Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

Bit of a strange one but I've been having some really strange sensations over the last week and wondered if anyone has experienced them before. I started new tablets about 5 weeks ago so wondering if they have anything to do with it.

Over the last week there have been several occasions where my hands suddenly feel huge, if I'm typing or writing it becomes almost impossible.

Also had a couple of occasions where my teeth feel massive or my body as a whole suddenly feels huge and I'm struggling to fit in the bed.

Sounds bizarre, tried explaining it to my family and they all look at me gone out. I've Googled it and everything seems to point toward macropsia or 'Alice in Wonderland syndrome but the symptoms described seem to point towards visual distortion whereas mine isn't visual, it's purely just a feeling.

Became quite scary this morning as it lasted about half an hour. Tried to call the doctor but was number 27 in the queue so gave up.

Edited by Rain King

On 24/05/2021 at 20:58, Buce said:

I thought I'd share this with fellow sufferers.

As I've previously mentioned on here, I self-medicate with mood-boosting foods and exercise, which largely controls my condition. However, I've been struggling emotionally recently despite this, so I have been doing some further research to see if there was anything I could add to my diet that might help. I came across a study which concluded that green tea has mood stabilising properties due to the presence of an amino acid called L-theanine, which increases the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain; and it has a synergy with caffeine, also present in green tea.

I started on a regimen of four cups of green tea per day about a week ago, and have seen a definite improvement in mood and concentration. I'd recommend giving it a try, especially as green tea is chock full of antioxidants as well.

I’ve just bought some l-Theanine pills. I’ll let you know how it goes 

• Thanks 1

QQ have been feeling more depressed as of late stopped all my meds a couple of years a go just on my own not work with the doctors but would like to just go back on what i was on last time dont want the hassle and the stress of going through the system has anyone just phoned their gp and been reperscribed the antidepressants that were working last time. I previously had had a diagnosis from a psychiatrist or do i have to just start at the beginning again. I am not at the same level it may pass when i get to put some proper structure and routine back into my life. As keeping busy gives me less time to ruminate

For most people, the onset of fine summer weather is a good thing in terms of their mental well-being. But for me, it's the start of approximately 4 months of sheer mental hell. Why? Because I live next door to a neighbour who is nosey, noisey and nasty. As soon as the warm weather starts, he's out in his front garden with the radio blaring away. We can hear it in every room of our (detached) house with the windows all shut. If I go out to politely ask him to turn the volume down, the result is that I receive a tirade of verbal abuse and unpleasant gestures. I'm desperate to resolve the issue, but short of moving house, which is currently impossible, I really don't know how to cope. Personally, we are very quiet. I even use a manual lawnmower to minimise our own outside noise.

Edited by String fellow

16 hours ago, doverfox said:

QQ have been feeling more depressed as of late stopped all my meds a couple of years a go just on my own not work with the doctors but would like to just go back on what i was on last time dont want the hassle and the stress of going through the system has anyone just phoned their gp and been reperscribed the antidepressants that were working last time. I previously had had a diagnosis from a psychiatrist or do i have to just start at the beginning again. I am not at the same level it may pass when i get to put some proper structure and routine back into my life. As keeping busy gives me less time to ruminate

I went off my meds at the end of last year. I'm starting to wonder if that was the right call myself.

I'm pretty sure if I was to call my doc and let him know I've been struggling of late, he'd re-prescribe them to me.

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

For most people, the onset of fine summer weather is a good thing in terms of their mental well-being. But for me, it's the start of approximately 4 months of sheer mental hell. Why? Because I live next door to a neighbour who is nosey, noisey and nasty. As soon as the warm weather starts, he's out in his front garden with the radio blaring away. We can hear it in every room of our (detached) house with the windows all shut. If I go out to politely ask him to turn the volume down, the result is that I receive a tirade of verbal abuse and unpleasant gestures. I'm desperate to resolve the issue, but short of moving house, which is currently impossible, I really don't know how to cope. Personally, we are very quiet. I even use a manual lawnmower to minimise our own outside noise.

I've never had that exact situation, but I have had to deal with noisey neighbours and it certainly is frustrating. 

I just moved into a new building and wasn't here for two weeks when I had the person below me banging on their ceiling and then leaving a note complaining that my footsteps and such are "disruptive". 

I can't tell you how quiet I am. I don't stomp when I walk and I honestly don't even move around that much lol

Meanwhile, the person above me is quite active and I hear them all day, but I'm certainly not going to complain about that.

Part of the problem in places here is everyone has to have hardwood flooring. It looks nice, but it definitely doesn't help with the noise factor.

I don't know the solution to your situation. Some people are just ignorant and we nice people have to be stuck putting up with them. 

Edited by spacemunky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

Sorry to hear that fella. It's my idea of an absolute nightmare. 

