Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Check for swirls, usually see them when the sun hits the bodywork. Don't use acid products on the wheels, it will strip coatings off the metal surfaces and cause rust. And might mess up your hub caps etc

Edited by simFox

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone into detailing at all? Given the free time on my hands I've done a decent tar/rust spot decontamination, wash, polish and wax that I don't usually get to do. Want to get the wheels off and get the arches done and the back of the alloys etc, but I've always had trouble getting the wheels off the Alfa for some reason. 

Interior next up today/tomorrow. 

Love a bit of detailing, although I haven’t done any since some cvnt builders working next door decided to smash something large into two panels. :nono:

TBH I don’t usually take the wheels off, it’s just too much hassle. I use Meguiars Hot Rims, followed by Auto Finesse Iron Out.

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Love a bit of detailing, although I haven’t done any since some cvnt builders working next door decided to smash something large into two panels. :nono:

TBH I don’t usually take the wheels off, it’s just too much hassle. I use Meguiars Hot Rims, followed by Auto Finesse Iron Out.

Yeah I live near a railway line so I always have then issue of iron fallout, Autoglym Magma shifts it pretty quick. Hot Rims is really good, Maguiars is quite expensive I feel but good quality. I wanted to get the rear arches in particular off as they're that horrible carpet material that holds onto dirt really badly. 

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah I live near a railway line so I always have then issue of iron fallout, Autoglym Magma shifts it pretty quick. Hot Rims is really good, Maguiars is quite expensive I feel but good quality. I wanted to get the rear arches in particular off as they're that horrible carpet material that holds onto dirt really badly. 

I'd use a power washer, degreaser, stiff brush and then maybe snow foam followed by an iron remover. Wheel arches are a labour of love and generally a step too far for me.

This dude goes above and beyond. Imagine doing this four times... But then again, I guess we've got the time. 

Mine needs a once over, badly. Wash, wax, clay bar and polish. Unfortunately, I'm on-street parking in North London, so I think I'd end up getting slapped with a fine should the police spot me.

Plus, when the body shops open it needs to go in to be repaired so barely seems any point.

• 1 month later...

Now it looks like I will be working from home for the foreseeable future I'd like to get rid of my car which is on finance. I can't give it back as I haven't paid more than half of it off, and I can't sell it to a dealer as they're all closed. 

So it's just sitting on my driveway costing me a few hundreds of pounds a month :(

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My 118d has moved off my drive once in the past 6 weeks. 

Not sure if it will start or what condition it will be in. I think I might've forgotten how to drive (some might say that I couldn't before). 

Unlikely after 6 weeks I'd guess.

My old Jag (with a relatively new battery) hadn't been out for 2 weeks and the battery was dead when I tried it on Saturday.

Managed to jump start it off the wife's car but I imagine there's millions of flat batteries the length and breadth of the land atm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2020 at 18:24, Izzy said:

My old Jag (with a relatively new battery) hadn't been out for 2 weeks and the battery was dead when I tried it on Saturday.

Managed to jump start it off the wife's car but I imagine there's millions of flat batteries the length and breadth of the land atm.

Unbelievably, my 118d started first time after being ignored for 6 weeks. Stopped off at the petrol station and checked the tyres... No change to pressure. Drove it two junctions down the M5 and back (about 30 miles) and it drove fine. 

Perhaps just lucky. Neighbour had to buy a new battery for his wife's Porsche. 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 10:03, Spudulike said:

Unbelievably, my 118d started first time after being ignored for 6 weeks. Stopped off at the petrol station and checked the tyres... No change to pressure. Drove it two junctions down the M5 and back (about 30 miles) and it drove fine. 

Perhaps just lucky. Neighbour had to buy a new battery for his wife's Porsche. 

Had a 118d about 5 years ago, good cars and economy and never gave me any issues. WFH too so my cars untouched apart from shops once a week, had it new since feb and its done 1,200 miles

26 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Had a 118d about 5 years ago, good cars and economy and never gave me any issues. WFH too so my cars untouched apart from shops once a week, had it new since feb and its done 1,200 miles

I try not to take mine on short shop runs due to possible DPF issues. I'm only keeping it for the run up to home matches (280 miles round trip) and a 16 mile work commute. It's a 1 series coupe with about 55,000 miles clocked up. It's had some brake issues but otherwise rock solid. 

Took my car in for its annual service a couple of weeks ago, noticed as I picked it up that they’d caved the bottom of the door in, I’m assuming they had the door open when putting it up on the ramps. So it went back in for them to fix it. No problem, they had it a few days and everything was as it should be. 

4 days later, someone ploughs(I say ploughs, it really wasn’t!) in to the side of me as I’m turning right into a side road. Driver admitted full responsibility, just waiting for someone to come and pick it up. Been given a 68 plate Insignia diesel SRi. It’s pretty decent. Absolutely massive though. Oh, and it’s bright fvcking red!!!

On 05/05/2020 at 18:00, Spudulike said:

My 118d has moved off my drive once in the past 6 weeks. 

Not sure if it will start or what condition it will be in. I think I might've forgotten how to drive (some might say that I couldn't before). 

On 05/05/2020 at 18:24, Izzy said:

On 19/05/2020 at 21:38, Ian Nacho said:

Going for the odd drive now and again just to keep the battery charged up. Doens't half feel weird driving. 

