Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wilson_6

Huth & Upson

The only time I was worried with Upson was when a ball went over the top and he was about 3 or 4 yards off the pace of the attacker. Other than that, having 2 CB's comfortable on the ball will see a massive improvement in our general overall play.

Was is decent enough defensively but the man gives away possession so cheaply he ends up putting us under pressure immediately. I don't think it's a coincidence that we were playing some of our better football this season with 2 players that can play football at the back.

Which was when we went 2 at the back and were pushing forward for an equaliser. Upson, huth and was as a 3 would make us more solid and allow us to play from the back better. No brainier in my eyes.

The only time I was worried with Upson was when a ball went over the top and he was about 3 or 4 yards off the pace of the attacker. Other than that, having 2 CB's comfortable on the ball will see a massive improvement in our general overall play.

Was is decent enough defensively but the man gives away possession so cheaply he ends up putting us under pressure immediately. I don't think it's a coincidence that we were playing some of our better football this season with 2 players that can play football at the back.

Unless a large chunk of this post is sarcastic I'm not sure I know where to start.

At a higher level pace in a centre back is less and less important, reading the game is the key ability. It's not Sunday League where teams just punt the ball in behind and get a fast striker to chase. Huth and Upson for me gives a balance of left/right foot, strong in the tackle and the air and can distribute the ball well.

There's a lot folk won't notice about Upson what makes him a better defender than what we have. 

In aerial battles against Benteke, he was doing something which showed all his experience. He would get his body across him and underneath him. The likelyhood was that Benteke was going to win the header and you don't want to give away a foul. So by doing what he did, you make sure the header can't be powerful and its difficult to direct. Hence it largely nullified him. 

I'm yet to see all these carthorse attributes I was personally expecting. In fact, the one ball over the top he managed to get back and block the shot for a corner on Sunday. 

Upson looked absolutely awful against Villa and came off injured against Arsenal. Why on earth would anyone want him in ahead of Wazza?

I thought he looked pretty solid to be honest, certainly wasn't awful.

I'd go with Huth and Wasyl as a pairing if we were going to start with just the 2 CB's though.

Upson looks like he's clinging onto fitness by a thread. Only aa matter of time before he's injured again and perhaps for the last time. Hugh looks a better prospect, but whichever way you look at it, that we're here with Schwarzer, Upson, Konch, Wasyl, Hugh, Morgan and Simpson makes a complete mockery out of any suggestion that Pearson is "building something" here. He's building something old and crap.

Have we signed a new Centre Half called Hugh then?

Wasyl is giving possesion away cheaply? Dude, are you sure you read these shirt numbers properly?

I agree that pace isn't essential, at either centre half or at full back. What you need is good footballers, pace often just hides the fact that a player is actually quite a poor footballer for the standard that they're playing at (i.e. Schlupp and de Laet). Huth and Upson are more than experienced enough to make up for a lack of pace. It's not as if we play with an ultra high line

I agree with that. How many goals we've conceded this season have been because of lack of pace? It's more down to silly mistakes rather than a lack of speed.

Saying that, having more pace at the back does allow you to press a bit higher so we may be limiting ourselves without really realising it.

Upson looked absolutely awful against Villa and came off injured against Arsenal. Why on earth would anyone want him in ahead of Wazza?

That's an overstatement if I've ever seen one. Didn't think he was any worse than the others.

Upson wasn't awful, and certainly wasn't any worse than any other of our defenders. The only time I was worried was when the ball was played over the top because Upson lacks pace, but other than that he looked good on the ball and the most composed of our defenders.

Bit worried about pace, especially if Simpson & Konch are the fullbacks complementing them.

Was Huth Upson

RDL ------------Schlupp

?

Would stick to this for the time being.

3-5-2 with Mahrez coming into the centre of midfield in front of James & Hammond hopefully.

I really like the idea of Wasyl - Huth - Upson. It's very balanced with both Wasyl and Upson having a bit of full-back experience.

For this to be most effective though we really need to consider playing De Laet ahead of Simpson and (maybe) Schlupp ahead of Konchesky. I say maybe because Konchesky is naturally quite an attacking minded fullback anyway (he started his career playing at left-mid back in the 1960s or whenever it was).

I'd then go Matty James (second name on the team sheet atm!) and Cambiasso

Then Mahrez just behind Kramaric (1st name on the team sheet!) and Nugent

Off the ball it turns into a 5-4-1, maybe even 7-2-1, or Leicester's favourite 9-1 formation

On the ball it's more like 3-4-2-1, real emphasis should be put on the wing-backs getting forward!

I really like the idea of Wasyl - Huth - Upson. It's very balanced with both Wasyl and Upson having a bit of full-back experience.

For this to be most effective though we really need to consider playing De Laet ahead of Simpson and (maybe) Schlupp ahead of Konchesky. I say maybe because Konchesky is naturally quite an attacking minded fullback anyway (he started his career playing at left-mid back in the 1960s or whenever it was).

I'd then go Matty James (second name on the team sheet atm!) and Cambiasso

Then Mahrez just behind Kramaric (1st name on the team sheet!) and Nugent

Off the ball it turns into a 5-4-1, maybe even 7-2-1, or Leicester's favourite 9-1 formation

On the ball it's more like 3-4-2-1, real emphasis should be put on the wing-backs getting forward!

That would make him about 70 years old  :P

Wasyl and Huth,

Individually I'd say Wasyl has probably been the best defender I've seen this season (including other teams), he is just a rock.

Agree but the sad thing is being our best defender this season has not been difficult to achieve. Don't know enough about other teams to comment on their defenders.

Agree but the sad thing is being our best defender this season has not been difficult to achieve. Don't know enough about other teams to comment on their defenders.

my infatuation aside, I feel a bit sorry for him because he's barely done anything wrong but he's part of the worst defence in the league.

Archived