Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

SEVILLA!

22 minutes ago, Koke said:

Has Amartey done enough to start ahead of Simpson at RB? 

He's not good enough attacking wise but perhaps he's good enough defensively to allow Mahrez/Gray to play on that side. 

Only other alternative is playing Amaratey as left back instead of Fuchs/Chilwell though thats unlikely to work either.

Hello all. I'm a city fan but have lived in Seville for 3 years. Naturally I'm pretty excited about the match, although probably not as much as I was when the draw was made in December, given that we've completely forgotten how to score, defend, pass or even run based on the performances I've seen this year. To state the obvious, if Leicester want to get anything from this tie. they have to step up much more than they have been doing and show some of the effort and determination they did last season.

However, I just wanted to give my insight into this Sevilla team and how I think the match will play out based on what I've seen from Sevilla this season. Firstly, while this might not surprise you, the Sevilla team are very, very confident about this game. I have a friend here who gives English lessons to some of the backroom staff and they've pretty much admitted that they see progressing to the next round as a near certainty. So if Leicester can show any of the determination they had last year, being as they are very much the underdog, they could potentially cause an upset, much like they did against Man City who clearly failed to prepare for the game against us in December.

Also, Sevilla have a tendency to always play the ball out from the back - the keeper's kicking is quite poor, so for every goal kick, he passes it short to one of the full backs who in turn play it forward. However, they will mess this up a lot of times as they aren't great on the ball, and several times in the game last night against Eibar the back line lost possession when pressured - Adil Rami is probably the main culprit. Despite these errors, they continue to do so as the keeper struggles to kick it to even the centre circle. This is why I think, should he play, Okasaki could be key. If he were to target Rami or one of the fullbacks when goal kicks or offside free kicks are taken, and pressurise the defence like we know he can do, I think City could force a number of errors from them and it's not inconceivable that we could get a goal here.

Sevilla's strengths, as I'm sure you're aware, lie with the forwards - Ben Yedder, Jovetic and Vitolo can all be pretty lethal at times. In my opinion though. I think Nzonzi in the middle is the key man. his vision and the way he sprays passes across the pitch is absolutely outstanding, and practically all Sevilla's attacks last night went through him first. I don't remember him being that good at Stoke, but since coming to Sevilla, he's been quality and has clearly stepped up a level. The City midfield therefore have to be on him, and assuming Ndidi is eligible, his task should be to stick on Nzonzi like glue. If Nzonzi's space is limited, I think Sevilla's attacking threat could be reduced.

This will all be mute though if City play the Fuchs/Morgan/Huth/Simpson back four and Vardy and Mahrez fail to turn up. This back line is clearly not up to the task anymore, and I personally would rather see Chilwell and either Amartey or Benalouane in place of Fuchs and Huth. Chilwell would be a far greater attacking threat, and I think Amartey and Benalouane are more comfortable on the ball, especially when they are given more space as tends to happen in the Spanish game. I doubt this will happen though, so I just desperately hope Vardy and Mahrez can get themselves motivated for this game in order to cancel out the defensive blunders we'll undoubtedly make. We'll really need them to be.

On the whole, I fully expect Sevilla to win and it could well be that I'm wrong about everything, but I'm hoping that my hunch is correct and Leicester could score here. We would at least then have an interesting tie, and some pride would be restored in time for the home tie. I also hope the people travelling enjoy themselves, it's an awesome city!

4 minutes ago, sharppegs said:

Hello all. I'm a city fan but have lived in Seville for 3 years. Naturally I'm pretty excited about the match, although probably not as much as I was when the draw was made in December, given that we've completely forgotten how to score, defend, pass or even run based on the performances I've seen this year. To state the obvious, if Leicester want to get anything from this tie. they have to step up much more than they have been doing and show some of the effort and determination they did last season.

However, I just wanted to give my insight into this Sevilla team and how I think the match will play out based on what I've seen from Sevilla this season. Firstly, while this might not surprise you, the Sevilla team are very, very confident about this game. I have a friend here who gives English lessons to some of the backroom staff and they've pretty much admitted that they see progressing to the next round as a near certainty. So if Leicester can show any of the determination they had last year, being as they are very much the underdog, they could potentially cause an upset, much like they did against Man City who clearly failed to prepare for the game against us in December.

Also, Sevilla have a tendency to always play the ball out from the back - the keeper's kicking is quite poor, so for every goal kick, he passes it short to one of the full backs who in turn play it forward. However, they will mess this up a lot of times as they aren't great on the ball, and several times in the game last night against Eibar the back line lost possession when pressured - Adil Rami is probably the main culprit. Despite these errors, they continue to do so as the keeper struggles to kick it to even the centre circle. This is why I think, should he play, Okasaki could be key. If he were to target Rami or one of the fullbacks when goal kicks or offside free kicks are taken, and pressurise the defence like we know he can do, I think City could force a number of errors from them and it's not inconceivable that we could get a goal here.

