Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

51 minutes ago, Ashley said:

He's not added anything? How do our fans fail to realise he's been in the top goal scoring charts of Europe for how many consecutive seasons.

You may not like it but he's had 13 appearances scored 5 times and assisted 6. That isn't ordinary. 

People just hate him because of the price-tag and the fact he hasn't scored 30 goals in a side that has created about 1 chance a game all season. No point trying to get through to them. 

It's pretty difficult to judge him so far. He came and made an instant impact, then injury and AFCON meant that we haven't had the chance to judge him properly in any capacity. Add to that the completely dreadful football we've played for the majority of the season - which I feel differs in the case of Musa, who's had many chances, played many games and hasn't made any considerable impact since a pre-season game. 

I don't think it's fair to write him off just yet. As someone posted earlier, I can't actually remember a spell of 2 games where he's started consecutively. His record shows that he has the pedigree and I think if given a solid pre-season he could be fantastic for us. He has every attribute to - aggressive, great in the air and chases far more defenders than any 'big striker' I can remember here. 

12 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think we should select our starting line ups based more on the opposition. Claudio never did this as our manager. Some teams you just can't play 'in behind' this season. They don't give you that space. (Hull will demonstrate this on Saturday). Although I'd be loathed to take Vardy out of the side as he is on a run, it might be the perfect game for Slimani. We'll see how cute our man on the touch line is (whoever that may be come Saturday)

So who should we have changed things against last season? 

Good teams have a plan b when things aren't going well but they don't compromise their style and start playing a target man just because they're playing a certain team. That's what average, limited teams do.

We should be good enough to make other teams change their style for us. That's what we did last season and it still didn't work for them.

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

People just hate him because of the price-tag and the fact he hasn't scored 30 goals in a side that has created about 1 chance a game all season. No point trying to get through to them. 

True this. Not to mention he's been out majority of the Season and also gone to the AFCON then again that's Leicester fans for you.

I just don't think he's especially happy here. He's been a bit of a part-timer all along and doesn't look especially fit or sharp - which may be down to his injury but that  doesn't help us. If the Chinese want him they're welcome.  At least it would ease our AFCON problems in future and that would be a plus.       

Guest ttfn
8 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

BTW Slimani for £30m was terrible business. I don't know how you can argue with that. A massive waste of money on a limited player who doesn't suit us at a time when we had the world at our feet.

The whole point with Slimani is that he doesn't suit our style. He's an alternative to Vardy and gives us a different option against packed defences.

Arguably he's a better option up front on Saturday because we're expecting a parked bus from Hull. If there's no space for Vardy he's not effective, whereas Slimani's attributes are better suited for breaking down a deep lying defence.

12 hours ago, the fox said:

Slimani was better than vardy when Leicester was playing bad but people refuse to believe that he could actually be great in a better side. Stop looking at the price tag. He has less than desirable feet but it's not like okazaki and vardy are much better.

Vardy is. I like slimani but let's not pretend he has better feet than vardy

I love slim still think he is going to be unbelievable for us. However even as a massive fan I can conceeded that somewhere between the clubs poor form and his own niggly hamstring injury it hasn't quite clicked for him yet like I know it can.

Despite this he is still performing way better in terms of goals per premier league minutes than a lot of comparable players.

Slimani = 1 goal every 190 minutes

Vardy = 1 goal every 256 minutes 

Deeney = 1 goal every 280 minutes

Benteke = 1 goal every 232 minutes

Also people saying he is a sick note, he started every single leauge game in Portugal last season we are not dealing with Darren Eadie here. He just has a niggly muscle tissue tissue injury and anyone who has played the game at any level will have probably had a groin, hamstring or calf injury that won't shift before. He just needs a proper length of time off but because the team and vardy have been so poor he has been rushed back into first team action asap but hopfully now vardy has finally found a bit of form he can come back when he is fully healed and ease himself back into first team duties and we can really see the best of him.

Anyway that's just my two pennies as to why we shouldn't write him of yet Although I don't know why I'm bothering trying to come up with reasoned arguements and backing them up with facts because if you think Slimani is bollocks after watching the same games as me then you are either stupid or don't understand football. Either way there is probably no reasoning with you.

3 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

So who should we have changed things against last season? 

Good teams have a plan b when things aren't going well but they don't compromise their style and start playing a target man just because they're playing a certain team. That's what average, limited teams do.

We should be good enough to make other teams change their style for us. That's what we did last season and it still didn't work for them.

I agree. Last season worked for us. Great.

This season, we've been found out and we should've adapted, should still adapt. But we won't. If that makes us an 'average limited team' then so be it. We are.

