Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross-Kemp

N'Golo Kante - Confirmed - £32m to Chelsea

5 minutes ago, Richard Kingson said:

Didn't he thank everyone like, a day later?

Cannot place it his team could just as easily put out a half hearted goodbye on the day rather than after the event if so, perhaps I am just old fashioned:)

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  Maybe, just maybe, Kante moved because Chelsea WAS his dream team (just like he said).  A team he dreamt of playing for as a young up and coming star in France.  When the opportunity arose he jumped at it ...   never mind that we are in the Champions League and they aren't ...   what if he stayed and then Chelsea got someone else and didn't want him next year ?   That chance may then have been lost forever.    After that it was down to his agent to get him the best deal.   I think he is very shy and reserved so maybe he didn't handle the move well ...   you can't blame him for that.  He gave us the best season we have ever had and a tidy profit.   Lets just stick with that and move on.   Who knows, we survived the loss of the mighty Cambiasso, and we just might survive the loss of Kante.   Or even do better !!

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

I will never comprehend it. 4.8 million a year is enough to secure a footballers future

A five year contract at 50k pw extra, that's 12.5 million more, even if he breaks his leg next week and never plays again. Are you honestly saying that kind of money wouldn't sway you a bit?

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I'm amazed these days that ANY ONE still believes in this concept of 'loyalty' in football.

Footballers see the game as their career. I have it on good authority that some players don't even particularly like football! They are just good at it so that's their job.

Added to this the short shelf life of Footballers, where they might want to live, what they see themselves as being 'worth' in the market, the infuence of agents who themselves want to make as much as they can as quickly as they can and the whole thing drifts away from this daft notion of 'loyalty'.

Football fans are also fickle. In some cases, hugely fickle. I wonder whether Kante ever really felt 'loved' by City fans or if we just had some romantic notion that he did?

If he reads any forum like this, he'll immediately see how any such love can turn to hate overnight.

If Kante, the person  (not who WE think he is) has decided he wants to leave then so be it. He'll have his own reasons for doing so and the same reasons that any of us might have for changing our jobs or the companies we work for etc. I don't hate him for doing so. It's his life, not mine. 

The only shame is that he's not given himself a crack (at least, next season) at the Champs League and WE have lost a superb little player.

This top post.

5 minutes ago, Beliall said:

I will never comprehend it. 4.8 million a year is enough to secure a footballers future

It's not like he was born in Leicester. He's played an important role in an incredible season that was beyond anything we could have hoped for. We accepted an offer for him, so he's got no obligation to stay. He probably thinks that at 25 he's going to stand more chance of continued success - plus I'm sure the money helped - at Chelsea than he does at Leicester, some of us might disagree but I don't see what good begrudging him the move can do. I want them all to stay, but they've given us the best season we've had watching Leicester City, none of them owe us as fans anything.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

A five year contract at 50k pw extra, that's 12.5 million more, even if he breaks his leg next week and never plays again. Are you honestly saying that kind of money wouldn't sway you a bit?

It's hard to imagine to be honest. I don't know. I'm not a footballer so trying to imagine that choice is impossible. But from my perspective, knowing I will never see that kind of money in my entire life, I would stay and take the 100k. At least for 1 more season and play in the Champions League

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Someone posted something like this the other day, do Conrad Logan and Andy King (Whilst he's not crap, I'm not saying he is, I love him, lets be honest he could be moved on - We've shown loyalty to him and likewise he has shown loyalty to us) ring any bells regards loyalty.

I know that's only two examples but that's just off the top of my head.

Neither of those players had big bids coming in from other teams where they would have had a better chance of winning things regularly, playing with the worlds best players, getting paid a lot more etc. King is a rare example and to use Conrad is ridiculous. He was never gonna leave while we paid him a nice cheque to sit on the bench, he had little ambition, just look at the physical state he was in half the time. Such is the life of a career substitute goalkeeper.

19 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

It's not like he was born in Leicester. He's played an important role in an incredible season that was beyond anything we could have hoped for. We accepted an offer for him, so he's got no obligation to stay. He probably thinks that at 25 he's going to stand more chance of continued success - plus I'm sure the money helped - at Chelsea than he does at Leicester, some of us might disagree but I don't see what good begrudging him the move can do. I want them all to stay, but they've given us the best season we've had watching Leicester City, none of them owe us as fans anything.

I was'nt talking about loyalty. Iwas arguing the difference between millions of pounds a year and millions of pounds a year.

