Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross-Kemp

N'Golo Kante - Confirmed - £32m to Chelsea

A real pet peeve of mine is when fans of other football clubs dictate how Leicester fans should react to things. That irritating eventuality came to fruition yet again this weekend as fans praised Kanté’s decision to leave for Chelsea. It’s silly but it bothers me.

The City fanbase is split after the transfer was completed on Saturday. Some of us are misty-eyed at the thought of a hero riding off in to the sunset, but the rest of us are feeling short-changed because an adored player jumped ship for money
To outsiders, seeing fans like myself condemn Kanté’s decision to move to Chelsea may look like a common case of transfer window sour grapes. After all, despite Leicester’s heroic performance last term, we are still a much smaller club than Chelsea. That being said, I can assure you, no matter what it looks like, that resentment towards this transfer is down to anything but bitterness.

When Leicester City won the Premier League last season, it was a truly magical time, a magnificent tale of a band of brothers defeating odds of 5,000/1 to lift English football’s most sought after prize. So, given that the club has realised this remarkable fairytale, qualified for Champion’s League football, and can boast a team spirit that sides the world over envy, why would anyone want to leave?

The record will always show that England’s best team have sold their best player to England’s 10th best team. No matter what prestige Chelsea carry, they will not be playing in Europe next season. No matter what the pundits say, there is no tangible evidence that Chelsea are a better side than Leicester City. And on the back of testimonies from virtually every single person involved with the Foxes, Leicester’s squad has a bond to die for. So, the only logical reason for N’Golo Kanté to have moved from Filbert Way to Stamford Bridge is money - £150,000 a week - funds that City simply cannot compete with.

So, to observers who think this is to do with bitterness, tell me why exactly Leicester fans should be content with Kanté’s motives. Let’s flash forward a year to the end of the 2016-17 season, Leicester have finished 8th in the league, failed to win either domestic cup and after an admirable fight in Europe have been knocked out of the Champion’s League’s Last 16 stage. Regardless of their achievements paling in to comparison with the season preceding it, Kanté, Mahrez, Vardy and co have had another stellar season. With those performances, the big clubs come swooping again, the Real Madrids, the PSGs and the Manchester Uniteds of this world offer in excess of £30m and Leicester’s star turns feel their future is elsewhere, and leave the club with heavy hearts. Those are the admirable circumstances that Leicester fans would accept their star players departing, not on the back of fallacious myths about players being better able to win trophies somewhere other than the current champions of England.

As of right now, the club has built something special, a core of footballers bound by integrity and determination who are embarrassing the bank-rolled big boys, qualities Kanté seemingly doesn’t possess. The 2015-16 season was just the start of this story, Leicester find themselves in Europe, and as defending champions of England with unbound potential. It is clear, N’Golo Kanté did not back himself to succeed next season and snapped at the chance of a big pay day while he was on the crest of a wave.

Whilst, I, and every single Leicester fan will be grateful to the class of 2015-16 for their heroic efforts in winning the unlikeliest title in sports history, it is important to remember that the club owes nothing to the Foxes’ triple entente. N’Golo Kanté, Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy, much like the vast majority of City’s current crop were rejects plucked from obscurity and given the world by an unfashionable East Midlands outfit who conquered it. Anyone with a shred of integrity would surmise that these players are owed nothing from Leicester City, but in contrast, owed the club one more season themselves.

N’Golo Kanté has proven himself to be spineless, and unworthy of any respect from the Foxes faithful. Of course, there is no denying his immense ability and his part in last season’s triumph, if you trawled through my Twitter feed, you would find no end of gushing praise for him, but now, he will be remembered as the man who abandoned the most exciting prospect in football for more money than he could ever spend. And the same will be true of Riyad Mahrez, if rumours of him leaving the King Power Stadium are accurate.

So N’Golo Kanté, thank you for the memories, but good riddance - this squad cannot carry any avaricious snakes. You would have gone down as a legend at Leicester City, unarguably as one of the greatest in the 132 years of the club’s existence, but you have bottled it. But as your own quote details, you were “so happy to have signed for one of the biggest clubs in Europe” on Saturday, instead. Well, here’s a rude awakening for you, N’Golo. Chelsea are not in Europe - and now, neither are you.

The guy who wrote this should get a promotion, 100% on point.