3 hours ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

It's pretty difficult to judge him so far. He came and made an instant impact, then injury and AFCON meant that we haven't had the chance to judge him properly in any capacity. Add to that the completely dreadful football we've played for the majority of the season - which I feel differs in the case of Musa, who's had many chances, played many games and hasn't made any considerable impact since a pre-season game. 

I don't think it's fair to write him off just yet. As someone posted earlier, I can't actually remember a spell of 2 games where he's started consecutively. His record shows that he has the pedigree and I think if given a solid pre-season he could be fantastic for us. He has every attribute to - aggressive, great in the air and chases far more defenders than any 'big striker' I can remember here. 

In fairness to Musa, he scored 2 in a competitive FA Cup fixture against Everton. 

3 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Despite this he is still performing way better in terms of goals per premier league minutes than a lot of comparable players.

Stop using legitimate stats to prove your point. I will have non of it, for 30 million I expect a goal every 70 minute. They said he is good with his head!? I'm yet to see a diving header goal from the halfway line.

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Slimani in the high press, quick turnover team with Vardy running the channels, will score shed loads.

And people still don't get it. With slimani in a high press team he can use his strength and stamina a lot better than okazaki to clog the midfield. And him being a box/heading threat will stretch the defense more and will create a lot of the chances like the first vardy goal.

3 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

@the fox

Yes Slimani should be tried in this high press team, alongside Vardy. However my only concern is when teams break through our high press and pass around it. In that scenario would Slimani track back to our own box, like Okazaki does?

It doesn't work alongside Vardy, the problem we've already seen is that both Slimani and Vardy were going fore the same balls, we can't have 2 forwards playing the same game in the same space. That's not to say that it couldn't be made to work with a good game plan.

7 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

It doesn't work alongside Vardy, the problem we've already seen is that both Slimani and Vardy were going fore the same balls, we can't have 2 forwards playing the same game in the same space. That's not to say that it couldn't be made to work with a good game plan.

It worked against Burnley,porto and man city

6 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I understand that you like Slim a lot but this is 100% bollox mate lol 

Yes, I overstated that. Leicester played well of course, but you can't deny Liverpool didn't play like they should. And by the way, I like Slimani buy he is no where my favorite striker, not even my top 10 in the World, I just can't stand he is being wrongly slated and wrongly judged because he is way better than he has shown atm

18 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

@the fox

Yes Slimani should be tried in this high press team, alongside Vardy. However my only concern is when teams break through our high press and pass around it. In that scenario would Slimani track back to our own box, like Okazaki does?

If I remember correctly he always dropped back when he played along side vardy. He is much stronger and can actually put a decent tackle in. For me the biggest problem I have with oka is that he kills a lot of the counter attacks because he even 1-falls to the ground or 2- doesn't offload the ball fast enough to the wingers and slimani showed that he can do both of them.

7 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I love slim still think he is going to be unbelievable for us. However even as a massive fan I can conceeded that somewhere between the clubs poor form and his own niggly hamstring injury it hasn't quite clicked for him yet like I know it can.

Also people saying he is a sick note, he started every single leauge game in Portugal last season we are not dealing with Darren Eadie here. He just has a niggly muscle tissue tissue injury and anyone who has played the game at any level will have probably had a groin, hamstring or calf injury that won't shift before. He just needs a proper length of time off but because the team and vardy have been so poor he has been rushed back into first team action asap but hopfully now vardy has finally found a bit of form he can come back when he is fully healed and ease himself back into first team duties and we can really see the best of him.

Anyway that's just my two pennies as to why we shouldn't write him of yet Although I don't know why I'm bothering trying to come up with reasoned arguements and backing them up with facts because if you think Slimani is bollocks after watching the same games as me then you are either stupid or don't understand football. Either way there is probably no reasoning with you.

Now add up all the games Slimani could have played for us if he wasn't injured, at AFCON or wasn't picked for whatever reason and work out his goals and assists per minute for our £30m outlay.

I don't give a toss what he did in Portugal it's what he does here that counts and from where I sit it hasn't been a lot.

Granted he's in crowded company on that score but we're not talking about anyone else and I'm not excusing anyone else either.

AFCON commitments are bad enough but coming back injured is no use to us at all but it might indicate where his priorities lie...especially if the injury was troubling him before he went. I wonder how he'd feel if he'd laid out £30m for the same return. Or you. 

Time might change my mind about the bloke, and I hope it does, but given that I believe Ulloa could and probably would have notched 10-12 goals if he'd been playing I really don't see that we've gained much for what we've spent. And he's certainly not been an effective partner for Vardy.

Archived