I bought one of these last year for my truck for if it got left for a while ...  cost about £25 from Halfords I think and you put it into the diagnostic socket and it keeps the battery topped up indefinitely ..  so simple and solar powered so just install and leave ...  :thumbup:

Also ...  if you don’t want to keep going out start the car up and leave running for 30 minutes with the aiircon on at 25 degrees ...   do this once a week and all should be well.  The dealership told me this. 

B2E871AC-5B33-471D-8271-D6AA962C82C6.jpeg

Edited by Countryfox
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I try not to take mine on short shop runs due to possible DPF issues. I'm only keeping it for the run up to home matches (280 miles round trip) and a 16 mile work commute. It's a 1 series coupe with about 55,000 miles clocked up. It's had some brake issues but otherwise rock solid. 

Agreed on DPF, my previous audi had lots of similar short trips but only had 39K on the clock when I handed it back so not sure when those issues can arise in a diesel

37 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Agreed on DPF, my previous audi had lots of similar short trips but only had 39K on the clock when I handed it back so not sure when those issues can arise in a diesel

My previous car was an A3 and the dreaded emissions warning light came on after about 90,000 miles. Tried everything to sort it out (including a couple of expensive garage trips) but could never get to the bottom of it. Weirdly it didn't affect performance and still passed the MoT. I was always concerned that it would let me down on the way up to a match during 2015/16 but it never did. Was sad to trade it at 127,000 miles on a day the emissions light went out lol I'm sure it would've come back the next day. 

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My previous car was an A3 and the dreaded emissions warning light came on after about 90,000 miles. Tried everything to sort it out (including a couple of expensive garage trips) but could never get to the bottom of it. Weirdly it didn't affect performance and still passed the MoT. I was always concerned that it would let me down on the way up to a match during 2015/16 but it never did. Was sad to trade it at 127,000 miles on a day the emissions light went out lol I'm sure it would've come back the next day. 

It will of conked out on some poor ****er 

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

It will of conked out on some poor ****er 

Someone local bought it and I saw it being driven around for about 3 years after. The dealer had a big mark up on it so perhaps they resolved the issue. I always kept it in top condition so was sad to see it with a dent and scrape down one wing. 

I have a 2007 diesel A3, currently at about 150k miles, not had an emissions warning or anything before. My commute is 15 minutes and I rarely take it down the motorway, should I be worried? Owned it about 3 years. It's a DSG and my commute is country roads so I'll often paddle shift with it whilst revving it quite high as it's quite fun, does that blow it out at all similarly to a motorway run? I dont speed (:ph34r:) but the roads allow me to hit 60 for a while. Shit its gonna go isnt it aha.

For its age it's been a brilliant car. Only had a rear suspension coil snap and the instrument cluster die so far (plus usual brakes etc).

Saying that, anyone know much about aircon? Mine only seems to work after I've been driving for about 10 minutes. Blowing hot air for a while then suddenly go cold. Its quicker in the winter. Reckon its low on gas or more serious? Once its going it stays on, but always takes about the same time to get going. My missus has a Honda jazz and that works instantly, in this weather I've been tempted to borrow it.

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I discovered a good way to check the charge level of my car's (Peugeot 2008 diesel) battery. If the stop-start system doesn't operate at traffic lights, that means the charge level is lower than it should be.

But surely to check that you need to have started the car and gotten moving? Not much good if you've left it for 3 weeks and want to see how it is 

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

I have a 2007 diesel A3, currently at about 150k miles, not had an emissions warning or anything before. My commute is 15 minutes and I rarely take it down the motorway, should I be worried? Owned it about 3 years. It's a DSG and my commute is country roads so I'll often paddle shift with it whilst revving it quite high as it's quite fun, does that blow it out at all similarly to a motorway run? I dont speed (:ph34r:) but the roads allow me to hit 60 for a while. Shit its gonna go isnt it aha.

For its age it's been a brilliant car. Only had a rear suspension coil snap and the instrument cluster die so far (plus usual brakes etc).

Saying that, anyone know much about aircon? Mine only seems to work after I've been driving for about 10 minutes. Blowing hot air for a while then suddenly go cold. Its quicker in the winter. Reckon its low on gas or more serious? Once its going it stays on, but always takes about the same time to get going. My missus has a Honda jazz and that works instantly, in this weather I've been tempted to borrow it.

My very inexperienced head says that if the air con needed gassing it wouldn't work at all. The fact that it comes on eventually and then stays on could be a micro switch issue? But how long is it blowing warm for initially? It won't get instantly cold as soon as you start the engine, it needs to get cold, hence it being quicker to cool in the winter. I'm surprised the Honda is cold instantly, I've never had one like that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

My very inexperienced head says that if the air con needed gassing it wouldn't work at all. The fact that it comes on eventually and then stays on could be a micro switch issue? But how long is it blowing warm for initially? It won't get instantly cold as soon as you start the engine, it needs to get cold, hence it being quicker to cool in the winter. I'm surprised the Honda is cold instantly, I've never had one like that. 

Always a similar time to get going. I live in broughton astley and by the time I get to narborough it's usually working (not always). Usually around 10 mins. Always produces a very distinct "aircon" smell just before it starts. The jazz is my grandads old car, 2009 plate done, 20k miles, I doubt the aircon was ever used. Lovely and cold very quickly.