Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

29 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No, he meant Villa. 

Well obviously there are anomalies but clubs like Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle expect to be in the PL.

Over the long term these clubs will spend more time in the top flight than smaller clubs there at the moment like Swansea, Watford, Bournemouth, etc.

We're somewhere in the middle of them. If you're happy to be "little ol' Leicester"  then thats fine. I just want my club to be a big and successful as it can possibly be and that includes being ambitious and getting the extra status and revenue that comes with a club that gets 40,000+ gates.

You can mock the likes of Villa all you want for temporarily being a Championship club but with small time mentality they'll overtake us again soon enough.

55 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Well obviously there are anomalies but clubs like Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle expect to be in the PL.

Over the long term these clubs will spend more time in the top flight than smaller clubs there at the moment like Swansea, Watford, Bournemouth, etc.

We're somewhere in the middle of them. If you're happy to be "little ol' Leicester"  then thats fine. I just want my club to be a big and successful as it can possibly be and that includes being ambitious and getting the extra status and revenue that comes with a club that gets 40,000+ gates.

You can mock the likes of Villa all you want for temporarily being a Championship club but with small time mentality they'll overtake us again soon enough.

If you look back through the thread you'll see I'm not happy to be "little old Leicester". :)

We can't stay as we are and keep kicking 18 year olds STH's and their parents out of the family stand into the general seating. Eventually the only ones who would be able to get tickets would be those with kids. 

I think 42000 is about 3-4000 more than we need on a standard PL match day but if we're going to build it, it has to be worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

lol villa are rotten to the core. If anything they will drop further before they come back. Once doc China has had enough they will be in the shit.

We sell out every game, yes I know some seats are empty but my Brother for example hasn't been for 3 years, can't get a ticket and doesn't even ring up, that's what it's like for a lot of folk.

We need a ground that is big enough to cater everybody that wants to come, end off.

7 hours ago, dayday said:

We sell out every game, yes I know some seats are empty but my Brother for example hasn't been for 3 years, can't get a ticket and doesn't even ring up, that's what it's like for a lot of folk.

We need a ground that is big enough to cater everybody that wants to come, end off.

Im not really sure that is the case. I was a gold member last year and never had any trouble getting a ticket and I took my son (silver member) and 2 daughters who are just members to the Sunderland game because they went to general sale. So I'd have to say if your brother hasn't gone for 3 years then he must have other reasons 

1 hour ago, Unclenobhead said:

Im not really sure that is the case. I was a gold member last year and never had any trouble getting a ticket and I took my son (silver member) and 2 daughters who are just members to the Sunderland game because they went to general sale. So I'd have to say if your brother hasn't gone for 3 years then he must have other reasons 

Like I said he just presumes the games are sold out,  and did that Sunderland game really go to general sale considering the amount of Gold and Silver members we have?, I'm a season ticket holder and I wasn't aware it did.

9 hours ago, dayday said:

I know a fair few fans who work shift work like me and they haven't been to many games over the last season or two as they presume we have sold out most games etc etc

i for example can only probably get to 1 out of every 3 games at most (just re work alone) and found tickets very difficult to obtain over the last couple of seasons at least

So my guy i mentioned several pages back, was correct in the sense that he told me the club had purchased a load of property etc and that plans were in place to do something. Admittedly the timing was out but hey what can you do.

I think this thread shows how far behind we are as fans in terms of thinking. Our obsession with capacity as an indicator of potential success rather than amenities shows how out of whack our priorities are. 'Big' clubs aren't extending their grounds to get capacity they're moving wholesale to new grounds to enhance experience and broaden revenue streams. They don't want more of the same support, they want more of new kinds of support. 

The US designers who mentioned us work on stadiums such offer a range of facilities and design to promote that rather than simply cramming seats in. I don't think the owners want to simply whack seats in and expand the ground, they want to expand the experience. 

10 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

I think this thread shows how far behind we are as fans in terms of thinking. Our obsession with capacity as an indicator of potential success rather than amenities shows how out of whack our priorities are. 'Big' clubs aren't extending their grounds to get capacity they're moving wholesale to new grounds to enhance experience and broaden revenue streams. They don't want more of the same support, they want more of new kinds of support. 

The US designers who mentioned us work on stadiums such offer a range of facilities and design to promote that rather than simply cramming seats in. I don't think the owners want to simply whack seats in and expand the ground, they want to expand the experience

I liked last years experience 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I liked last years experience 

We all did. Our capacity had **** all to do with it. As it's unlikely to happen again I think we'll see us going the route of Spurs in terms of what you can access at the ground (though probably not quite as flash). 

57 minutes ago, dayday said:

Like I said he just presumes the games are sold out,  and did that Sunderland game really go to general sale considering the amount of Gold and Silver members we have?, I'm a season ticket holder and I wasn't aware it did.

Yes it did mate, it was a midweek night game there were quite a few tickets left, I got me and the 3 kids 2 rows from the front in the west stand all sat together. We got on fan cam and kids gave filbert a high 5 they loved it. 

11 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

So my guy i mentioned several pages back, was correct in the sense that he told me the club had purchased a load of property etc and that plans were in place to do something. Admittedly the timing was out but hey what can you do.

Let's hope they crack on with it now asap  :D

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:09, Happy Fox said:

Didn't someone mention 50,000? I think 42,000 is a reasonable size for us to progress the club to the next stage of our premier league era.

Agreed. 50,000 is too big.

But we can't afford to fall behind Championship clubs and clubs traditionally smaller than us.

The likes of Brighton and Derby are getting big crowds and they certainly shouldn't be able to compete with us in that sense.

I'd like to think they'd use the expansion as an excuse to make the ground much better aesthetically and in terms of the acoustics if possible, but I'm not holding my breath. Modern stadiums and expansions are generally hideous and understated.

If we're only doing one stand we need to use Elland Road as the blueprint. Wish we could to a total makeover tbh.

2 hours ago, Quorndon_Fox said:

Looks like it will defiantly be unique, love the rounded roof and high support beam idea

Would rather have a traditional roof myself. Rounded in the sense that it curves from back to front can certainly work but if it's like an arch shape a la Huddersfield and Bolton, well it will look awful like they do.

This is a chance to get a proper English football stadium, it would be sad (but expected) if we went down the route of these overly elaborate designs that neither make the sound reverberate nor look good.

Also there's an obsession these days with making a stadium as symmetrical as possible, but it looks far better to have unique stands (e.g. it's not much of a Kop if it's exactly the same as the Family Stand) and much better for the acoustics to have separate roofs.

On 25/06/2017 at 09:10, fleckneymike said:

The US designers who mentioned us work on stadiums such offer a range of facilities and design to promote that rather than simply cramming seats in. I don't think the owners want to simply whack seats in and expand the ground, they want to expand the experience. 

Most of those big clubs moving to new grounds are doing so because it was physically impossible to increase their grounds where they were, or just not cost effective. United have constantly increased the size of their ground over the years, Liverpool only just added to theirs, Newcastle regularly upgraded theirs over the years as well. 

We aren't Spurs, Chelsea City who knew they had the huge demand for massive new stadiums either, and we don't have the financial input from the owners to make sure we aren't relegated a laughing stock again in a brand new huge stadium we can't fill.

I think where we are is currently banging on a few more seats and exec boxes, that might take us to the next level of teams in size with your Villas, Evertons, Newcastles and out of the group of very similar sized clubs. Maybe then after anther few decades of growth like we've had since moving to the KP, we'll be in a position to look and think even bigger.

Archived