Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Ben Chilwell

I thought he overlapped more than Fuchs, or Simpson ever do. In the last few games he's ended up in the box quite a few times.

Yeah there was a few times he got in behind and caused a few problems. There were others where Gray had held it up nicely and there was a huge area for Chillwell to run into. It's probably tactical though, as you say, Fuchs and Simpson rarely seem to do it. 

Hopefully Ranieri takes off the shackles a little and let's Fuchs especially get forward more as he can put in a dangerous cross.

Can't agree with the OP.

I didn't think Chilwell looked anything other than a good young prospect.

He also got caught out of position too often and Spurs exploited our left side time over.

I made a point during the game that Christian Erikssen was completely pulling the strings in the midfield and, about half way through the second half, no-one had tracked a run of his where, if he would have been slid in down our left hand side, he'd have been clean through to pull the trigger. Inler and King were nowhere and I think Chilwell had been caught upfield.

But he's a kid, looks to have talent and will only learn. Compared though to Fuchs, he's miles off (understandably) in terms of positional awareness.

One for the future. Not ready yet imo.

Hopefully he will have leant a lot from that game, it would have been fantastic experience for someone of his age.  A £20m forward did what was expected, get the better of a defender and get a quality shot off.  The coaches will make him study his tapes and he will learn what to do in that situation and he'll be the better for it.

Both he and Grey showed a lot of confidence, Grey maybe more so as he is an attacking player so that's what is expected of his game.  The run that won a free kick in the first half was great to see.  A few times in the second half he showed his inexperience by not passing or attacking as much when he had the chance but that will come.

I wasn't too fussed about losing this game as long as we showed some good signs.  I think we did in places but these two show what we have to come in the club.

Grey and Chilwell need to get on the weight bench and protein shakes to build up some upper body strength as they got knocked off the ball a couple of times.  Once again any negative comments are based on an 18 year old playing against a very good Spurs side.  He is certainly a very good player that is going to become a quality defender if his trajectory stays the same.  Hopefully Fuchs will take him under his wing.

Yeah there was a few times he got in behind and caused a few problems. There were others where Gray had held it up nicely and there was a huge area for Chillwell to run into. It's probably tactical though, as you say, Fuchs and Simpson rarely seem to do it. 

Hopefully Ranieri takes off the shackles a little and let's Fuchs especially get forward more as he can put in a dangerous cross.

I know what you mean, I thought they were often quite isolated though at times in those positions, which meant they wouldn't take the risk. For me they were lacking a runner up front into those corners. With a Vardy/Okazaki up there rather than Ulloa I think they would have got that.

Them on their own working that whole side and often being deep in their own half I can understand why they checked back. Even with that, I thought their side was the more likely to produce something.

I know what you mean, I thought they were often quite isolated though at times in those positions, which meant they wouldn't take the risk. For me they were lacking a runner up front into those corners. With a Vardy/Okazaki up there rather than Ulloa I think they would have got that.

Them on their own working that whole side and often being deep in their own half I can understand why they checked back. Even with that, I thought their side was the more likely to produce something.

Absolutely, it's really promising for us that our most inexperienced partnership on the team looked the most dangerous. That could be a good partnership for years to come for us. I felt sorry for Gray at times, he would keep possession really well and barely had any options in front of him or inside.

Good to start from the bench.Might be able to cover both sides.

Depends on how, the run in, and individual games pan out.

If Fuchs, Simpson, or RDL get knocks, nice to know we have cover.

With Schlupp still out, might be prudent to keep him around.

Young players like Chilwell, with his potential, might be served better,

out on loans, with nononsense call back clause.

We are going into the season run in. Lets see if we keep him around.

Personally I thought he played too narrow in the first half. Gave Walker way too much time on the ball. 2nd half was much better from him. I wouldn't say he had an outstanding performance. A solid performance overall would be my assessment. Certainly looks to be a great prospect for the future especially with Gray in front of him. We could have a lethal left side for years to come

Both sides were coming quite narrow, particularly first half, so I'd guess that's more what he was told to do than his decision making. Looked quality going forward though with the marauding runs, reasonable defensively. Reminds me of Ashley Cole somewhat - excellent backup for fuchs at any rate.

Personally I thought he played too narrow in the first half. Gave Walker way too much time on the ball. 2nd half was much better from him. I wouldn't say he had an outstanding performance. A solid performance overall would be my assessment. Certainly looks to be a great prospect for the future especially with Gray in front of him. We could have a lethal left side for years to come

Yeah he did, the lad did alright all things considered. "Fantastic" is miles short of the mark.

Very good, but the real question is Fuch's or Chilwell, because only one of them is going to play and the other is going to sit on the bench.

