Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Was Jamie Vardy's straight red card vs. Stoke City deserved?

Chris Kamara says not a red card, he slowed it down and it clearly shows Johnson has wrapped his arm around  Vardys right arm then pushes Vardy sideways.

As he is pushed sideways Vardy own left leg hits the back of his right leg meaning he can't plant his feet on the floor, which means both of his feet are in the air when he goes to win the ball.

Diouf one of the biggest cheats in the game starts hitting the ground like he's been shot.

6 minutes ago, dayday said:

Chris Kamara says not a red card, he slowed it down and it clearly shows Johnson has wrapped his arm around  Vardys right arm then pushes Vardy sideways.

As he is pushed sideways Vardy own left leg hits the back of his right leg meaning he can't plant his feet on the floor, which means both of his feet are in the air when he goes to win the ball.

Diouf one of the biggest cheats in the game starts hitting the ground like he's been shot.

FA will argue that he should have pulled out of the challenge if he had lost control of his movement. Just can't see them overturning it. Hope I'm wrong but I will be shocked if i am

3 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Methinks the gentleman protesteth a tad too much - you're now defending the indefensible just to prove you were justified. This is a sly attempt to admit you're wrong without losing face, but to belittle those fans who have every right to be aggrieved at an exaggerated response from Pawson - and have rightly taken you (and the twerp who started the witch-hunt) to task for an action that the photographic evidence shows was vigorous but not malicious or reckless. You can call us "idiots" or tell us we're not "right-minded" for responding to your, at best, flawed assertions, with vigour, but that just gives us laissez-faire to respond in like manner. And you are, in spite of your disingenuous declarations, still wanting the last word.

Pawson, in the circumstances, if his view was obstructed, can be given the benefit of the doubt. However he made a judgment which, in hindsight, was mistaken and now deserves expunging from the records. Hindsight is the only basis any of us ever have for reinterpreting and ameliorating wrong decisions and questionable rules - so don't call it irrelevant, eh.

I don't get the "EVEN YOUR OWN MANAGER..." bit - are you not a Leicester cityfanlee 23?

Now the toothless old men at the FA - who are beneath contempt because of failing to deal with far more significant and serious damage committed beneath their umbrella of influence will pontificate about this and expect the footballing commmunity to respect their non-decision to rescind Vardy's red. To be able to admit that a mistake has been made and rectify it is a sign of wisdom and humility. Not much of that at Lancaster Gate. Old farts getting paid a pretty penny to preserve a deeply flawed and powerless organisation.

Calm down a bit.

11 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Also shows what happens to your arm when you go to ground... Simpson's arm doesn't seem that unnatural now. 

Agreed in any instance like that especially being pulled back your legs come in a upwards motion if you get what I'm saying, he's gone to tackle but without the pull back from Johnson it wouldn't of been a red.

Good point about 4th game being FA Cup, but I'd like us to win one of those before I die. Personally I don't think an appeal would overturn the decision, it's too close to call and, as a few have said, they will side with the tw@ of a referee we were unfortunate enough to get for this game.

Pawson made a howler not red carding Rojo and was desperate to make amends, I really hope it was the push from Johnson that unbalanced Jamie and the red is rescinded . I am sure Claudio would have discussed the fact pre match that Pawson would be quick to red card any such type of challenge. Rojo was guilty of 2 leg breakers, yes 2 against Palace and Everton but it is not us who should pay for that.

I understand why it was given.

It was because because Pawson was like a rabbit in the headlights after his previous monumental cock ups. He was too scared not to give it.

Vardy does put himself at risk with the way he dives in at times but I infinitely prefer this Vardy than the one that just jogs around rather than being a nasty irritant to any defender who thinks he's going to get time on the ball.

Without wanting to state the obvious, the strangest thing for me is how dramatically this has divided opinion. People are either adamant that it WAS a red card and others are adamant that it WASN'T. There's not really a middle-ground argument and anyone who has the middle-ground argument is shot down. Based on this, do you not think we could have some sympathy for Craig Pawson? (Dare I even suggest that!?)

My biggest complaint was the speed in which the ref made the decision. He didn't seem to consider the many aspects surrounding the challenge. Like many have said, he seemed too keen to make up for his poor decision midweek. 