Personally, I'd keep on good terms with the human excrement that's your neighbour  and sell up. Or at the very least,.rent the place.out (ideally to.some.rough fckers who'll take no shite) and go rent somewhere else yourself

• Like 1

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

That's a cvnt neighbour right there. I mean, I'm the nicest guy  and neighbour you could have.  The type to shovel your driveway of snow, cut your grass if you need help, jump start your car, shag your wife if you approve (ok, maybe not this one but maybe??? Ha ha) etc.

I am always nice because we should all be nice and respectful to eachother. It's just common human sense and decency. Moving isn't the easy option for most and you never know what your new neighbours could be like. Judging by how nice you seem to be asking politely doesnt seem to work.  Nothing you can do really but move, try to talk again,  take a flame thrower to his radio or my personal favorite smash his face in.

I like to expect respect especially when i always give it. There comes a point where jackwagons like this need the same treatment.  If the guy is impacting my life and that of my family then i will liam neeson you or at least try. If its a big lad then well might need to call in my family or just sell quickly whilst remaining as nice as possible lol.

Looks like in your case best option is to move with no neighbours close by (if thats possible).

I feel for you and really hope at some point your words can get him to at least turn it down a bit. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Finally got to meet up with one of my oldest and dearest friends today. She’s been going through fertility issues for years and has to make a decision very soon on whether to proceed down this line again or not; if it goes badly yet again I genuinely worry not just for her mental health but her safety. Last time it nearly killed her. Even starting on this path again will put a huge strain on her physical and mental health as well as her relationship with family, her adopted kids and her husband.

So today she tells me that she’s started seeing a therapist, which is brilliant. She tells me this therapist is in Town X. And what her name is. It’s my therapist. Is it weird that I feel weird about this? Nothing to do with confidentiality or anything, it just feels like a bit like a space invasion. Really uncomfortably close to home. I don’t like it. Is that weird?!

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Finally got to meet up with one of my oldest and dearest friends today. She’s been going through fertility issues for years and has to make a decision very soon on whether to proceed down this line again or not; if it goes badly yet again I genuinely worry not just for her mental health but her safety. Last time it nearly killed her. Even starting on this path again will put a huge strain on her physical and mental health as well as her relationship with family, her adopted kids and her husband.

So today she tells me that she’s started seeing a therapist, which is brilliant. She tells me this therapist is in Town X. And what her name is. It’s my therapist. Is it weird that I feel weird about this? Nothing to do with confidentiality or anything, it just feels like a bit like a space invasion. Really uncomfortably close to home. I don’t like it. Is that weird?!

No, it will be a shock. It might be worth mentioning to said therapist.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

No I don't think it's weird at all, I'm pretty sure I would feel exactly the same. 

As HPF says, it's probably worth having a chat with the therapist about it. 

21 hours ago, String fellow said:

Thank you all for your thoughts. Tbh, the situation is pretty depressing. As far as I'm concerned, the cooler weather from October onwards can't come soon enough.

I will speak to the weather gods and see if they can give me all the nice hot weather from Scraptoft mate :fc:

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 11:34, Rain King said:

Bit of a strange one but I've been having some really strange sensations over the last week and wondered if anyone has experienced them before. I started new tablets about 5 weeks ago so wondering if they have anything to do with it.

Over the last week there have been several occasions where my hands suddenly feel huge, if I'm typing or writing it becomes almost impossible.

Also had a couple of occasions where my teeth feel massive or my body as a whole suddenly feels huge and I'm struggling to fit in the bed.

Sounds bizarre, tried explaining it to my family and they all look at me gone out. I've Googled it and everything seems to point toward macropsia or 'Alice in Wonderland syndrome but the symptoms described seem to point towards visual distortion whereas mine isn't visual, it's purely just a feeling.

Became quite scary this morning as it lasted about half an hour. Tried to call the doctor but was number 27 in the queue so gave up.

Don't know if you've got a thermometer, but it might be worth checking your temperature if you get these symptoms again. I used to get similar sensations (feeling like I was too big for the bed, or I was filling the room).Very weird, but very real. Not visual as you say, but unignorable. It happened when I was sickening for something and always seemed to coincide with a high temperature. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Don't know if you've got a thermometer, but it might be worth checking your temperature if you get these symptoms again. I used to get similar sensations (feeling like I was too big for the bed, or I was filling the room).Very weird, but very real. Not visual as you say, but unignorable. It happened when I was sickening for something and always seemed to coincide with a high temperature. 

Glad I'm not the only one. Was really bizarre. Not happened for a couple of days now so hopefully won't again.

• Like 1

I'm really wanting to give up alcohol as I know that's one of the main reasons I feel so low, I don't drink in the week mostly but hit it hard at the weekend. 

You know something isn't right when all you do when drunk, is read online about how to stay sober. 

I want to live a sober life, which sounds ridiculous as anyone who knows me, knows I'm the first person to a party and the last to leave, I'd drink most people under the table.

It just seems like booze is the answer to everything, when I know it's not. Shit day/week at work? Hit the bottle. Bored? Hit the bottle. Celebrating something? Yep, you guessed it. 

