Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Clarkson and friends.

Terrible move in my opinion. Amazon prime is a TINY fraction of the audience they were attracting. Netflix would have made far more sense if they were going down the streaming route. I can see this sinking after a season or two. There isnt nearly enough people who have Amazon prime and they'll go from 100's of millions of viewers to a couple of million viewers. Probably would have done better just putting it on youtube then this. 

They'll have signed a contract so they'll get paid, so without being too cynical they're probably not that arsed about the viewing figures.  If they were that bothered about reaching out to viewers Jez probably wouldn't have punched that producer.

Yes, yes. As I said above, very much this.

It's tricky, isn't it, because if they're in competition with each other they've got to be seen to be different, but from a consumer point of view, it all just seems a bit shit.  You've supposedly got a ton of choice, but actually getting to watch what you want to see could end up costing a small fortune

They'll have signed a contract so they'll get paid, so without being too cynical they're probably not that arsed about the viewing figures.  If they were that bothered about reaching out to viewers Jez probably wouldn't have punched that producer.

It's tricky, isn't it, because if they're in competition with each other they've got to be seen to be different, but from a consumer point of view, it all just seems a bit shit.  You've supposedly got a ton of choice, but actually getting to watch what you want to see could end up costing a small fortune

Right. Competition only works when the companies involved are offering the same product that everyone wants or needs. That would only apply in this case if each site offered the same shows, rather than having exclusive rights to them. 

Makes a mockery of the free market.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll watch Clarkson not Evans.

You might, but I remain utterly unconvinced that Amazon Prime will pull in enough punters for them, which I've said earlier in this thread. There's no doubting their popularity, but AP is merely Netflix's poor cousin and given how restrictive their accessibility and library are I'm not sure I'll see that changing.

What is the quality of the Netflix picture like...most of the streamed stuff I've watched has been pretty poor. I see no point in having a decent TV and watching indistinct, grainy programs....Oh sh1t it's Amazon, I'll not be signing up, it's almost like they've already hijacked my browser when searching with Google, wouldn't like to hand them any more opportunity's to get at my TV as well.

What is the quality of the Netflix picture like...most of the streamed stuff I've watched has been pretty poor. I see no point in having a decent TV and watching indistinct, grainy programs....Oh sh1t it's Amazon, I'll not be signing up, it's almost like they've already hijacked my browser when searching with Google, wouldn't like to hand them any more opportunity's to get at my TV as well.

Like everything else it depends on your connection, but for the most part I've had zero problems.

get off talktalk dial up then pal

Amazon clocked nearly $90 billion in revenue last year, whether they're a failure or not, the three season risk is a drop in their huge ocean. I suspect their strategy will be to utilise them to flog Prime for it's other advantages, potentially in advertising or promotional material, as well as getting subscriptions for watching the show.

Amazon Prime has more subscribers than netflix in the US, somewhere around the 40m mark. Only about 50% of amazon customers are prime subscribers so still plenty of room for growth. This will be another way to draw in subscribers, which will in turn help their other lines of revenue.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeremy Clarkson 'will receive £10m a year for new Amazon show': Former Top Gear host tipped to receive £800,000 per episode (and his co-stars won't be badly off either)
Former Top Gear host will reportedly pocket £30m over three years
The rumoured fee means 55-year-old will be Britain's highest paid TV host 
Richard Hammond, James May and Andy Wilman will reportedly get £7.2m
Amazon Prime apparently spent £160m signing up the trio for new series

• 5 months later...

Archived