Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

39 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Just a thought. Would it worthwhile to have a mental health thread? Mental health issues stretch much further than depression, so could be useful not to make anyone feel excluded from the conversation?  

Would also love to see it pinned to the top threads. As a reminder if anyone needs help

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Just a thought. Would it worthwhile to have a mental health thread? Mental health issues stretch much further than depression, so could be useful not to make anyone feel excluded from the conversation?  

Good idea, mental health issues are something that affects so many people, perhaps every human in their lifetime at some point. Thankfully the stigma attached to talking about it is slowly being removed in society but we're not quite there yet. 

I find it interesting we use the term "alright?" almost as interchangeable as "hi" and the answer is almost always "good mate, you?" I'm not saying that if you are passing in a corridor you stop someone and give them a 10 minute break down on things everytime but I have tried to be more mindful and actually answer it a bit more accurately, especially with people I know well.

On 12/03/2021 at 10:40, FerrisBueller said:

I've used both 600mg and 1200mg, I felt a bit more relaxed initially but I'm unsure whether it was a placebo effect. I'm a regular doobie smoker, so that probably doesn't help my judgement.

I have a lot of friends that swear by it for all sorts of ailments, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it 

On 12/03/2021 at 00:33, TK95 said:

Would love to know how it goes :thumbup:Heard some positive things but wasn't sure if it was just one of those "hypes"

Been on it since Friday I’ve been energised and in a good mood since. I think it important to find the right dosage for you. I took 4 drops twice a day and that just left me feeling a bit sleepy. 3 of 500mg is perfect for me. Tastes like utter sh*t though. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Been on it since Friday I’ve been energised and in a good mood since. I think it important to find the right dosage for you. I took 4 drops twice a day and that just left me feeling a bit sleepy. 3 of 500mg is perfect for me. Tastes like utter sh*t though. 

That’s cool, you’re noticing a difference then? Yeah it’s pretty minging, did you get a flavoured one? I found a berry one to be not as bad tasting.

So, I've been on 40mg citalopram for almost 6 months now, and the end of my current prescription ends next week and I have a call with the doctor to review my prescription. Im feeling OK, like the citalopram works. However I've started getting anxious, like my chest heats up and I get a sense of dread. It's minging and I want to do something about it, I just wanted to know what other people have taken for anxiety and how it's affected them so I can go to the Dr's with some ideas. I've had side affects from some anti depressants in the past which has led to me stopping taking them altogether. I'm feeling better and don't want to start feeling down again so any advice would be massively appreciated 

2 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

That’s cool, you’re noticing a difference then? Yeah it’s pretty minging, did you get a flavoured one? I found a berry one to be not as bad tasting.

Yeah, quite a big difference. Don’t think I realised how bad my anxiety problems were. I’ve got an unflavoured one, tastes literally as if I’m chewing on a plant, and not a nice plant at that. Probably would looked for a flavoured one next time. 

On 05/03/2021 at 08:28, Bert said:

My head is absolutely gone. 

I’ve been at work for 3 hours and all I’ve managed is the bare minimum because I’ve just got constant tears running down my face. 

I don’t know what to do anymore. 

I expect I am late on the game as I see this was originally posted ten days ago and it has just run and run.

Quoted Bert as I think he is one who ought to see it.

I know two people who, since the start of the pandemic, have gone beyond depression and have tried to top themselves. One of them is my neighbour. Both have survived but what happened to them is life-changing.

Talking to somebody is a start. Posting on here might help if you are really lucky but is a poor substitute for talking to someone face to face.

If there is somebody like that how about meeting outside and going for a short walk to talk about it.

Wherever it is, it needs to be away from your home or workplace as I think there must be something there which has enabled whatever it is with you to build up. Being somewhere else might make it easier to talk.

• Like 2

In the familiar phase of having a complete breakdown and not being able to function anymore.  Luckily I think I caught it early this time compared to how I usually do but I'm getting really sick of feeling this way. Feels like when I'm positive it's only because I'm successfully keeping myself so busy that I don't have time to think and any time I do then I'm just immediately miserable. I've developed ways of coping better and functioning but when it all comes down to it I'm just a person that's had all the life kicked out of them and is just broken. I get heart warmed seeing some of the communal positivity and the changing views to mental health I just wish there was someone for me sooner. I don't think I can ever be the person that I should have been 

18 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

In the familiar phase of having a complete breakdown and not being able to function anymore.  Luckily I think I caught it early this time compared to how I usually do but I'm getting really sick of feeling this way. Feels like when I'm positive it's only because I'm successfully keeping myself so busy that I don't have time to think and any time I do then I'm just immediately miserable. I've developed ways of coping better and functioning but when it all comes down to it I'm just a person that's had all the life kicked out of them and is just broken. I get heart warmed seeing some of the communal positivity and the changing views to mental health I just wish there was someone for me sooner. I don't think I can ever be the person that I should have been 

I know its difficult, but worrying about what you could have been is a pointless/painful exercise.

I've only begun to turn things around in my life and I'm well past the half way point.