Not necessarily. First i don't see why we couldn't or wouldn't keep involving Chilwell whether Fuchs was selected as first choice or not. To me the only way to keep, encourage and develop to class youngsters is to give them some playing time. Southampton seemed to manage it over the years.  

Secondly, just because he's a left-back right now doesn't mean we shouldn't improve his right foot and perhaps even well enough and quickly enough to involve him on the right. it's easy enough to do through the application of conditioned football.

The club has - or certainly had - a policy of getting players familiar with other positions and both this and left-sided midfield come to mind for Chilwell.

Not necessarily. First i don't see why we couldn't or wouldn't keep involving Chilwell whether Fuchs was selected as first choice or not. To me the only way to keep, encourage and develop to class youngsters is to give them some playing time. Southampton seemed to manage it over the years.  

Secondly, just because he's a left-back right now doesn't mean we shouldn't improve his right foot and perhaps even well enough and quickly enough to involve him on the right. it's easy enough to do through the application of conditioned football.

The club has - or certainly had - a policy of getting players familiar with other positions and both this and left-sided midfield come to mind for Chilwell.

You herd it here first, Chilwell is the next Gareth Bale.

You herd it here first, Chilwell is the next Gareth Bale.

Y'wot, because he referenced Southampton?

I think he's right, young players who are ready to be around the first team need minutes to develop to their potential. We've seen similar with Drinkwater, James and De Laet where they werent getting game time where they were so left for peanuts and developed outside of their Club at a place they got gametime, with the right amount of nurturing and trust in the side they grew into their potential.

He needs games at this level to learn this level, its simple when done correctly and Southampton have shown that over the years

Walker had far too much space..

Chilwell is a good young prospect, but he's nowhere near ready for this level.

No where near ready ?

Based on the fact that an opposition full back had too much space but should have been tracked by a midfielder ? And the fact that our full backs have been narrow all season but appreciate you struggle to see that through your radio

He made some mistakes without doubt but you are quite clueless on saying he is no where near good enough

Didn't think he was great last night and certainly at fault for the goal but he's clearly got ability and it's up to us to nurture it, he looks composed on the ball and delivers a good cross, defensively needs some work but at his age no reason why he shouldn't improve all aspects of his game.

He's the best youth prospect we have had since Liam Moore.

Y'wot, because he referenced Southampton?

I think he's right, young players who are ready to be around the first team need minutes to develop to their potential. We've seen similar with Drinkwater, James and De Laet where they werent getting game time where they were so left for peanuts and developed outside of their Club at a place they got gametime, with the right amount of nurturing and trust in the side they grew into their potential.

He needs games at this level to learn this level, its simple when done correctly and Southampton have shown that over the years

Yeah give him game time. (although Fuchs still first choice for me by some distance)

Play him left back though don't give him token appearances on the left wing (hence Bale) or right back. 

Yeah give him game time. (although Fuchs still first choice for me by some distance)

Play him left back though don't give him token appearances on the left wing (hence Bale) or right back. 

Yeah I'd have Chilwell at almost level with Schlupp for LB competition/cover. Get him on if theres an injury or just to see games out for experience.

Dont see the try and develop him at RB thing Thrac mentioned myself. Versatility is nice but not imperative to development, if the coaches think its necessary go for it, if not give him the physical work to build him up and drill him in what he needs to improve, he has the natural talent there already. Its all about application.

I can't get over how many retards there are on here throwing their toys out the pram because our second string team didn't win a cup game and concluding that that means we're now doomed.

So many in fact that there seems to be very little mention of the most significant thing to come out of yesterday, Ben Chilwell looking fantastic for the second game running.

I'm not normally one to jump on the bandwagon for our youth players until they actually start to establish themselves but I've been enormously impressed with Chilwell over these two games. He's come in and looked confident, composed, solid. He looks like he immediately belongs at this level.

He's good on the ball, good touch, works hard, holds his shape much better than De Laet and Simpson on the other side who've been doing it for years and he seems to have good anticipation for where the play is going.

Really made up for the lad. Have every faith he'll become a solid member of the squad.

Dininitely agree...... If there is one thing to come out of last night, I will have no  concerns about Fuchs getting injured.

Now we are out of the cup, however, i'd like to see him loaned to AT LEAST a high end championship club , but with a recall option.

The old  'uns will always be first choice for you. Even Bestie would have been a reject til he'd finished his doctorate at the University of Life! :D .  

The old  'uns will always be first choice for you. Even Bestie would have been a reject til he'd finished his doctorate at the University of Life! :D .  

Think he had finished that long before his 25th birthday!

Old? He's two years younger than me is Christian, loads of life left in him.

And more importantly he has been outstanding.

Archived