davieG Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Groundhog Day. Nigel Pearson is already looking ahead to next season Comments (0)Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson will look to strengthen his squad this summer but said it does not mean he will be spending big. The City boss has been developing his current squad – which has secured Premier League survival with a game to go – during the past three years. He said he has identified targets who will enhance the squad further. City have invested steadily and that will continue, said Pearson, but Leonardo Ulloa remains the club's record signing at £8million, which is not a huge fee in Premier League terms. Pearson said City would not start spending huge amounts in the transfer market, and that fans' perception that they will be splashing the cash could prove to be an issue. "I don't know what people's perceptions are, but I recognise that it is a potential problem," he said. "We are not all of a sudden going to start spending £25m, £35m, £40m and wages on a player. It doesn't happen. "We may do one day but we have a good idea where we are at, we know the types of players we are looking for. "You only have to look at some of the situations at other clubs where you can actually point out how they have tried to do it in a different way and it doesn't always work out. We have wealthy owners but they are very clever, astute business people. "We have identified players we would like to bring to the football club who will enhance what we have got at the club, and we will be working hard to bring those players in. "Whether they meet the expectation of what the public want, I don't know what people's expectations are. "We will try to strengthen in a way that makes us better than we are now, makes us able to compete more vigorously and allows us to perform more evenly over a season." Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-spending-big-summer-says-Nigel/story-26540436-detail/story.html#ixzz3agwn7iQm Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook
Foxymcoxy Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 All he says is we won't spend 25m plus on one player. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we paid that and more in total though, which is big spending to us.
Finnaldo Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 He seems he's quoting £25 million as the bottom end of 'big money'. To be honest I'd expect £15 million tops to be spent on one player and I imagine most will cost between £2-10 million. Not going to read too much into this at this point.
FOXES-BROWNBOY Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 dont need to go mad on buying players but need a few additions, reckon he will spend between £25-30
Stevosevic Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 £25m on one player, Jesus, nobody is expecting that Nige We'll spend about £20m through the summer i imagine
TOMBlcfc Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I wonder if he always says this to have digs at Dyche [emoji23] I support whatever he thinks is right in the transfer window and I'm sure most fans would as well. Keep building without disrupting, sounds good to me
cc_star Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 "We have identified players we would like to bring to the football club who will enhance what we have got at the club, and we will be working hard to bring those players in. "Whether they meet the expectation of what the public want, I don't know what people's expectations are. "We will try to strengthen in a way that makes us better than we are now, makes us able to compete more vigorously and allows us to perform more evenly over a season." Good to hear
Crinklyfox Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Last summer NP didn't get the players he wanted and we suffered as a consequence. It may be a little easier this year as an 'established' PL team rather than a Championship promoted side but if he has a limited budget expect the targets to be players approaching the end of their careers. I've no problem with that, we have a few weaknesses in the side that need to be strengthened. The medium term target has to be to develop a squad full of Premier league quality players that can obtain a mid table position for the club. We are unlikely to finish that job in one season.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I reckon: - if Cambiasso stays - spend around £15m total (including £3-5m on Huth if possible) - if Cambiasso leaves - spend around £30m total. He'll be an expensive but necessary one to replace if he leaves
cc_star Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Not spending big? Says the man who spent £9m on a 23 year old potentially very good player in Kram
weller54 Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Not spending big? Says the man who spent £9m on a 23 year old potentially very good player in Kram Pocket money in premier league terms!.. Spurs spent 29m on Soldado!!.. Ouch!!!!
gurru991 Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Not spending big? Says the man who spent £9m on a 23 year old potentially very good player in Kram I stoll believe that Kram will turn out to be a great buy.
cc_star Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I stoll believe that Kram will turn out to be a great buy. I wasn't insinuating he wouldn't be. He looks to have the talent, he came into our team when all wasn't well & I'm not sure he was up to our tempo in our improved performances, nothing a close season preparation & Beacon Hill wouldn't sort out
GingerrrFox Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Nige, I'd be happy with £25 million total spend. Never mind on 1 player!!!!
kingfox Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 The max we should spend is 8-10 million on a central midfielder, few million on players in other positions & one or two freebies.
LAprice_ Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I don't want to sound naive but I really don't believe we need to spend much at all. Go all out to sign Huth, tempt Cambiasso with a lucrative offer and then bring in bargains. Decent players don't necessarily cost loads of money, with a scouting system (Walsh!) as good as ours, you'd expect more hidden gems from France. I also reckon the signing of Kramaric in January was done with the idea that he'd be "ready" for the start of the new season. I think it's right to treat him like a youth player. He may have the quality but he lacks experience. Slowly integrating him into the team is the best option.
Dan Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Headline reading at its finest here. It's a completely fabricated non-story that as usual, gives nothing away.
Finn Claw II Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 If I was about to spend £30m plus the last thing I'd say in the press is 'Yup Top has given me his credit card and, to be fair, I quite fancy a bit of a splurge...'
Dan Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I don't want to sound naive but I really don't believe we need to spend much at all. Go all out to sign Huth, tempt Cambiasso with a lucrative offer and then bring in bargains. Decent players don't necessarily cost loads of money, with a scouting system (Walsh!) as good as ours, you'd expect more hidden gems from France. I also reckon the signing of Kramaric in January was done with the idea that he'd be "ready" for the start of the new season. I think it's right to treat him like a youth player. He may have the quality but he lacks experience. Slowly integrating him into the team is the best option. Either that or that he was signed knowing that if we went down we'd probably still have a buyer for him anyway.
RonnieTodger Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 I had no idea Robert Huth is only 30, he's been around for ages. Still won't be too pricey.
queensguardfox Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 i think the big signing will be Huth for around 5-6m Just wages for cambiaso no idea where else he is looking at improving... Vardy is coming into his own and krammy will be looking to hit the ground running. maybe a James replacement but apart from that no idea......
MPH Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 ooh Nigel, you sly dog you.... I havnt heard this from you before.....
MC Prussian Posted 20 May 2015 Posted 20 May 2015 Nevemind the "not spending big" part... ... we will be spending this summer. #ITK #Youhearditherefirst
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.