Sevilla's strengths, as I'm sure you're aware, lie with the forwards - Ben Yedder, Jovetic and Vitolo can all be pretty lethal at times. In my opinion though. I think Nzonzi in the middle is the key man. his vision and the way he sprays passes across the pitch is absolutely outstanding, and practically all Sevilla's attacks last night went through him first. I don't remember him being that good at Stoke, but since coming to Sevilla, he's been quality and has clearly stepped up a level. The City midfield therefore have to be on him, and assuming Ndidi is eligible, his task should be to stick on Nzonzi like glue. If Nzonzi's space is limited, I think Sevilla's attacking threat could be reduced.

That means we'd actually have to be aggressive and press Sevilla but that would entail us not playing a pathetically passive low block.

11 minutes ago, sharppegs said:

This will all be mute though if City play the Fuchs/Morgan/Huth/Simpson back four and Vardy and Mahrez fail to turn up. This back line is clearly not up to the task anymore, and I personally would rather see Chilwell and either Amartey or Benalouane in place of Fuchs and Huth. Chilwell would be a far greater attacking threat, and I think Amartey and Benalouane are more comfortable on the ball, especially when they are given more space as tends to happen in the Spanish game. I doubt this will happen though, so I just desperately hope Vardy and Mahrez can get themselves motivated for this game in order to cancel out the defensive blunders we'll undoubtedly make. We'll really need them to be.

On the whole, I fully expect Sevilla to win and it could well be that I'm wrong about everything, but I'm hoping that my hunch is correct and Leicester could score here. We would at least then have an interesting tie, and some pride would be restored in time for the home tie. I also hope the people travelling enjoy themselves, it's an awesome city!

Please forward this to [email protected] 

14 minutes ago, sharppegs said:

Wow, brilliant post! Please can you give Claudio a ring before Wednesday?

5 hours ago, sharppegs said:

Interesting post, many thanks. As an aside never appreciated the darker side to Sevilles support, 'Birris'. As an insider are we to expect the welcome given to Man City few years back and Juventus the other month!

11 minutes ago, char123 said:

call me sad and deluded all you like but im feeling quite confident about sevilla. god knows why after not missing a game home or away this season apart from swansea away and seeing what we have produced

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got a funny feeling that we're going to do well. Let's face it, we've been playing so shit it's bound to get better sooner or later. The players are gonna be so ****ing up for this game cos of the criticism they've had. Nothing feels better than proving people wrong.

Don't know where to start really, players who we were calling for to come in let themselves down badly yesterday and those who are first team mainstays have hardly achieved anything of note. 

I'd go with:

Schmeichel

Amartey  Morgan  Benalouane  Chilwell

Albrighton  King  Ndidi  Drinkwater  Gray

Vardy

Subs: Zieler, Simpson, Fuchs, Mahrez, Mendy, Slimani, Okazaki.

Harsh on Mahrez but I'd prefer to see Albrighton on the right to begin with and Gray on the left. Need to control that middle.

39 minutes ago, char123 said:

call me sad and deluded all you like but im feeling quite confident about sevilla. god knows why after not missing a game home or away this season apart from swansea away and seeing what we have produced

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sevilla are quality. They will play us off the park. I doubt even putting in 100% effort will stop Sevilla. 

Please  Claudio  

anyone  but the dynamic duo of  Huth and Morgan  

If they trot out  and  put on a comedy show  it could get ugly .

IMO id rather take a risk and  play  somone  else anyone  rather than revert to same old same old - but  ive a bad feeling  we may be in for  a few laughs as usual 

8 hours ago, sharppegs said:

Ighcn9.gif

It will be fine.

15 minutes ago, TK95 said:

I know there's like a 0.1% chance of this happening but just imagine the scenes if we take an early lead :yahoo:

One can dream...

No one thought we'd take an early lead away at Athletico Madrid all those years ago, but we did. 

The scenes up in the gods that night were incredible, and I hope all those lucky enough to be going to Seville witness something similar...

45 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Don't know where to start really, players who we were calling for to come in let themselves down badly yesterday and those who are first team mainstays have hardly achieved anything of note. 

I'd go with:

Schmeichel

Amartey  Morgan  Benalouane  Chilwell

Albrighton  King  Ndidi  Drinkwater  Gray

Vardy

Subs: Zieler, Simpson, Fuchs, Mahrez, Mendy, Slimani, Okazaki.

Harsh on Mahrez but I'd prefer to see Albrighton on the right to begin with and Gray on the left. Need to control that middle.

Agree with every single pick except Mahrez/Albrighton. Mahrez will be up for the game and do well. 

On 18/02/2017 at 20:35, Ashley said:

Why do I keep thinking to myself we will get a result out there? They've been dominated by Eibar so far then score to take a 1-0 lead. The players need to stand up and be counted.

Erm, that's how we won the league in the end

Archived