Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jace

What game was it you started to believe we could win the Premier League this season?

Have to agree with Man City away. From Mahrez's brilliant goal, to Big Nige on Fletch and Sav before the game brazenly telling everyone we'd be winning both the game and the league (was amazing), to comprehensively turning them over, then being installed as favourites for the first time after the game. That was when I accepted winning the league was a genuine possibility for us with the way our season had gone.

We did have a wobble in Dec/Jan but considering almost every team has a spell of bad form during their season we manouevred it brilliantly in hindsight, minimal damage to our league form. 1 win in 7 games but that included 2 cup games, a draw against City, just 1 league loss and the win - Spurs away. So we beat them in our worst form of the season lol.

Then we battered Stoke, played like Barcelona against Liverpool and after Man City we had proven we were up there on merit.

Also, glad this thread finally got created!

I'd be interested in a thread documenting when posters on FoxesTalk first stated publicly that they believed we would win the league (assuming, of course, that we do win the league) - we could even get a sense of "belief" amongst the posters at various stages of the game.

i know its negative but im still doubtful, sure im telling others we are going to do it... but deep inside i still  expect to miss out.

I always thought we could win it.... ive never believed we WOULD

Man City away was amazing. Maybe our result of the season. But it was the following weeks loss to Arsenal after which I thought we could win the title. We were so competitive in that game for the best part of a half down to 10 men at their place. That, and Arsenal celebrating like they'd won the champions league after they'd beaten little 'ol Leicester. That showed me that, mentally, Arsenal would fade again. And that we'd have probably won that game if we'd stayed with 11 men. Our last loss seems like quite a while ago now.

After our game with Man Utd.

But TBH I had always thought it possible from half way through the season but dismissed it from my mind as nonsense. We have always looked unnerved and unworried about other teams and the pressure. The players were enjoying the games and playing with each other. (on the field) 

It is like looking at the horses in the Grand National after they have crossed the winning line. There is always one horse that has been specially trained for the race and that horse turns out to be the winner but the average punter does not see the connection until it is too late.

LCFC is that horse.

I didn't start envisage that scenario up until we beat Swansea without Vardy last week, because it finally proved that this team is more than just about individuals. It's about teamwork and cohesion.

But I'm still holding back. I'm serious. We're not there yet. We've had the usual title contenders breathing down our necks for about three quarters of the season and it's now between us and Spurs, who have seen their positive approach turning into something productive and who been following us closely up until now.

During that period, I simply said to myself "let's see where this one is taking us" and was jubilant every time we won, happy for the team to break records, to keep clean sheets, happy for Jamie Vardy to have such a brilliant season given his personal and sportive past, happy for Mahrez that he has added flair and magic to a team otherwise oozing fighting spirit, happy for Kanté to be able show off his workrate and happy to see him evolve in such a short space of time, happy for the team as a whole that all the "misfits" and "has-beens", the previously unknowns and belittled players have thrived under a sympathetic manager, boosted by a fantastic support and generous owners.

It's highly likely it'll take a while for the fact to sink in that we've won the Premier League (in case we win it). It's so bizarre. It makes me look so pedestrian, because you follow the season and you think to yourself "this can't be happening". It's so unreal.

Around Christmas:

There's one immutable law in the title race - arsenal will **** it up. It's why I'm confident of the title - getting past Manchesters city and United and Chelsea, only to lose the title to Leicester, would be so arsenal

Admittedly I was taking the piss out of arsenal saying I was confident, but I did think we were in the race.

After our game with Man Utd.

But TBH I had always thought it possible from half way through the season but dismissed it from my mind as nonsense. We have always looked unnerved and unworried about other teams and the pressure. The players were enjoying the games and playing with each other. (on the field)

It is like looking at the horses in the Grand National after they have crossed the winning line. There is always one horse that has been specially trained for the race and that horse turns out to be the winner but the average punter does not see the connection until it is too late.

LCFC is that horse.

I agree with your basic gist entirely. However I don't think you meant unnerved in its true meaning! It means the opposite of how you imagine it :-)

Has to be the Norwich game. People saying how would we cope with teams giving us respect and being tough to break down. That goal from Ulloa really made me think you know what there's no reason why we cant go all the way.

Each win before that game I would just laugh that we kept getting results. Then when we beat Norwich the laughter kind of stopped and the thought of this season not went from 'being a good run and we will eventually fall away' to 'hang on a minute, can we ACTUALLY do it?'

I'm counting down the days now. Sunday and Monday will be incredible days as I would be very surprised if the title isn't wrapped up this weekend.

Archived