Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Additional Coaching Staff to help Shakespeare?

9 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Are you being serious?

You think he won't know the requirements and permutations? I really have heard it all now!

Of course I'm not - just a strange way of making a relevant point. You think claudio wanted a draw at milwall? Course he didn't so why make that sub? Pressure and stress does things to people. 

7 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Would be great to have Powell back. Very sensible and on-the-ball type of person.

But with his ''affection'' to Charlton, he may also be interested in going back there?

I doubt it whilst Charlton still have the looney owners in who sacked him.

What has Chris Powell ever done to deserve his apparent cult status?

Sacked by Charlton. Sacked by Derby. Sentiment or being a Leicester old boy doesn't make him a good coach.

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

Sacked by Charlton. Sacked by Derby. Sentiment or being a Leicester old boy doesn't make him a good coach.

Getting sacked as a manager doesn't make him a bad coach either, neither does getting sacked along with the manager who makes all the decisions.

The reality is, the bloke was very well liked here, he knows the club, the club know him and more importantly our new manager knows him. Shaky will know what he's like as a coach, so if he thinks he's up to the job then it's a bit of a no brainer really. You couldn't have a much better fit available.

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Getting sacked as a manager doesn't make him a bad coach either, neither does getting sacked along with the manager who makes all the decisions.

The reality is, the bloke was very well liked here, he knows the club, the club know him and more importantly our new manager knows him. Shaky will know what he's like as a coach, so if he thinks he's up to the job then it's a bit of a no brainer really. You couldn't have a much better fit available.

Completely agree with you Babylon (I think that's a few times now !), Powell was very well regarded here, clearly got on with all at the club (including Shakey) and I don't think anyone has ever doubted his ability as a Coach.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Phillips I can see working, he was here with most of the squad and only left 18 months ago for a perfectly sensible promotion.  Powell left over 6 years ago now.

You should remember that Powell went to Derby as Pearson's Assistant.  Pearson has always rated him.  Together with Nige, Shakespeare and Stowell worked with him over a decent period,  They both know him and know what he can do for the club.  He was also very popular with the players, at least two of whom are still at the club. 

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Exactly my thoughts. We don't need a "job for the boys" but people who shows signs they can genuinely make a difference in whatever role but, particularly, in getting far more out of our Academy and Under 23 operation than seems to be the case at present. When Powell shows some evidence of that I'll start being impressed.       

Charlton were bottom of the league when Powell was sacked. He was also sacked at Huddersfield and now at Derby. 

He has done very little as a manager aside from getting Charlton out of League One. 

Is he a good coach? Usually decent coaches are kept by the club regardless, look at Shakespeare. Pearson didn't take Powell to Hull either where as Shakespeare (and Walsh) both went with him.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

If you were running a football club, would you really sack someone you knew to be a top quality coach?   

1 minute ago, Thracian said:

If you were running a football club, would you really sack someone you knew to be a top quality coach?   

Firstly you presume Mel Morris / other owners knows a good coach when he sees one. The fact he goes through more managers than most says he hasn't got a clue.

Secondly, it depends on who the new man coming in is and what he wants. It also depends on what the coach himself would want, perhaps he's not willing to get demoted down the pecking order by a new man.

I'd do what was right for the situation I found myself in... there are times to keep and times to get rid.

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Looks like it will be Rowett in at Derby.  Good outcome if so.  Hadn't realised Brum dropped 10 places since they sacked him.  Twats.

Phillips could soon be on his way out then ?!  IF the owners give Shakey the go ahead to recruit additional Coaching assistance and IF he wants help, he might have to make up his mind who he wants soon.  I doubt that Vichai will let him have more than one extra Coach - so he might have to choose between two mates - Powell or Phillips ?!

11 hours ago, bald reynard said:

Phillips could soon be on his way out then ?!  IF the owners give Shakey the go ahead to recruit additional Coaching assistance and IF he wants help, he might have to make up his mind who he wants soon.  I doubt that Vichai will let him have more than one extra Coach - so he might have to choose between two mates - Powell or Phillips ?!

It has just been announced that Rowett is keeping Kevin Phillips on the Coaching staff.  So, if Shakey wants one of his chums to help out now, it would have to be Powell.

If he came, it might only be short term - I see Nige is being linked with Brum.  If he goes there, no doubt he'll want Powell as his Assistant again.

7 hours ago, bald reynard said:

It has just been announced that Rowett is keeping Kevin Phillips on the Coaching staff.  So, if Shakey wants one of his chums to help out now, it would have to be Powell.

If he came, it might only be short term - I see Nige is being linked with Brum.  If he goes there, no doubt he'll want Powell as his Assistant again.

It will be interesting to see if Chris Powell is at the KP tonight ?!

18 hours ago, bald reynard said:

It will be interesting to see if Chris Powell is at the KP tonight ?!

Someone I know, told me he thought he saw Powell going into the Directors entrance, with Rudkin, Peter Schmeichel and Beaglehole, a couple of hours before the game last night.  I didn't see him sitting with Rudkin and Schmeichel in the Stand though.

Did anyone else see him?

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:24, NewEnglandFox said:

I think he says "I'm coming home soon."

Fzm2zuj.gif

OoL17lS.gif

Clearly, Powell is very at home at the KP!  Even if he was there for Derby, he seems to have good connections with a lot of our guys.

On 14/03/2017 at 09:41, bald reynard said:

Birmingham won't go for Pearson, he's a bit too 'damaged goods' at the moment.  With us and Derby, he's fallen out with too many people in power.  The Birmingham owners will want someone bringing stability.  They also will want an International 'name' - like they did with Zola.  IF they ditch Gianfranco (likely - if not now, then at the end of the season), they'll look abroad.

If Shakespeare wants help, Powell is in pole - for as long as Shakey's there that is !

15 hours ago, Outfox the Fox said:

Birmingham won't go for Pearson, he's a bit too 'damaged goods' at the moment.  With us and Derby, he's fallen out with too many people in power.  The Birmingham owners will want someone bringing stability.  They also will want an International 'name' - like they did with Zola.  IF they ditch Gianfranco (likely - if not now, then at the end of the season), they'll look abroad.

If Shakespeare wants help, Powell is in pole - for as long as Shakey's there that is !

Nige being linked with Norwich now.  Delia might be more prepared to take a gamble on him, than some foreign owners - she's just as bonkers !

Archived