Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Depression isn’t feeling blue. Depression is feeling nothing at all. Numb, empty, void - useless, hopeless, pointless and a drag on everyone you know. Depression is when the hours of dark reach into the hours of day locked out behind the closed curtains and nothing is noticeably different. Where you do nothing at all but stare into an abyss and wonder why you’re still here. Depression is slashing your wrists, trying to leap from a car doing 70, taking an overdose because you think that will end your pain and the pain of those who have to suffer you. That was mine anyway.

Depression isn’t “cured” either. It’s a very long road back with many pitfalls. No doctor will stop it, no medication will blot it out. Get support, do every course offered to you, take the things that work for you and add them into your life. Keep doing those things until they become routine. A troubled year becomes five. A hard five becomes a decade. You get there eventually.

Welcome back.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Welcome back.

To this place or to being able to get up in the morning and smile? ;D

The last year has been my best one ever, really back to full mental health. I say back but I was never there in the first place, this is all new to me. Now working on the physical health that declined over ten years.

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

To this place or to being able to get up in the morning and smile? ;D

The last year has been my best one ever, really back to full mental health. I say back but I was never there in the first place, this is all new to me. Now working on the physical health that declined over ten years.

Well, both it would appear :)

Yep, that's what I need to do too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, both it would appear :)

Yep, that's what I need to do too.

Lying here with two torn quads. For some reason I though a fat 50+ unfit man could play football again. He can, but then he falls on the ground and cries in pain like a baby.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Lying here with two torn quads. For some reason I though a fat 50+ unfit man could play football again. He can, but then he falls on the ground and cries in pain like a baby.

Dynamic stretching might be the way to ease back in...

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Dynamic stretching might be the way to ease back in...

Icing and raising at the mo. I’ll start the stretching once the pain ebbs.

I’ve been doing shotokan for four years so I really ought to be more supple than this :D

Watching football is doing my mental health no good. Plus the people I watch it with are the loud, angry, effing and blinding type. There is a lot of negative energy when the footballs on.

15/16 really pulled me through a dark time but now I feel following the football is doing more harm than good.

Football has always been an escape from reality for me, you live for moments like Sol Bamba’s majestic debut Vs Man City and Schmeichels penalty save Vs Sevilla but why escape to something that brings negative emotion more often than not, even when we’re winning.

Feel like I could be doing something more positive and productive with my time instead.

Does anyone else feel like this? 

• Like 3

Yeah but there’s plenty more of those moments where that came from. For every low you go through it means a high is set to come later and those lows make the highs even greater. 

I know where you’re both coming from. I’m guilty of taking it all too seriously and have (sort of) tried to give up but it’s impossible because it’s too ingrained in your heart and you can’t help but check the score.

The highs are worth it though. The high last weekend wouldn’t have been anything without the 134 years of fooking up in the competition before it.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Shane said:

Watching football is doing my mental health no good. Plus the people I watch it with are the loud, angry, effing and blinding type. There is a lot of negative energy when the footballs on.

15/16 really pulled me through a dark time but now I feel following the football is doing more harm than good.

Football has always been an escape from reality for me, you live for moments like Sol Bamba’s majestic debut Vs Man City and Schmeichels penalty save Vs Sevilla but why escape to something that brings negative emotion more often than not, even when we’re winning.

Feel like I could be doing something more positive and productive with my time instead.

Sort of. 

I often look forward to the end of season. Breaks the stranglehold football has on me..

I've got a June and July to sort myself out a bit. I've been on the mend for a month now after hitting a low a couple of.months back. I usually feel the end of season - and a possible holiday (my usual answer to a bout of blues) -gives  me a chance to sort myself a bit more aggressively rather than the fixture.list dictating the pace.

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats
3 hours ago, Shane said:

I’m with you mate. FA cup win was obviously magical and brilliant. However that aside I’ve found the past couple of months have been no good for me. Honestly I can’t say I’ve enjoyed any of it, and mentally I’ve been invested a lot more than I’m proud to admit. Some time off and perspective needed for me.

I had my 2nd AZ jab a month ago and I've been suffering with terrible exhaustion ever since. Muscle pains too. Complete inability to exercise is risking the progress I've made since getting a PT in September (2 stone down so far) and the whole thing is really ****ing my mental health. The doctor told me to book a blood test ASAP to try and get to the bottom of it so I ring the surgery and they can't get me in till the ****ing 3rd of June. So I'm at least another 3 weeks before I can get any actual medical help.

Just feels the year is getting away from me again and I will never make any progress and start going backwards. Also started to have intrusive thoughts again which can be really distressing. ****s sake

Guest Bert Fill
13 hours ago, Shane said:

I think a big problem with football is that we have no control over what happens. None at all. And yet we’re enormously emotionally invested in what happens. I believe professions with high levels of depression are often those where people have responsibility for things they can’t actually control.

I’m trying to become a zen football fan who enjoys it when my team does well but accepts it with (relative) equanimity when they don’t.

Not sure it’ll work!

But I think you probably need to find a way to not rely on LCFC for your mental health!

4 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

I think a big problem with football is that we have no control over what happens. None at all. And yet we’re enormously emotionally invested in what happens. I believe professions with high levels of depression are often those where people have responsibility for things they can’t actually control.

I’m trying to become a zen football fan who enjoys it when my team does well but accepts it with (relative) equanimity when they don’t.

Not sure it’ll work!

But I think you probably need to find a way to not rely on LCFC for your mental health!

What an excellent post. 

