Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Was Jamie Vardy's straight red card vs. Stoke City deserved?

Not a red - on the floor when he reached the player and won the ball. Diouf rolling about holding his leg like he'd been shot didn't help and nor did the interference of the other player putting him off balance. On the sky sports video at half time

it even looked like one of the Stoke players went over to Vardy to say he shouldn't have been sent off! Never seen Ranieri so incensed either! I think they should appeal

as the video replays should support his case. 

17 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Fair enough. But what I'm saying is, it's been given, it's debatable from the fans point of view. But the panel/officials will rally around the ref and back his decision. No point appealing it IMO.

Id defiantly appeal.

they will only increase the ban if they think we had no grounds and I think they'll be able to see where we are coming from.

i just don't think in a month of Sunday's they will overturn it but surely nothing to lose, you'd like to think.

24 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

In real time I can understand why he gave it.  

With the benefit of replays and alternative views however it's easy to see why he got it wrong.  Hence the need for video replays in the game.

In fact watching it back on 4 occasions now it's clear the refs position is completely inadequate to make the correct judgement.  He was nowhere near keeping up with the run of play there.  He was totally static.  Shocking.  

This is absolutely bang on the money. I thought it was Vardy giving the ref an easy option when watched it in real time.  After viewing 3 or 4 it becomes a bad  decision by the ref.

Sad that it takes a bad ref to galvanise ous away from home though.

6 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He does end up going in two footed mate lol best timed tackle in the world you will still get blown up for it.

Does he even touch the player? It's a terrible decision, Craig Pawson is a **** and no one will be able to convince me otherwise lol 

That said all of the above helped to make the equaliser so special. Bruises everywhere.

I can understand the ref's error - and I think it was just about an error - because Vardy was being characteristically over-enthusiastic, but think the ref might have been wise to call the captain over after the King booking, and manage the game a bit better. You could argue that the Albrighton and Huth bookings, maybe even the Slimani booking (bearing in mind the guy doesn't speak good English, so dissent may be a tough call) were ones where a stern warning would have sufficed. But, even though it was a textbook case of poor game management by a ref, we take the bulk of the blame here for losing our cool.

But there's no defending his performance. I mean, he booked the wrong man for Stoke. That shouldn't happen if a ref's doing his job. And this sort of erratic decision-making is worse in English football than it has been in quite a while. Perhaps the problem has more to do with poor refs than with the lack of technology.

43 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Sadly I don't think this will get overturned, even though I don't think it should've been a red.

Sadly I agree  Jeff 

It has to be an obvious travesty to be overturned and, rather like the John moss photo with him pointing at him, scowling, the photo of him flying through the air, both feet a couple of feet off the ground is too incriminating IMO. the defender could argue that he couldn't compete for the ball fairly on the front foot  because he saw vardy flying into the challenge. I can argue it from both sides but the fact that it can be argued to be the correct decision at all means it won't be overturned. 

We should appeal and use whatever precedent we can find but I would be surprised if it were overturned. those who saw the aftermath - did he question it much or did he leave promptly! After last April, if he hung around to argue then an appeal might end up with the ban extended to four games! 

IMG_0494.PNG

IMG_0495.PNG

I will put my side of the argument to bed, Vardy is not pulled back, he is in a shoulder to shoulder battle with johnson, BOTH players are locking arms with one another and vardy loses the strength battle, causing him to lose balance (He is not pushed or pulled back) 

His reaction to this was to LUNGE when off balance, this is dangerous. 

He wins the ball, I did not once say he did not, It was not a red card, I did not once say the tackle was a red card. 

What I stated was that I can not attack the ref, as I could understand WHY he made that decision in the heat of the moment, from the angle he was at, it would not have been easy to see if the studs were up, vardy lunges heavily with both feet of the ground going initially toward the tackle, which looked dangerous first time I saw it. 

by the letter of the law, the referee was completely within his rights to send off a player who lunges into a challenge when off balance, regardless of whether you get the ball he was not in full control at the time he lunged. 

Diouf made a meal of it which I suspect further convinced the ref that vardy had been dangerous (thinking vardy had got the man as well as the ball, this is an important factor that led to his decision)

If Diouf stayed on his feet I doubt vardy would have seen red. 

It was an INCORRECT decision to send him off, I've said that many times. 

But I can see WHY he was sent off, the ref had a terrible game, and it was a genuine mistake that was easily made in the speed of the game, and I think it's time for some sort of tech system to correct decisions like this by experts similar to rugby, it only takes 30 seconds to correct a decision instead of sending someone off. 

My point was attacked by many people who could not accept that the ref does not have replays and hindsight, and could not accept that lunging in off balance could be perceived by someone as dangerous. 

If that was Diouf on Vardy, I can categorically guarantee our fans would be baying for blood for recklessness.

Even Ranieri said Post match to the BBC that he could maybe UNDERSTAND THE RED CARD. 

I don't see why me stating the rules of the game are so controversial, it would be all over this forum if it was against a city player. 

I won't be talking about it further, as apparently defending your position to members who are attacking it is a forum offence.

In a situation like today, vardys challenge could have gone horribly wrong, and it's that side of tackling we need to stamp out. 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Fair enough. But what I'm saying is, it's been given, it's debatable from the fans point of view. But the panel/officials will rally around the ref and back his decision. No point appealing it IMO.

There's not a vast amount to lose in trying. 

I always fear the worst when Vardy loses the ball inside our half and hares back in frustration. There was a similar one last season when he could have been sent off.

The laws don't say anything about jumping in with two feet - it's about excessive force. I really don't think that tackle used excessive. It's just a shame referees can't exercise a bit of caution with decisions like these. If Rojo got the benefit of the doubt then he should also book Vardy and give him a severe warning, but I suppose if it had been a Stoke player I'd probably have wanted him sent off.

12 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Jamie-Vardy2.jpg

Alternatively, this picture shows him winning the ball, with his toe, and that his studs definitely weren't up.

If he had just slid in like that then we could appeal - it's the two feet off the ground prior to this that's the issue. Pawson has no doubt been told to make sure next time he sees a player tackle with both feet off the ground he issues a red. no way will the FA now rescind and make a mockery of the rebuke he would have received after the palace performance. 

Just now, Fez of Mahrez said:

I always fear the worst when Vardy loses the ball inside our half and hares back in frustration. There was a similar one last season when he could have been sent off.

The laws don't say anything about jumping in with two feet - it's about excessive force. I really don't think that tackle used excessive. It's just a shame referees can't exercise a bit of caution with decisions like these. If Rojo got the benefit of the doubt then he should also book Vardy and give him a severe warning, but I suppose if it had been a Stoke player I'd probably have wanted him sent off.

See i don't think that should ever come into it, it's another game for another team. 

I saw people saying "Vardy shouldnt get sent off if Rojo didn't" 

That logic is completely flawed, what about next week when the same thing happens and other fans are saying "Rojo and vardy didnt get sent off so neither can x" 

Eventually it ends in a leg breaker. 

I'd like to see the FA fine referees for having poor consistency, but to see other members suggesting the ref was trying to balance the books by sending Vardy off is a pretty big claim with no evidence to back it. 

I think it's time for football to adopt rugby style "experts" to watch the replay back and feedback the ref if he is not 100% to save mistakes, every time there is a challenge like that, the tacklers fans want him to stay on, the tackled players fans want the player off, and the ref can never win, thats unnecessary pressure with todays technology.

Archived