Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Was Jamie Vardy's straight red card vs. Stoke City deserved?

3 minutes ago, Fez of Mahrez said:

I'd argue that Ibrahimovic challenge is more of a red than Vardy's.

And if the laws were up to me I'd definitely have Phil Jones sent off for that ridiculous reaction to the Rojo/Rondon thing. Prat.

Oh yeah Zlatan should have gone.

I'd be a bastard of a ref. I'd let loads of bad tackles go, but the moment some twat starts screaming at me because someone tickled someone's cheek over some stupid handbags argument I'd be whipping the reds out. Pathetic reaction.

4 hours ago, whitlock said:

So do we have the chance to appeal? Or can a red be rescinded to a yellow without going through the appeal process?

That is a standard yellow all day long. 

No need to appeal. If it's as clear cut as you are all saying it will be rescinded. Job done. No need to debate further.  If it's marginal then accept it as an honest decision by the ref. and agree Vardy was risking it in the modern game and move on. Not seen it yet but based on what you are saying I'll be outraged when I do...........

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I'm not talking about Sunday morning stuff I'm talking about the reality of knowing what it's like to face a genuinely dangerous tackle -  you get them on a Sunday morning and you get them on a Saturday afternoon in the top flight. This just wasn't dangerous.

The referee's responsibility should be to prevent harm (or potential harm) to players, not enforce rules arbitrarily because of the number of feet involved.

Thats the point though mate. 

They attempt to play it to the very letter of the law top flight these days.

10 years ago that'd be a yellow, 20 not even that.

See this is the state of football at the moment, on the one hand there's an argument over whether zlatan absolutely clattering a defender deliberately deserves a red card or not, then there's the question over whether vardy who won the ball cleanly barely even making contact with the defender deserves a red. It's just ridiculous!

The whole problem with this as i see it

Youve got Matt Elliott on the radio. After the game he says no question its a straight red. Then youve got Alan Curbishley on match choice on sky, he says its a straight red, Vardy is out of control, left the ground etc.

But then youve got Danny Murphy on match of the day saying the decision is harsh and that he was unlucky to be sent off.

Youve then got a handball. Charle Nicholas on soccer saturday straight away says stonewaller. Has no doubt whatsoever. Radio Leicester say penalty. no doubts. Then Jermaine Jenas comes on match of the day and says he thinks the penalty was a little but dubious and possibly harsh.

You come on the forum here, the majority naturally think its not a red card for the tackle, many because we are Leicester fans of course, but many generally dont think its a red for the the tackle. Yet some, even though Leicester fans and biased, still think it is a red card.

The point is, there isnt much point in debating the performance of a referee, when no one can even agree on what the laws are.

The laws are all open to interpretation, to the extent that any decision can be wrong, and right. You could legitimately argue Vardy should, and should not have been sent off, and use whatever argument you want to back that up. And if you were the referee giving either of these decisions, youd be right on both counts.

And im not sure video technology will be the be all and end all cure either. Its still the interpretation of the guy watching the video at the end of the day.

Just make the laws clearer. Take the interpretation away. Or at least reduce it.

Whether a red is justified is the difference between what the referee thought had happened compared to what actually happended - and you can appeal that.

The referee saw a lunging tackle with 2 feet in the air and a Stoke player being caught

What actually happened was that in attempting to put in a challenge for the ball Vardy was knocked off balance by Johnson at a critical moment making him fall to the left at an angle both his feet looked like they might connect but a) he made contact with the ball b) it was one foot, c) that foot was studs down

In this case actuality can really only be determined by proper analysis of the video evidence what the referee thought happened becomes irrelevant

Once this is done I'd expect Vardy's red card be rescinded - any other decision would be political not factual

Vardy starts against Everton

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Hope cityfanlee and drygon got to watch motd. Even more experts who disagree with their pawson defence. Never a red.

I did see it, does not convince me any further for the reasons I gave earlier. 

Get off your high horse, as the poster above said, by the letter of the law it can be interpreted. 

I thought it was uncontrolled and dangerous to lunge into a tackle when you're off balance, any right minded person would see that as dangerous. 

When you're off balance you are not in complete control, lunging is irresponsible. 

Red was the wrong decision in hindsight but i can see why the red was given. 

EVEN YOUR OWN MANAGER SAYS HE CAN SEE WHY IT WAS GIVEN, But hey you'd rather ignore the fact ranieri admitted he could see why in order to back your OPINION, which is essentially what this is. 

It's done, I'm bored. I said I would not comment but I still have idiots trying to bang on about my opinion on it. 

Get over it and move on, you won't change my opinion, it was uncontrolled. 

some say he was falling, some say he was pushed, some say he was pulled back, either way he should not have lunged when off balance, it's a leg breaker if you **** it up. 

Hindsight is irrelevant when the decision is made. 

I will not be posting any more as I already said I would not discuss the vardy card any further as apparantely I am the one that cant drop it yet people keep commenting my name. 

Archived