Craig Pawson was wrong to send Jamie Vardy off - but he should have been taken off the game 

KEITH HACKETT

18 DECEMBER 2016 • 5:18PM

The first thing to say about Craig Pawson’s mistakes in Leicester City’s game at Stoke is that he should not have been in a position to make them. Craig had too much baggage going into that match after his performance three days earlier in the Crystal Palace-Manchester United fixture, when he made five clear cut errors, and should have been stood down by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

It was one thing to give him a game, quite another to allow him to referee such a challenging fixture so soon after one of the worst performances by an official this season. Stoke versus Leicester was clearly going to be physical by the very nature of the pace at which those two teams play and their tendency at times to adopt a long ball.

At times there’s no rhyme nor reason given to which referee is appointed to which game and the question now is whether the PGMOL are going to compound their mistake by insisting Pawson still takes charge of the Liverpool-Manchester City match on New Year’s Eve.

If there is one iota of common sense, he should be taken off it. When I was in charge of the PGMOL some people used to say to me, ‘Why are you dropping these guys?’ Well I never dropped them. I was operating a duty of care. If you have a very bad game and then have another soon after, your reputation becomes tarnished.

We’ve all suffered as referees and had our poor or indifferent performances so it’s vital there is a support mechanism in place to help that referee to recover as soon as possible, to learn from his mistakes and to improve. Preparation is absolutely paramount but Craig probably spent the next day after Palace thinking, ‘How the hell do I get over that?’ while also recovering physically and then the following day he’s in the car on the way to Stoke. But at the same time there has to be accountability and I don’t think the PGMOL are operating any form of accountability at the moment. If there was, Craig would not have been officiating at Stoke.

Craig Pawson sent off Jamie Vardy in the first half of Leicester's 2-2 draw at Stoke CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES 

I think his decision to send off Jamie Vardy was influenced by his failure to dismiss Marcos Rojo for a two-footed challenge on Wilfried Zaha during that Palace-United match. It wasn’t a red card. Yes, Vardy had his feet off the ground but there was no malice in that challenge and the outcome was affected by him being impeded by his opponent.

He was knocked off balance by Glen Johnson and that resulted in him raising the legs and at the impact point there was no base of the boot showing. I wouldn’t have even given it as a yellow card. Similarly, with the penalty award for handball against Leicester, Danny Simpson’s arm was not in an unnatural position, it was a direct consequence of his sliding movement. The problem is Craig was carrying baggage and then he’s got a lack of confidence, a lack of concentration and out of that comes a lack of control.

I thought last season and even at the beginning of this one he looked lethargic. He’s got a big stride pattern because he’s a biggish guy but I thought his movement around the field was improving. But at Stoke he was lost at the races. He should have been in Derbyshire with me having a walk or at the very most refereeing a game in the Football League without the level of scrutiny and pressure the Premier League brings.

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Purple farewell dates in November... 

Ian Paice and Purpendicular playing Minehead Giants of Rock......................Already Booked

Butlins Live Music Weekends - Giants of Rock

Just to keep it in context............................. Think the ref was making up for his error with Man Utd

Shouldn't have been a Pen either............ Great fightback and loved Amartey Celebration it was up there with Shinji's

Ref really wants the Liverpool, Man City gig

Apparently we are appealing

our case has to be that the two feet are off the ground due to the push and consequential self trip - Vardy had to adjust his feet mid air which made it look like it was two footed. No intention to be such. I fear their argument will be that he should have pulled out once he wasn't in control because of the push. That way he takes care of the safety of the other player.

22 hours ago, st albans fox said:

FA will argue that he should have pulled out of the challenge if he had lost control of his movement. Just can't see them overturning it. Hope I'm wrong but I will be shocked if i am

Yeah that's what I think they'll say. I think he's made his decision to go in and by the time it would of become obvious to him that he was off balance he was well past the point of no return so a none argument for me but sure that's what they'll say. Either that or they will just say it's two feet which I guess it is in fairness to them but blatantly not intentional 

Do we know if we are going for an appeal yet? Surely got to be at least worth a go.

In the heat of the moment could see why the ref gave it as a red, if I was a ref and that was a Stoke player he would have walked too. They don't have video playback to run through and have to act instinctively, upon reflection yeah I don't think it's a red but with around 30 thousand fans calling for him to go it's understandable he made that judgement call.

For the penalty? No complaints, seen them given, seen them not. Just unlucky with that decision, is it a natural arm movement? Couldn't tell you honestly, I would have thought the natural thing would be to cover the face or cushion the fall.. not flail arm over the head.

Yeah he made mistakes but let's not hound the guy, they were honest mistakes and given an opportunity he would probably change his view. Aside from the fact I've heard many people who disagree on both arguments so let's just say the sport is not black and white but grey areas do exist and this is why we have platforms to debate this.

Archived