19 hours ago, Shane said:

I feel like part of the fun is watching your team rise to the top, something we have been lucky enough to have done with only a few other clubs over the past couple of decades. Now we're here, I am finding it harder to enjoy. 10 years ago it was possibly for us to beat anybody and lose to anybody without it being much of a shock and was much easier to accept. These days the only sides I sort of expect us to lose to are the "big six", defeats to any other side I find really frustrating and hard to take. I watch most of our games but without hesitation turn off if it's going badly, ultimately the way I see it is why sit there for an hour and a half if it's doing you no good? I turned off the Newcastle game at 2-0, think I even turned off the Leeds game at 2-1. Don't think it helps that we either play very well or very very badly. Didn't even bother watching the Chelsea PL game last week as I didn't feel I'd enjoy it and the liklehood is that Chelsea would win, kept up to date with it religiously on Twitter though. Then yesterday I chose to watch the Villa/Chelsea game as opposed to our game (obviously because it was very relevant to our game). Those two games had a lot more riding on it, hence the potential frustration being greater if things weren't going our way. I know it sounds bad but to me this isn't about being a top class fan, i'd never class myself to be as "elite" as some people on here like to look at themselves as, it's more for my own sake/health.

Think it's just so much easier when you're not so much in the spotlight, no one really knows you. I am really good at looking at the comments section on social media of sport pages and see so much shite written, not just about us but many things and it easily winds me up. I know generally with most football fans we are a very likable club, but the bigger you get the more rivals you pick up.. i've never particularly had a negative opinion of Chelsea since they had money pumped into them, but obviously over the last few weeks we have been directly in battle on more than one front. I see comments from their fans which are beyond dumb, I see comments from a Chelsea player ( lol ) that are crazy to hear, and watching them lately they just have a number of dislikable players. As much as I want them to now get pummeled by Man City on Saturday, it just takes too much effort to hate someone/thing, or have a negative opinion of them and deep down want them to lose every game. Deffo hope Man City pummel them on Saturday though

Not just in Leicester games, I think the more I watch football the more I am seeing things that I just really don't like and do sometimes wonder if one day I will just stop watching. All the obvious things such as diving, even time wasting. Managers defending the indefendable because it's their own player involved, automatically blaming the ref because they lost. Players kicking it out for a throw and then claiming to the ref it came off the other teams player when he knows full well it didn't. It's ****ing cheating. If football ever did become three 20 minute periods or whatever then I don't think i'd have an issue with it. Stop the clock when the ball goes out and it will stop playings on the winning side taking 30 seconds to take a throw. Stop the clock when goalkeepers catch the easiest ball under no pressure and fall to the ground to waste 30 seconds (Alex McCarthy against us last month from the 25th minute). Players going down having been shot and then running full pelt 30 seconds later. All clubs do it, some more than others, but it's one of those things that the more it gets in your head, the more you notice it and the harder it is to unsee it.

I follow F1 (and Lewis Hamilton) and its very similar there in the way that he is basically marmite. We are used to winning football matches over the last few years and it becomes annoying when we don't. I'm used to seeing my favourite driver win a lot more than Leicester do, and yesterday was ****ing rotten on both fronts. I see so much mis-informed shite written about him that frankly I would have preferred him to have retired at the end of last season so i'd be able to follow the sport more in peace. Very easy to tell me to just not look on social media but it's not that simple.. more out of boredom I think.

I follow Worcestershire in cricket who are basically a Norwich City, we've been absolutely embarrased over the last couple of days but it is so much easier to take, just because there's much less riding on it and less of a surprise really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I thought I'd share this with fellow sufferers.

As I've previously mentioned on here, I self-medicate with mood-boosting foods and exercise, which largely controls my condition. However, I've been struggling emotionally recently despite this, so I have been doing some further research to see if there was anything I could add to my diet that might help. I came across a study which concluded that green tea has mood stabilising properties due to the presence of an amino acid called L-theanine, which increases the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain; and it has a synergy with caffeine, also present in green tea.

I started on a regimen of four cups of green tea per day about a week ago, and have seen a definite improvement in mood and concentration. I'd recommend giving it a try, especially as green tea is chock full of antioxidants as well.

Is the science behind it that when you finish a cup you sit there and think “Well it can’t get any worse from here?” Vile stuff.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Is the science behind it that when you finish a cup you sit there and think “Well it can’t get any worse from here?” Vile stuff.

I hear you, mate.

Try it with a spoon of honey and a capful of lemon juice - it's a different taste altogether.

Just now, Buce said:

I hear you, mate.

Try it with a spoon of honey and a capful of lemon juice - it's a different taste altogether.

Haha imagine that’s much better. If it makes you feel better mate who am I to take the piss. I mean, I still will but...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Have I understood correctly that it contains caffeine? 

Yes, but in much smaller quantities than coffee; I have found it actually benefits my ability to sleep.

Guest Bert Fill
36 minutes ago, Buce said:

If you just have some honey and lemon you can avoid the horrid tea altogether!

20 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

long time reader first time poster in this thread

just wondered if anybody has any experience with vita mind? positive or negative feedback welcome. or if its best to go privately.

cheers

I think they've only just over services from Let's Talk Wellbeing. Dunno if it's the same thing, and I don't want to be negative, but the extent of what you get will always be dictated by the tight budgets, and it's often CBT focused as that's cheap and easy to deliver. That can really help folk so I'm not doing it down; it depends on what you need - if a long term therapeutic relationship is what you're after it'll be easier to get that privately, but it'll cost