Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

LCFC U21 / Development Squad 2016/17

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

For the record, i have no personal issues with anyone at LCFC academy just a reasonable knowledge of the systems due to acquaintances and research..... but your inaccurate assumption highlights one of the main issues in English Academy football in that anyone who raises difficult questions or highlights factual failings is immeditaely classified as having a problem or a personal issue where as the alternative (say nothing, do nothing) simply allows any failings to go unnoticed,  unpublicised and unchallenged!

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't"

If you follow the earlier comments in this thread, you will see that most of the comments from myself and others were focussed on comparing LCFC academy Vs the success of Southampton who are a club with similar resources but signficantly greater success.

The comments on Chelsea were merely to highlight to Ric Flair what can be done with significnat investment and defened the fact that it is not CFCs academy that is faiing to produce players, it is the 1st team that do not suport the academy.

So in answer to your question, how do you think LCFC way up against Southampton academy?

The one massive advantage Southampton has over LCFC is their catchment area as there are no real rivals at all until you get towards London

laws of average therefore mean they probably get twice as many very very good kids to start with

do they develop them better than LCFC ?

evidence shows they quite clearly do

LCFC Academy is at a crossroads and simply can't continue in the same vain so they either invest more money to employ top class coaches or they follow the Brentford route

New training ground is still on the agenda so looks like further investment is the probable route

Chelsea and Man City are really red herrings in terms of comparing developing kids as the investment in their Academies would probably be at least ten times more than the next ones

I somehow completely missed Tom Lawrence. Saw he's won an award at Ipswich. Anyone seen him play? Reckon he could get a first team place as either a striker or a left winger? He seems to have been on loan since forever.

37 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Today's the day to not get relegated. 

Btw what ever happened to the Thai academy. The club don't even bother talking about it anymore.

Spurs away , form is 4 draws and a loss in the last 5 . Going to be tough .

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Southampton should be the benchmark in the long-run for two very simple reasons - one, they're excellent at producing players, two, they are probably the most similar sized club to us in the country. Bloody hell even their ground is basically ours in red.

A very good point made earlier in the thread that highlights a huge fundamental flaw for me - comparing us to other failing academies. Why are we trying to excuse it? Southampton are putting us, and plenty of our size to shame. I'm not expecting us to turn into Southampton overnight, but it's ridiculous to think we shouldn't aspire to that. It's that exact mindset that makes England shit and it's precisely why we have the most half-arsed national side on the planet. We're only as good as we are internationally because we're a very big country on football, but for how popular it is we under-achieve ridiculously at that level and it's because of attitudes like that.

German clubs care about their academies. The vast majority of Bundesliga sides are producing players. England comparatively produce fvck all.

I'm not saying we're any worse than Derby, or Forest, or West Brom, or Stoke, or Norwich etc... but I'm naturally more bothered about what we do than the others. If clubs in England put as much emphasis on their academies as German clubs did we'd have a far better national side and a lot more English players in the Premier League. The Premier League has the lowest % of domestic players of any league in Europe. Not one bit surprising, but a pretty embarrassing stat all the same.

Absolutely spot-on mate!   Could not agree with you more on every point...!  :)

4 hours ago, ramadaone said:

The one massive advantage Southampton has over LCFC is their catchment area as there are no real rivals at all until you get towards London

laws of average therefore mean they probably get twice as many very very good kids to start with

do they develop them better than LCFC ?

evidence shows they quite clearly do

LCFC Academy is at a crossroads and simply can't continue in the same vain so they either invest more money to employ top class coaches or they follow the Brentford route

New training ground is still on the agenda so looks like further investment is the probable route

Chelsea and Man City are really red herrings in terms of comparing developing kids as the investment in their Academies would probably be at least ten times more than the next ones

Not sure Southamptons catchment area is a signficantly huge advatnge over LCFC as they have Brighton, Reading (both Cat1 academies) and Bournemouth all within 1 hour travel distance (+ Swindon, Bristol, Portsmouth & Palace at a stretch) where as we have only WBA, Villa & Derby with Cat1 status (+ Cov, Forest, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd & Birmingham).

In essence, we both have 2 PL side rival clubs within 1 hour drive + a variery of other championship level options

My research hasnt yet included ay population density anallysis in those areas but suspect would be slightly greater in Midlands area so it is a reasonable point you make but I dont think LCFC  are necessarily competing against bigger/better resourced clubs for players than Southampton are at present. 

The key question is which club would a promising top young player choose in their respective catchment areas (ie Midlands Vs Soth West) if they had the choice of all surrounding options on the basis of which acadmey would be most likley to offer them a structured pathway and potential future in professional football?

All things being equal, my guess would be that in Sth West, they would choose Southampton but in the Midlands, the answer is not quite so straight forward, even though LCFC are now by far considereed the "leading" club...

But i definitely agree on your Brentford point as this is now likley to be followed my more and more lower league clubs as they see their best young players cherry-picked on the cheap by the PL teams and Cat 1 acadmies and realise that it is just as easy for them to pick up the Cat1 cast offs for FREE at U18/19 when they have been released by the big London/Manchester/Liverpool clubs after their scholarship or 1 year professionl contarcts end (Wigan being the very latest example to announce closure of their U18 ACademy only last week!)

1 minute ago, TheMightySystem said:

Sounds like Barnes is dominating going off of twitter, get him off at half time and play him on Saturday if we want to bring youngsters through. Play him while he is confident.

Far more important to get the U23's to stay up than save Barnes for Saturday.

Archived