Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Cambiasso = class

hmmm. Col, I am not one of the 'youth' that you are referring to and I am still not sure that you are right or whether this is a fair comparison. I would dismiss Claridge and Heskey from that list immediately (not to take away from their obvious abilities). Also, you are not comparing like-for-like; maybe the only one you might be able to compare with Camby is Muzzy; however, and this is a big however, you would have to put him in this team and see how he played. MON played a certain style and had a team that could rely on each other. The fact that you have named 4 players from the same team (ish) speaks volumes. When you can rely on those around you then you look better. Cambiasso is able to show his worth in a team that is, frankly, struggling. If you put Izzet in this team then he would look less good and, equally, if you put Cambiasso in the best MON team then he would look better.

I mentioned how I saw those players 'have an impact' on the various teams they played for.

Neil Lennon, for example, was THE engine room of any O'Neil side.

Both Steve Walsh and Matt Elliott have said that the presence of Lennon, sitting in front of the pair of them, mopping up and controlling the area of the pitch just in front of our penalty area made them look better players. Defensively as a unit, we were strong because of Neil Lennon. Do you imagine Wes Morgan saying the same thing about Cambiasso?

Emile Heskey, in his earlier years, could be literally unplayable. Forget those around him...This lad as we saw, could take the ball at feet just inside his own half, rampage through the opposition and hammer home goals. Muzzy Izzett, we saw too...score goals from nothing. One of the best goals I ever saw came at Grimsby, from nothing.

People seem to forget perhaps the crucial role that Steve Claridge played in our promotion season. Not because of the shinned goal, but because of the goals he scored that got us into the play offs.

His periodic lethal nature in front of goal then continued into the Premiership.

What 'crucial contribution' has Esteban had on Leicester City this season? He's scored goals..yes. But what about assists? Defensive blocks? People suggest he's a great motivator..a great leader...well unless I've missed something, we've played games in which he's started this season where our team has looked anything but motivated? Hull at home being possibly the best example. But there's been many others. That's why we currently sit bottom of the table.

One final time...Cambiasso has played some great games for us. He's also had some stinkers. For as many of the games he's played where he's really shone, I can recollect those where he's been poor. No worse than any of the other lads, but poor nonetheless.

The best player EVER in a City shirt THIS season (now)... pull the other one.

:nigel:

Are you really comparing Wes Morgan to Steve Walsh and Matt Elliot? Do you think Neil Lennon would of been comfortable in his and able to perform to the standard he did with Wes Morgan and Upson/Moore behind him? You can twist your argument in to any kind of knot you like but it doesn't make it accurate.

Absolutely..and heres the rub. I would trade any of the aforementioned four players in their pomp for a current Esteban Cambiasso.

An in form Emile Heskey, Neil Lennon, Muzzy Izzett or even Stevie Claridge holding the ball up and playing in his teammates, I believe, would have had a bigger impact on this Season than Cambiasso, thus far, has had.

I say it how I see it. But will now stop..or I'll get banned once more.

Over and out.

I just wonder how our best player this season, in a season to forget so far, can come in for criticism after a man of the match performance which gave us our first win at home in months.

What's the point in comparing him to ex players in there peak? Just appreciate how good he is, because he is head and shoulders above the rest of the current squad and a pleasure to watch.

He isn't going to track Nolan and beat him in the air, cover left back (the suggestion he could have been was baffling) or even beat song for pace/strength. But what he does do he is excellent at and that kept them in there own half most of the game and were limited to the odd counter when we pushed forward. They're a top half team with an expensive side, did expect to stop them having any chances?

All depends whether you mean NOW or at his best?

At his best, Cambiasso is the best player to have ever played for City, I suspect.

Now...i'd take Lennon, Heskey, Izzett or even Claridge in a heartbeat. All four had far more of an impact on how City plays than Cambiasso. As he is NOW.

C'mon, Colin. You know just as much as everyone else that the players you mentioned were roughly 10 years younger on average than Cambiasso at the time he first pulled on that Leicester shirt.

Give credit where credit is due - and take age into consideration, as well.

Besides, the team that MON assembled and the team spirit that came along with it will hardly ever be replicated.

Emile Heskey, in his earlier years, could be literally unplayable. Forget those around him...This lad as we saw, could take the ball at feet just inside his own half, rampage through the opposition and hammer home goals.

Funnily  I've seen Heskey plenty of times and never seen him play like that. Seen him shrug off players outside the box turn and score aright. He didn't have the best of a first touch but improved his touch when he went to Liverpool. A legend never the less though.

Cambi is streets ahead of anyone I've seen in terms of reading the game being ahead of the game. He sees things so quickly and with his ability he doesn't need a first touch. He really must have been some player at his peak. 

One final time...Cambiasso has played some great games for us. He's also had some stinkers. For as many of the games he's played where he's really shone, I can recollect those where he's been poor. No worse than any of the other lads, but poor nonetheless.

yeah sure.

Individually cambiasso is the best player we have had . But I'd take that whole midfield of Guppy, Izzet, Lennon and Savage, who together made a better team. But that's not Cambiasso's fault. If he was in that team we would have definitely improved for me, and the team he is in is certainly not of the same quality. 

Another one of Pearson's favorites :thumbup:

lol...and the fans.

Today is a big game in my eyes. Win at the Hawthorns and we give ourselves a great chance of staying up, plus that all important psychological boost to kick on.

But....there's been an awful lot of talk this season. About how good Cambiasso is, now Pearson saying he's 'getting better', and about how he's a 'natural leader on the pitch'. Some are even calling for him to be the next manager?

So.....let's see it again today. Let's see a midfield controlled by Cambiasso and his team-mates, with good positioning, strong defensive play and some creativity.

If we come away again today having conceded soft goals due to being put under too much pressure, I'm going to be disappointed.

Let's do the talking on the pitch. I'm going to see a game today, I hope, that gives me renewed enthusiasm that Pearson is turning the corner.

lol...and the fans.

Today is a big game in my eyes. Win at the Hawthorns and we give ourselves a great chance of staying up, plus that all important psychological boost to kick on.

But....there's been an awful lot of talk this season. About how good Cambiasso is, now Pearson saying he's 'getting better', and about how he's a 'natural leader on the pitch'. Some are even calling for him to be the next manager?

So.....let's see it again today. Let's see a midfield controlled by Cambiasso and his team-mates, with good positioning, strong defensive play and some creativity.

If we come away again today having conceded soft goals due to being put under too much pressure, I'm going to be disappointed.

Let's do the talking on the pitch. I'm going to see a game today, I hope, that gives me renewed enthusiasm that Pearson is turning the corner.

Great post!!

Honestly he is the best player I have ever seen in my time as a leicester fan. His vision is unbelievable,the way he plays first touch passes is class. He is constantly scanning so when the ball comes to him he can play quick. Can anyone tell me a better player we have had in the last 25 years?

Neil Lennon and Muzzy Izzet were definately more influencial but obviously they were at their peak when they played for us.

Cambiasso has been a joy to watch and some of his performance have been top class. Arsenal away springs to mind.

Cambiasso is clearly a class act, but at his age he needs 'legs ' as a midfield partner.... James, Drinkwater, Hammond and King are the choices... We all know that Drinkwater has had a nightmare of a season and hasn't been capable of making the step up . Hammond is too slow and old.. So that leaves James and King as the only two options.. Cambiasso needs to play in a three man midfield at his age.. Which two midfield players from our past would you choose to play with him?... How about Izzet and Parker??

Archived