Got to be his agent that pushed any move. Kante seemed such a demure character. Rumour has it he thought he was going to Arsenal and turned out to be Chelsea. He was unsure about coming to us. He may be unsure about everything in life apart from playing football. My feeling is, he is being bullied by all around him and in time may wish he had grown a pair. I hope we prove this too and Chelsea fail to hit Champions League.

15 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

Got to be his agent that pushed any move. Kante seemed such a demure character. Rumour has it he thought he was going to Arsenal and turned out to be Chelsea. He was unsure about coming to us. He may be unsure about everything in life apart from playing football. My feeling is, he is being bullied by all around him and in time may wish he had grown a pair. I hope we prove this too and Chelsea fail to hit Champions League.

I'm sorry, I know footballers are stereotypically thick but i'm not having he/they're that thick or that much of a puppet.

He knew exactly where he was going, what he was doing and for what money.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Chelsea biding 75m for morrata, shows what a farce kantes value was

In what way?

morrata has no clause in his contract

If we sold Riyad for 50m, people would say that was well overpriced (non lcfc people). 

We did well to get 32m, given Chelsea could argue that the Shanghai bid wasn't relevant. 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

In what way?

morrata has no clause in his contract

If we sold Riyad for 50m, people would say that was well overpriced (non lcfc people). 

We did well to get 32m, given Chelsea could argue that the Shanghai bid wasn't relevant. 

In the way that players are majorally over priced, 75m reportedly rejected 

On 7/19/2016 at 05:25, Beliall said:

If it was me. I would want to take my place in the competition I had earned the right to play in

I do see your point but if it was me, i'd want to get paid the most i could for doing what i'm good at.

If Kante had turned out crap, we wouldnt of shown any loyalty in getting rid as quack as possible so in the long run we cant complain really eaither. As much as it hurts to say...

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm sorry, I know footballers are stereotypically thick but i'm not having he/they're that thick or that much of a puppet.

He knew exactly where he was going, for what money and what he was doing.

If your right, then how we saw his character as slightly withdrawn was totally untrue and he was and is only ever interested in his next pay packet. I'm still trying to comes to terms with this so in my head winning the league meant less to him than how much he could earn next season. That's a sociopath.

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

I do see your point but if it was me, i'd want to get paid the most i could for doing what i'm good at.

If Kante had turned out crap, we wouldnt of shown any loyalty in getting rid as quack as possible so in the long run we cant complain really eaither. As much as it hurts to say...

Someone posted something like this the other day, do Conrad Logan and Andy King (Whilst he's not crap, I'm not saying he is, I love him, lets be honest he could be moved on - We've shown loyalty to him and likewise he has shown loyalty to us) ring any bells regards loyalty.

I know that's only two examples but that's just off the top of my head.

5 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

If your right, then how we saw his character as slightly withdrawn was totally untrue and he was and is only ever interested in his next pay packet. I'm still trying to comes to terms with this so in my head winning the league meant less to him than how much he could earn next season. That's a sociopath.

There's no reason why somebody who is slightly withdrawn shouldn't care about money. You've created a character for somebody based entirely on guesswork.

18 minutes ago, MPH said:

He would have had the fallback of a 4 year contract at around 6 x a week more than what he had been on at Caen.

37 minutes ago, MPH said:

Don't think we'd have ducked our obligations.

I'm amazed these days that ANY ONE still believes in this concept of 'loyalty' in football.

Footballers see the game as their career. I have it on good authority that some players don't even particularly like football! They are just good at it so that's their job.

Added to this the short shelf life of Footballers, where they might want to live, what they see themselves as being 'worth' in the market, the infuence of agents who themselves want to make as much as they can as quickly as they can and the whole thing drifts away from this daft notion of 'loyalty'.

Football fans are also fickle. In some cases, hugely fickle. I wonder whether Kante ever really felt 'loved' by City fans or if we just had some romantic notion that he did?

If he reads any forum like this, he'll immediately see how any such love can turn to hate overnight.

If Kante, the person  (not who WE think he is) has decided he wants to leave then so be it. He'll have his own reasons for doing so and the same reasons that any of us might have for changing our jobs or the companies we work for etc. I don't hate him for doing so. It's his life, not mine. 

The only shame is that he's not given himself a crack (at least, next season) at the Champs League and WE have lost a superb little player.