I've always had anxiety and depression related to work, in every job I've had. I'm now starting to think maybe, just maybe it's the drink that is actually the problem. Or at least a hugely contributing factor to my state of mind. 

Every plan I make revolves around alcohol, and its exhausting. I didn't want to be like this. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

I'm really wanting to give up alcohol as I know that's one of the main reasons I feel so low, I don't drink in the week mostly but hit it hard at the weekend. 

You know something isn't right when all you do when drunk, is read online about how to stay sober. 

I want to live a sober life, which sounds ridiculous as anyone who knows me, knows I'm the first person to a party and the last to leave, I'd drink most people under the table.

It just seems like booze is the answer to everything, when I know it's not. Shit day/week at work? Hit the bottle. Bored? Hit the bottle. Celebrating something? Yep, you guessed it. 

I've always had anxiety and depression related to work, in every job I've had. I'm now starting to think maybe, just maybe it's the drink that is actually the problem. Or at least a hugely contributing factor to my state of mind. 

Every plan I make revolves around alcohol, and its exhausting. I didn't want to be like this. 

That all sounds very familiar :unsure:

My life revolved around drink for 25 years and then one day about four an a half years ago I just got sick of it and stopped. I'd become dependent and never had a dry day. It was becoming exhausting and expensive and it felt like I was living a constant hangover.

I haven't drank alcohol since and don't think I ever will again. I'm not going to preach about the 'benefits' but save to say I'm a different person now with a different outlook on life.

I feel free and liberated that alcohol doesn't dictate my life anymore and my physical and mental health is so much better as a result.

All I can advise it to try and take it a day at a time. If you can get through the first day, week, month, it does get easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

I'm absolutely no expert on alcohol, but what you've just described does sound very much like addiction. Well done for writing this, admitting the problem is the very important first step. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That all sounds very familiar :unsure:

My life revolved around drink for 25 years and then one day about four an a half years ago I just got sick of it and stopped. I'd become dependent and never had a dry day. It was becoming exhausting and expensive and it felt like I was living a constant hangover.

I haven't drank alcohol since and don't think I ever will again. I'm not going to preach about the 'benefits' but save to say I'm a different person now with a different outlook on life.

I feel free and liberated that alcohol doesn't dictate my life anymore and my physical and mental health is so much better as a result.

All I can advise it to try and take it a day at a time. If you can get through the first day, week, month, it does get easier.

Thanks Izzy. Four and a half years sober is an amazing achievement, I hope I get to that stage one day. 

Was there ever a certain eureka moment for you where you knew you had to pack it in? Or was it more a gradual build up of things that made you stop?

Last Saturday, I got through 5 or 6 pints at the pub, and then another 6/7 cans at home that night. Before I cracked open my last can, I told myself that would be the last drop of alcohol I'd ever touch. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but I really want it to be. 

I feel like I've lost the person who I once was due to alcohol, which is pretty depressing in itself. 

48 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm absolutely no expert on alcohol, but what you've just described does sound very much like addiction. Well done for writing this, admitting the problem is the very important first step. 

Thanks Peaky, much appreciated. 

I think it's defintiely an addiction, and I've knew that for a while but never wanted to admit it I guess. 

One of the biggest signs, which I now realise, is having to try to normalise the situation in my head, when drinking when I perhaps shouldn't be. For instance, a few occasions I've started drinking at 10am on a Sunday 'because that's what I'd do if I was going to an early kick off' - it's so warped but I think you're right, and that's maybe how an addicts brain works? I don't know. 

The alcohol thing is interesting. Of course it can be a go to, but it is classed as a depressant.

I've had my struggles with it, but I've also been able to stay away(once for seven years).

I know it really doesn't help me, but with not working for the last couple years, I've found myself drinking a lot more once again.

I recently connected with my family, who I'd never been very close with and they are all drinkers. They seem amazed when I'm able to go without for stretches and aren't the best support group lol

I know I'm a better person without it, but currently I have no thoughts of doing that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

I've been trying to think of a reply to do this post justice, all I can say is thank you.

The bit about going down the off-licence at 10pm for more booze really resonates with me, as does the bit about your kids, I have a daughter who's just turned 4 and she's starting to comment on certain things and is more aware of when I've had a few drinks now. Not good. 

I'm determined for that can on Saturday night to have been my last, I'll see how it goes. Thanks again, you'll probably never know how important your post is to me, I needed it.

No worries mate :thumbup:

You've already gone 3 days without a drink, so well done for that and be proud of your progress. One day at a time and it'll be a week before you know it. 

If you're determined then you'll crack it. When you get the urge (which you will) just realise it's only temporary and it's your body withdrawing from the alcohol. If you can hang on until the urge has passed (distract yourself and do something to take your mind off it) then it does become easier over time. After a few months sober, the urges had gone for me and I felt 'cleansed' again (and with more energy and more cash in my pocket!)

If you have a wobble please send me a DM - happy to talk anytime.

Keep going. You can do this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1