as a fan

Leicester haven't dominated things in midfield for more than a handful of minutes on average in each game this season. We were overrun in midfield more often than not against West Ham and that was mostly due to Cambiasso's lack of speed an mobility. It's true that this was far from his worst game in that respect this season though.  

The point you made about age is exactly the one I made. Song is younger and was so much better. Camby used to be great now he's an above average player on a team who have won a handful of games and sit at the bottom of the Prem. The wages are a complete red herring thrown in by you.

Who was the better player in the game was the question.

If you think that was Cambiasso rather than Song then you have every right to that opinion. However erroneous I may think it was.

Cambiasso - better than average but not class - City doesn't have a class player at the moment - that's our problem. Hopefully Kramaric becomes that man IN A CITY SHIRT! 

For me he is "class". Its his general attitude towards the game that makes him class, not to mention his position and the way he reads the game.

I get that he's lost his legs a bit but that's bound to happen with age. But to say he's "better than average" personally I think is nonsense. 

He's the most decorated Argentinian player, somehow I don't think you get that title by not being class. The problem is the lack of quality around him. 

I'd rather have Neil Lennon or Muzzy in their prime than the Cambiasso of now. But that doesn't mean I don't think he's a good player, yes he's aging, yes his legs have gone a bit and yes he gets a bit hung out to dry in the formation we play with two in the middle. But, his "class" is still there for all to see, or those that wish to see it anyway.

he's still the best player i've ever seen in a city shirt 

Which is why I stated that you must be young - which I hope wasn't taken as a personal abuse.

I've just checked and you are 20.

For you he's the best player you've ever seen in a city shirt. Your opinion. I can shut up on perhaps!

Actually he did and he's just repeated it. But thanks for the very slightly condescending reply.

You responded to Weller in tights, who said

"Cambiasso was world class and still shows a lot of his class"

I'll carry on being condescending as long as you keep on wilfully misrepresenting peoples views.

nah mate, gotta try a bit harder to offend me than calling me young haha. 

i've seen some pretty sick players play for us (mainly when i was very young, but still remember bits) but in terms of appreciating quite how good he was and still can be cambiasso is streets above anything i've seen. he really does just ooze class. as a kid, like i was when we had izzet, lennon, heskey etc i was too young to appreciate their quality, it was just if they did something ridiculous then i'd notice. now i get the game more and can see how good someone is through simple things like first time passes, how much space he often makes for himself and others etc rather than just good goals. 

in terms of a career he's probably the best player who will ever play for city. 

someone deleted your reply FIF so i will never know what you said which is a shame but we'll just agree to disagree and hope esteban plays as well as he can do for the next 8 games cos then we'll deffo stay up :D

someone deleted your reply FIF so i will never know what you said which is a shame but we'll just agree to disagree and hope esteban plays as well as he can do for the next 8 games cos then we'll deffo stay up :D

He didn't say anything worthy or deletion (in my opinion), merely requested that we didn't all pile in to conversations he was having with other people. He hadn't really changed his mind about the fact that Esetban Cambiasso isn't as good as he once was and that a bad Cambiasson isn't as good as a good Lennon or Izzett.

I too have had posts deleted on this thread and had a ban also. I know I've gone on a bit but feel quite strongly about the whole Cambiasso 'love-in'. For want of a better term.

I won't reiterate what I've said about him and his contribution to us. Some of which had been positively slanted, other posts more negative.

Basically, I'm with FIF over this. Rare really as we never seemed to agree on much before. I made a post following West Ham which basically said I enjoyed his lovely goal, BUT we also saw much of what I've been alluding to all season....West Ham midfielders running through, completely unmarked, time over...

Kouyate got their goal (yes, due to Schlupp ' error), but Jeff was left isolated, the same player also hit the post and Nolan squandered a header that was trademark Nolan...a run into the area COMPLETELY unchallenged by any defensive minded player.

The West Ham game saw the best and worse of our central midfield.. The worst being this lack of tracking back. It's been an issue all season and has been overlooked all season. For me, massively important. Whether it be Frank Lampard, Steeeeeeevie Gerrard or Bojan, these class players have been given far too much time on or around the edge of our area.

Not all Cambi's fault, no, but he's been culpable. No doubt in my mind.

It's been no coincidence whatsoever that when we have played Dean Hammond, a more defensive minded player AND with fresher legs, we have looked less fragile in this respect. And I think most people seem to agree with this?

So, Cambiasso has been good in some ways, poor in others IMO. This thread though, by many, makes out he's been great.

All I've said is look at the whole picture.

You seem to be alluding to the cm's being at fault for not covering the left back... really?

Don't just pick up on this one point Babs. The post was written in its entirety.

We've found our full back isolated many times this season. Delaet being probably the best example. But that was a minor point.

Of course Jeff was at error..that doesn't excuse Nolan being untracked or Kouyate again finding himself in tons of space to hit the post. If he would have scored then, the outcome would likely have been different I suspect.

My main point being that these are examples of midfield players. Well where, in those scenarios, we're ours?

Guest ttfn

Anybody who hasn't enjoyed watching Cambiasso playing for us this season should probably get a new hobby because I don't think football's for them.

I understand that certain people might have enjoyed it a lot more if he was better at tracking runners or whatever the latest scarcely tangible criticism is, but I'd suggest that's more a failing of a system which doesn't do enough to cover for the areas Cambiasso is weaker in (a point Col, to his credit, made long before I came round to that way of thinking, no matter what I may think of his general opinion of Cambiasso). That said, given that we now need to go for broke I see little option but to persist with a 4-2-3-1 with Cambiasso in the "2", at least for home games so we can look forward to a lot more finger-pointing every time we concede a goal.

Archived