He's an entertainer with value to a team.....imo, more similar to a drummer in a band leaving than me leaving my job for another employee doing the same work. The band has to find a replacement which might never equal what they have lost and the fans feel pissed off cause they were just about to go on tour.

Just the way I see it and yes we've lost a superb little player

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Ducked his obligations lol come on mate.

the minute Chelsea put in an offer and Leicester accept he isn't obligated to do anything. The way some of you carry on you'd of thought we'd never signed a player contracted to another club.

Yes it's disappointing he's not had more faith in the club and the direction it's taking but it's his choice, we've agreed to it, no reason to not part on good terms on get on with it. 

4 hours ago, katieakita said:

He would have had the fallback of a 4 year contract at around 6 x a week more than what he had been on at Caen.

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Not quite sure what you are both saying, here. But to clarify, I'm simply saying if he hadn't of done well at all we would of probably accepted the first decent offer that came in...

25 minutes ago, MPH said:

Not quite sure what you are both saying, here. But to clarify, I'm simply saying if he hadn't of done well at all we would of probably accepted the first decent offer that came in...

Dunno what Katie's on about but pretty sure Mike's referring to the way Kantés left for better paying pastures before giving us a final swan song.

51 minutes ago, MPH said:

What I am saying is he agreed a contract and I stand to be corrected for 4 years when he signed. The contract seems to be a considerable amount more than his salary at Caen in the region of 6 x what he had been paid, which he happily signed. If it hadn't worked out he would have been paid he would still have been paid whatever had been agreed. If we had wanted to sell him he could have said no. Basically his contract with us should have more than guaranteed him a very high standard of living for life. Clearly though MPH we misunderstood one another.

For the record sad he left not angry, sad we never got to see how we would have done with him next. Puzzled by the choice of Chelsea but his choice, shocked also how poorly his PR team handled the move and would not have taken 5 minutes to draft a thank you statement. Also saddened by the lack of faith in the club by some on here we have so much to be positive about.

7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Ducked his obligations lol come on mate.

the minute Chelsea put in an offer and Leicester accept he isn't obligated to do anything. The way some of you carry on you'd of thought we'd never signed a player contracted to another club.

Yes it's disappointing he's not had more faith in the club and the direction it's taking but it's his choice, we've agreed to it, no reason to not part on good terms on get on with it. 

Whoosh !

Read the post I quoted above :)

5 hours ago, MPH said:

As for reply to Manwell.

I'm sure we"d have footed the BILL.

10 hours ago, MPH said:

LCFC offered 100,000 a WEEK!! how is that not enough?

If money is the reason, I say fair play to the fella. At the very most he likely has 10 years of playing football left. You've seen how shy and uncommanding the bloke is personality-wise, he is never gonna go into management and there is no evidence to suggest he could go onto punditry even in his own language. He has a relatively short space of time to maximise his earnings.

But if you add in the fact that he can now base himself in London with easy access back to France, and if the stats regress to the mean as you would reasonably expect he also has a good chance of winning trophies while he is there, then for me it's a decision you can't blame him for at all.

The stuff about loyalty is pure nonsense sorry. I've seen Leicester fans turn on players mid-game, chant the names of their preferred players AT the ones who are playing, cheer when one of our own is subbed off, and generally lambast individuals for weeks on end when things don't look absolutely perfect. And clubs get rid of players at the drop of a hat let's be honest. A change in manager or just a bad run of games and you can find yourself out of favour. "Loyalty" is not a logical reason to make decisions in football sorry.

6 hours ago, katieakita said:

What I am saying is he agreed a contract and I stand to be corrected for 4 years when he signed. The contract seems to be a considerable amount more than his salary at Caen in the region of 6 x what he had been paid, which he happily signed. If it hadn't worked out he would have been paid he would still have been paid whatever had been agreed. If we had wanted to sell him he could have said no. Basically his contract with us should have more than guaranteed him a very high standard of living for life. Clearly though MPH we misunderstood one another.

For the record sad he left not angry, sad we never got to see how we would have done with him next. Puzzled by the choice of Chelsea but his choice, shocked also how poorly his PR team handled the move and would not have taken 5 minutes to draft a thank you statement. Also saddened by the lack of faith in the club by some on here we have so much to be positive about.

Didn't he thank everyone like, a day later?

Archived