It was just about money and everything else is a smokescreen 

It was his Agents big chance to make serious money for his Client and more importantly himself 

This opportunity was "missed" by his Agent when we negotiated the deal from Caen 

As ever nothing is straight forward when dealing with foreign Agents who like to make the rules up as they go along. Rudkin might have plenty of faults but being held to ransom by Agents isn't one of them. Easy for fans to judge him but the owners are businessmen at heart and so any player has a certain value that simply won't be exceeded wether that is in a transfer fee or wages.

17 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

It was just about money and everything else is a smokescreen 

It was his Agents big chance to make serious money for his Client and more importantly himself 

This opportunity was "missed" by his Agent when we negotiated the deal from Caen 

As ever nothing is straight forward when dealing with foreign Agents who like to make the rules up as they go along. Rudkin might have plenty of faults but being held to ransom by Agents isn't one of them. Easy for fans to judge him but the owners are businessmen at heart and so any player has a certain value that simply won't be exceeded wether that is in a transfer fee or wages.

So what did he do in the deal from Caen for you to commend him?

10 hours ago, katieakita said:

What I am saying is he agreed a contract and I stand to be corrected for 4 years when he signed. The contract seems to be a considerable amount more than his salary at Caen in the region of 6 x what he had been paid, which he happily signed. If it hadn't worked out he would have been paid he would still have been paid whatever had been agreed. If we had wanted to sell him he could have said no. Basically his contract with us should have more than guaranteed him a very high standard of living for life. Clearly though MPH we misunderstood one another.

For the record sad he left not angry, sad we never got to see how we would have done with him next. Puzzled by the choice of Chelsea but his choice, shocked also how poorly his PR team handled the move and would not have taken 5 minutes to draft a thank you statement. Also saddened by the lack of faith in the club by some on here we have so much to be positive about.

Thanks for clarifying.

yes he could of said no to a transfer had things gone crap for him but not many players actually enjoy playing reserve team football in a different country let alone their own..

25 minutes ago, MPH said:

Thanks for clarifying.

yes he could of said no to a transfer had things gone crap for him but not many players actually enjoy playing reserve team football in a different country let alone their own..

So think we can agree if Chelsea was his boyhood club he was more of a fan of Makalele than Winston Bogarde.

29 minutes ago, katieakita said:

So think we can agree if Chelsea was his boyhood club he was more of a fan of Makalele than Winston Bogarde.

Just as long as it wasnt Dennis Wise...

Its starting to dawn on some of you now.

everyone and everything at the club has a value.

if a player wants more than we think he is worth then forget it. if we get an offer that we consider is fair value (assuming no clauses dictate otherwise) then we will take it.

as an example, riyad is happy here but if someone offers 50 million we would sell him.

more importantly, walsh lost several members of his scouting department. had the club made sure that these guys didn't leave then perhaps he wouldn't have been tempted by everton's offer. but the club have a salary that they believe is fair for these members of staff and they will find someone else to do that job for that wage.

it will lead to plenty of comings and goings as our profile is raised even further.

get used to it.

7 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

Neither of those players had big bids coming in from other teams where they would have had a better chance of winning things regularly, playing with the worlds best players, getting paid a lot more etc. King is a rare example and to use Conrad is ridiculous. He was never gonna leave while we paid him a nice cheque to sit on the bench, he had little ambition, just look at the physical state he was in half the time. Such is the life of a career substitute goalkeeper.

We kept giving Logan new contracts though, without arguably using him as a backup keeper because when a backup keeper was used we got one in on loan a few times. 

16 hours ago, Matt said:

We kept giving Logan new contracts though, without arguably using him as a backup keeper because when a backup keeper was used we got one in on loan a few times. 

That's called covering your own arse, and still has no relation to any loyalty at all so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at there. He was just lazy, with no real ambition. He kept getting offered new, better contracts to sit around doing absolutely nothing at all. You could say Winston Bogarde was loyal to Chelsea because he didn't leave them, and just sat in the reserves on his huge contract.

50K per week / 150K per week, yes it's stupid money but the tax is still half. Go to China if you want no tax and double/treble your money.

This one still grates on me. No other player has been pulled from obscurity to complete an impossible title winning performance in such a short period of time in the history of football and then fvcks off without a thank you to play for a rival that could, maybe, perhaps be in the champions league in a year or two or three.

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I had intended to respond to your comforting post but was distracted. I appreciate the thought - from a consistently insightful thinker. I think that Kanté's leaving has broken a spell but now it's up to the team and management [and fans] to form a new élan - a difficult ask after such an unprecedented season. I think this is where Ranieri will need all his motivational nouse.

My first wish is that the team's togetherness stays strong. Temptation can be a corrosive thing.

For me the ingredients of another exciting season are all but in place and it's just a matter of getting the right blend again while not falling victim to some unexpected drama, especially one that's not been adequately covered in our squad strengthening.    

Archived