Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Ulloa

22 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I guess Conte worked with him at Juve as well. I get them points but still strikes me as strange but then again if they only play with 1 striker unless Costa gets injured he wont play anyway.

It's tricky being a top team and having an out an out first choice - you then have to find an able replacement who is happy tget a few splinters...

2 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Claudio has made it pretty clear we aren't selling him. Plus why would we want to arm Swansea  (our genuine relegation rivals) with a striker that could help keep them up. Just rehashing an old story 

Because if they don't buy Ulloa it will be someone else, we're not cutting our own throats.

On the contrary Ulloa is surplus here especially if we start playing 4-5-1 like we did against Everton. if we can get a 30 year old reserve off the books with 18 months on his contract for a decent fee then that's good business.

6 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Claudio has made it pretty clear we aren't selling him. Plus why would we want to arm Swansea  (our genuine relegation rivals) with a striker that could help keep them up. Just rehashing an old story 

I would disagree with that comment. Things have picked up recently, and i never thought we were relegation candidates anyway..

1 minute ago, MPH said:

Did you see the man city game recently?

Yes, I also saw the Middlesborough and Everton (league) games after that. Let's be honest the Man City game was the exception rather than the rule this season. I really hope we can kick on but we are playing with such little attacking threat this season and to now lose Mahrez, I am not confident.

Hopefully Ndidi can add some spark in the middle and help turn things around.

19 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Yes, I also saw the Middlesborough and Everton (league) games after that. Let's be honest the Man City game was the exception rather than the rule this season. I really hope we can kick on but we are playing with such little attacking threat this season and to now lose Mahrez, I am not confident.

Hopefully Ndidi can add some spark in the middle and help turn things around.

Quite honestly the way Mahrez has been playing I'm not sure we'll even miss him. He's barely turned up at all this season, not creating much, not scoring much. Might give a chance to Gray and Musa to come in and impress.

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Quite honestly the way Mahrez has been playing I'm not sure we'll even miss him. He's barely turned up at all this season, not creating much, not scoring much. Might give a chance to Gray and Musa to come in and impress.

Agreed. Mahrez has been a passenger far too often this season and a luxury we can't afford at times. Would like to see Musa and Gray make the most of their opportunity this month

50 minutes ago, Babylon said:

To be fair, the player isn't at fault alone here. Other reasons why we haven't seen Mahrez so much this season:

a) the opposition usually double-up on him, much more than last season, trying to stifle his range and limiting his skills early on - here, his teammates ought to be more active and position themselves so they are ready and available to receive the ball

b) he's hardly ever swapping sides, which makes it even more prefictable - he needs more freedom to roam all areas up front

I think we'll soon see an improvement, with Ndidi now doing Kanté's job, allowing fore more fast breaks.

23 hours ago, Gerard said:

Because if they don't buy Ulloa it will be someone else, we're not cutting our own throats.

On the contrary Ulloa is surplus here especially if we start playing 4-5-1 like we did against Everton. if we can get a 30 year old reserve off the books with 18 months on his contract for a decent fee then that's good business.

Would you think it good business if he went to a rival and smashed in 12 goals over the remaining season, and we suffer a few injuries up top and have less strength in depth? Right now we have options, if we sell Leo and suffer an injury to one or two forwards then we'd look very silly. I wouldn't let him go this month without a replacement and that's unlikely to happen. I actually think he has something to offer us, at least from the bench. Maybe not as mobile as some of our options but he does well in the air at both ends of the pitch which is important at times. 

55 minutes ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

Would you think it good business if he went to a rival and smashed in 12 goals over the remaining season, and we suffer a few injuries up top and have less strength in depth? Right now we have options, if we sell Leo and suffer an injury to one or two forwards then we'd look very silly. I wouldn't let him go this month without a replacement and that's unlikely to happen. I actually think he has something to offer us, at least from the bench. Maybe not as mobile as some of our options but he does well in the air at both ends of the pitch which is important at times. 

We have five strikers. How many other clubs operate with five established strikers.

Ulloa is 30 with 18 months on his contract left and arguably could be 5th choice, if we always thought of the nightmare scenario we would need a squad of 40 players and would never have an efficient squad.

Even if we got rid of Ulloa and lost three of the other four strikers we could always play one up top and Mahrez or Gray as No 10 or attacking wide midfielders in a 4-5-1.

People were panicking on here about selling Ulloa or Schlupp in the summer but would we have missed them in the game time they've had? Short answer is no.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

We have five strikers. How many other clubs operate with five established strikers.

Ulloa is 30 with 18 months on his contract left and arguably could be 5th choice, if we always thought of the nightmare scenario we would need a squad of 40 players and would never have an efficient squad.

Even if we got rid of Ulloa and lost three of the other four strikers we could always play one up top and Mahrez or Gray as No 10 or attacking wide midfielders in a 4-5-1.

People were panicking on here about selling Ulloa or Schlupp in the summer but would we have missed them in the game time they've had? Short answer is no.

Fair points. 

On 11 January 2017 at 22:40, Gerard said:

Think that was before Slimani & Musa signed

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Think that was before Slimani & Musa signed

All the same if you have players who can't even guarantee they can get on the bench and they're mid 20's+ then sell them especially for a good offer.

I love Leo but if we get £20m for him and Schlupp then that's great business to thin out the squad and roll the dice on other signings who may become one of our best players in time.

You could argue:

Ulloa is 5th choice striker

Schlupp 3rd choice left back

Schlupp 6th choice left winger

We would need a real injury crisis to not be able to cover that.

Archived