Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood there are two kind of clubs in the Premier League.

Those with 40,000+ stadiums who plan to be a permanent fixture in the league and those with sub 40,000 who are hanging around until there time is up.

What like Villa, Leeds , Newcastle and Sunderland do you mean ?

32 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

What like Villa, Leeds , Newcastle and Sunderland do you mean ?

Clearly having a large stadium doesn't prevent you from chronic mismanagement from the top like all those teams had.

The extra money and pull needs to be used correctly, but it should give you an advantage if you do.

Not sure the size of the stadium is any guide to likely success.

Wenger's most trophy laden years were at Highbury when the capacity was less than 40,000.

If you  increase the capacity by 10,000 and say sell them as season tickets at an average

of £500 a go then this only brings in another £5 million ... chicken feed these days

I'm in favour of the expansion for the simple reason that more people are able to go

11 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

If you  increase the capacity by 10,000 and say sell them as season tickets at an average

of £500 a go then this only brings in another £5 million ... chicken feed these days

You're right about us mere mortal STH bringing in low amounts, but it's all about corporate hospitality now, I'd expect a few conference rooms in the new build to host a few hundred more on match days.

That's where match day money is to be had. Plus the amount of business deals that lead from it, wheels within wheels.

There's the opportunity cost of thousands of fans missing out on watching games, which is compounded through lower retail and catering sales. In the short term yeah it's costly but over 10, 15 and 20 years it'll pay itself off and more. If you're looking at things from only a financial perspective then that's firstly wrong because footballs about a lot more than that. Secondly it's a hallmark of the club growing in size and reputation - capacity has a weak positive correlation with success but really what's the harm in expanding? 

My my chief concern is the atmosphere being affected but from what the owners have said they're equally concerned too so I can't see it being a problem (the acoustics are a shit excuse for a lack of atmosphere anyway). Another problem is that if we're relegated then we'll struggle to sell out but I'd rather have to resolve that issue than thousands missing out now.

I wasn't really fussed about expansion but then I thought that the upside is huge in comparison to the negatives of expansion.

50 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think expanding the east stand would be the best option, less likely to effect atmosphere hopefully. Can't see it happening for at least 2 years though 

Why would it be less likely to affect atmosphere if you extend east stand?

35 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Not sure the size of the stadium is any guide to likely success.

Wenger's most trophy laden years were at Highbury when the capacity was less than 40,000.

I'm in favour of the expansion for the simple reason that more people are able to go

And thats probably the single best reason for the expansion. There's an awful lot of people that have been season ticket holders for years and had to give them up for whatever

reason, and then haven't been able to attend a single match this last crazy couple of years.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes, if implemented it could do. Believe it could safely be allowed to increase the capacity of any given area by around 50%.

Even though the fans would be standing in front of the seat surely the police would want each seat designated to one person? 

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes, if implemented it could do. Believe it could safely be allowed to increase the capacity of any given area by around 50%.

How would that work if it has to be a folded up seat?

47 minutes ago, Unclenobhead said:

Why would it be less likely to affect atmosphere if you extend east stand?

I'm thinking it's either the east stand or west stand that can be extended. Seeing as the east stand has a far better atmosphere than the west, the core people in the East stand will remain and the extra people who will eventually sit in the east stand will be encouraged to participate in the singing/chants. That was my logic.. Perhaps it's flawed. 

5 minutes ago, red5 said:

How would that work if it has to be a folded up seat?

The seats are locked when not required

Just now, hejammy said:

I'm thinking it's either the east stand or west stand that can be extended. Seeing as the east stand has a far better atmosphere than the west, the core people in the East stand will remain and the extra people who will eventually sit in the east stand will be encouraged to participate in the singing/chants. That was my logic.. Perhaps it's flawed. 

It's the east stand, it was said when the stadium was built that only the east stand could be extended.

1 minute ago, hejammy said:

The West Stand would be extremely difficult to expand.

Just now, red5 said:

I know but it still has to be a seat space, or do they let more in?

I think they can if the evacuation points/routes can handle it.

Just now, hejammy said:

That's ok mate I generally agree, I thought for a minute you were going to say start with the east as you wouldn't miss them as opposed to the west. 

I sat sat in the west a couple of times last season and it was awful, im so glad I managed to get my season ticket in the east. 

The East stand is probably the best side to expand on; as there's both space to expand further behind with out affecting the road behind and also can have more boxes there which would be viable for £££ reasons.

I believe when the seats are locked up it then becomes a rail and you can stand along it as if the seat is non existent.

There will obviously be a minimum space requirement as to how many you can stand along each row but it's far less than a seat and gap in between take up meaning you can fit 40-50% extra in.

It's not linked to one for each seat as the seat no longer exists 

2 hours ago, Jamiebux said:

Does the safe standing increase capacity? 

16 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

1 minute ago, red5 said:

I know but it still has to be a seat space, or do they let more in?

I'd have thought, seats and spacing aside, that safety regulations in the case of fire escapes and routes and things of that ilk would be pretty restrictive on how much the capacity could be increased by, if it could be increased at all. 

4 minutes ago, Unclenobhead said:

That's ok mate I generally agree, I thought for a minute you were going to say start with the east as you wouldn't miss them as opposed to the west. 

I sat sat in the west a couple of times last season and it was awful, im so glad I managed to get my season ticket in the east. 

The ironic thing is I actually sit in the west stand. I've been there for years and I actually like the view from where I sit. I sat in the east stand for the Chelsea Cup game and yes the atmosphere is far better. Unfortunately I'm a creature of habits. 

8 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The East stand is probably the best side to expand on; as there's both space to expand further behind woth out affecting the road behind and also can have more boxes there which would be viable for £££ reasons.

You can keep your boxes and prawn sandwiches well away thank you!!

Archived