I try my best to stay focused on going forward. Any time I catch myself doing the "what if" or "if I'd only" then I remind myself that you can't go back in time(unless you're Marty McFly) and thinking like that is just wasted time.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Talking to someone is really important - do not keep things bottled up.

I know a lot of people do t like the thought of ‘shrinks’, but my wife is a Counsellor and she seems to have great results.  Obviously she doesn’t tell me any of the details of her Clients, but she does show me the thank you cards that she gets from people, and it is really obvious that people do get a huge amount of benefit from Counselling.  Also, quite a few of her Clients have been referred from people who have previously had sessions with her.

Some people may only need a few sessions of Counselling, whereas some may need a year or more.

In addition to just talking, Counsellors will explore many aspects of your life to find some of the root causes of your issues and encourage you to think and explore different situations and scenarios, and reflect.  There are loads of different techniques that can be used (some are really bizarre like EMDR), and can help to provide coping strategies for the short and longer term.

Counselling sessions will cost you, but it is a worthwhile investment in your mental health.  If money is an issue, there are some organisations that can provide sessions free of charge (but these can be limited or have waiting lists).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Talking to someone is really important - do not keep things bottled up.

I know a lot of people do t like the thought of ‘shrinks’, but my wife is a Counsellor and she seems to have great results.  Obviously she doesn’t tell me any of the details of her Clients, but she does show me the thank you cards that she gets from people, and it is really obvious that people do get a huge amount of benefit from Counselling.  Also, quite a few of her Clients have been referred from people who have previously had sessions with her.

Some people may only need a few sessions of Counselling, whereas some may need a year or more.

In addition to just talking, Counsellors will explore many aspects of your life to find some of the root causes of your issues and encourage you to think and explore different situations and scenarios, and reflect.  There are loads of different techniques that can be used (some are really bizarre like EMDR), and can help to provide coping strategies for the short and longer term.

Counselling sessions will cost you, but it is a worthwhile investment in your mental health.  If money is an issue, there are some organisations that can provide sessions free of charge (but these can be limited or have waiting lists).

That's like witchcraft, isn't it? My missus has used that on people and apparently it's really helped them

7 hours ago, Rain King said:

Just watched Roman Kemp's BBC3 documentary on Iplayer. Its actually airing at 9pm tonight I think.

Would recommend it for anyone struggling, sat there in tears for most of it but at the same time comforted that I'm not alone.

Am just watching it now on BBC One (not sure if it's the same one?).

It's only half-way through the programme, but it's quite eye-opening already..

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Am just watching it now on BBC One (not sure if it's the same one?).

It's only half-way through the programme, but it's quite eye-opening already..

Yeah it is the same one. Pretty tragic watch and made me realise today that although I'm 99.9% certain I would never carry through in ending it I have known where I would do it since I was about 10 years old.

Pretty shocking when actually thinking about it that it's always just been a thought in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 16:21, spacemunky said:

I know its difficult, but worrying about what you could have been is a pointless/painful exercise.

I've only begun to turn things around in my life and I'm well past the half way point.

I try my best to stay focused on going forward. Any time I catch myself doing the "what if" or "if I'd only" then I remind myself that you can't go back in time(unless you're Marty McFly) and thinking like that is just wasted time.

Just my 2 cents.

100% mate and what is frustrating is that I know this is all I need to hear. I've done well to make the next couple of days fairly positive but I just get to a point where I'm compulsively thinking of stuff that I know is going to take myself to that irrational dark place (Sadly no Garth Marengi). And I know that's the most difficult part for someone else to deal with me struggling. Usually going for a run or walk has been my reliable way of stopping it but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. But nah thank you for your reply and the honesty... that's what I respond to best! Shitting out my thoughts on to ft is how I'm gradually building up to talk to my mates about it haha. But professional help is my gift I'm going to give myself this year 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, twister said:

I often feel alone I walk around and feel detached from the world, like a bird watching the world below

I feel some how like i dont belong anywhere

its a very isolated feeling.

Wish you all the best, feel very similar.

There seems to be cliques everywhere I look and it's not enjoyable. I can see the backstabbing and hypocrisy on a daily basis and it's exhausting.

2 hours ago, twister said:

I often feel alone I walk around and feel detached from the world, like a bird watching the world below

I feel some how like i dont belong anywhere

its a very isolated feeling.

I've found that pain is personal, whether physical or mental.  Except that I'd have no issues contacting my GP if I was in physical pain.  Mental pain is different but keeping it personal rarely provided a solution for me - talking to someone may not seem useful but what is there to lose?  And it could provide a different perspective on life and maybe a way forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rain King said:

Wish you all the best, feel very similar.

There seems to be cliques everywhere I look and it's not enjoyable. I can see the backstabbing and hypocrisy on a daily basis and it's exhausting.

Yes we live in a very cliquey society, when i was young it was often cliqey groups of cool people hanging out together, when your older it becomes families or cliqey friends. I have never felt a part of a long term friendship group always on the outside somehow, I have somehow got used to feeling alone even when i have family in my life.

and i wish you the best as well. same to  member who said to speak to somebody. i might do with some reflection.

• Like 2