Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Was Jamie Vardy's straight red card vs. Stoke City deserved?

3 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

2 feet left the ground for a tackle whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant,same as Matt Mills a few years ago against Birmingham I think.you can't go in for tackles like that anymore and everybody knows it,if it was a stoke player on one of ours you would want a red and anyone saying other wise is lying. 

The Matt Mills tackle you reference was totally different. The ball was taken at the player's feet so there was more chance of injury, not to mention the fact that Mills' feet were still shin-height when he got the ball. That's exactly the sort of tackle that should be looking to outlaw - it's the sort of tackle which has the potential to hurt somebody and for that reason it's a red card. I'm on record (on here) as saying the same thing at the time.

Vardy's tackle gets the ball a good foot in front of Diouf. It's not dangerous, I'm not totally sure it's a foul. Who's endangered once his weight hits the ground?

14 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Exactly and we're suffering for his incompetence.

Vardy's tackle isn't dangerous as soon as he gets the ball (a good foot in front of Diouf). At that point his weight is transferred into the turf rather than the recipient of the tackle. 

Im not totally sure it's a foul.

It's a foul then minute you go in with two feet. You can be 3 foot away from the player it's an automatic illegal tackle, especially when, admittedly through little fault of his own, he's not in control of the tackle.

you can analyse till the cows come home, for me it's not a red as the fact he is arguably being fouled himself at the time is the primary reason the technique of the tackle is horrendous, and he was some way away from actually causing any damage. But when all is said is done what was said by Howard Webb and what will probably be said in around an hours time by Alan shearer will determine whether our Craig has had a nightmare of pulled out one of the officiating performances of the season, such is modern football.

the sad thing is you go down five leagues he'd be unfortunate to get a ticking off that's what really annoys me. Lost count of The amount of reds I see and have to start any judgement with the phrase "well, modern day". It's like now a players legs are worth 10 million each you can't take any risks when playing the ball.

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It's a foul then minute you go in with two feet. You can be 3 foot away from the player it's an automatic illegal tackle, especially when, admittedly through little fault of his own, he's not in control of the tackle.

you can analyse till the cows come home, for me it's not a red as the fact he is arguably being fouled himself at the time is the primary reason the technique of the tackle is horrendous, and he was some way away from actually causing any damage. But when all is said is done what was said by Howard Webb and what will probably be said in around an hours time by Alan shearer will determine whether our Craig has had a nightmare of pulled out one of the officiating performances of the season, such is modern football.

the sad thing is you go down five leagues he'd be unfortunate to get a ticking off that's what really annoys me. Lost count of The amount of reds I see and have to start any judgement with the phrase "well, modern day". It's like now a players legs are worth 10 million each you can't take any risks when playing the ball.

Thing is I'm sure I see people go in "with 2 feet" every other game. I feel a tit standing up and shouting at the ref for it when seemingly nobody around me seems to care and this wasn't any different.

"Going in with 2 feet" is totally different to endangering an opponent and it's ridiculous that PGMOL don't seem to be able to distinguish between the two.

(Happily noting that you don't necessarily disagree with me).

Any 1 who says its a red are about has clueless has the ref for 1 he gets pushed for 2 his studs aint showing and really when u look at it his feet or hardly off the ground and for 3 he wins the ball i honestly dont even think its a foul he dont send rojo off for something 100 time's worse then sends vardy off for that 

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Their player (Diouf?) should get a ban for simulation. 

From those replays, it looks like Vardy probably didn't even touch him, yet he was rolling around "in agony", then lying there holding his leg.

If he hadn't done that, would the ref have reached for his red card?

Funnily enough, Diouf got back up rather quickly and didn't need treatment on the sidelines, neither. Jumped around on the pitch like a spring chicken straight afterwards.

Coincidence?

18 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Thing is I'm sure I see people go in "with 2 feet" every other game. I feel a tit standing up and shouting at the ref for it when seemingly nobody around me seems to care and this wasn't any different.

"Going in with 2 feet" is totally different to endangering an opponent and it's ridiculous that PGMOL don't seem to be able to distinguish between the two.

(Happily noting that you don't necessarily disagree with me).

Your arguing consistency though which is a nightmare with any decision as football is horrible to officiate, the be all and end all of this particular decision is a decision on a two footed challenge so it's at least a foul and by definition at least a yellow.

i don't disagree with you on the whole no not a red for me. I just don't think it's quite as simple a decision as some make out even if I do think he is incorrect.

as I've already said and you've also asserted, he got panned on Wednesday for the rojo decision, and to be fair to him he's doing alright media wise with this one, Ian stringer, Jeff stelling, and Howard Webb have all green lighted it, he's going to get media favour with the Simpson handball, it's all good us asking "WHEN ARE THESE SHIT REFS GOING TO GET PUNISHED" reality is he's probably going to get some serious plaudits for that performance if he picks up a few more favourable media comments.

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Your arguing consistency though which is a nightmare with any decision as football is horrible to officiate, the be all and end all of this particular decision is a decision on a two footed challenge so it's at least a foul and by definition at least a yellow.

i don't disagree with you on the whole no not a red for me. I just don't think it's quite as simple a decision as some make out even if I do think he is incorrect.

as I've already said and you've also asserted, he got panned on Wednesday for the rojo decision, and to be fair to him he's doing alright media wise with this one, Ian stringer, Jeff stelling, and Howard Webb have all green lighted it, he's going to get media favour with the Simpson handball, it's all good us asking "WHEN ARE THESE SHIT REFS GOING TO GET PUNISHED" reality is he's probably going to get some serious plaudits for that performance if he picks up a few more favourable media comments.

Spot on, unfortunately. This is about right.

I think the ref based the red card on the shitheads reaction, rolling around on the floor like he'd been shot.

Any idiot reviewing the footage would say no red card.

The idiots at the FA will uphold it though, count on it.

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Never a red.

IMG_20161217_222526.jpg

As soon as the tackler's legs hit the ground the danger of injury to the tacklee is largely gone. At that stage the weight of the tackle is transferred into the floor rather than Diouf's leg and at that stage Vardy is no longer not in control of his body weight.

It's not a red card - where I disagree with MP is that I don't think it's a difficult decision. I think if you've played football and you understand the nature of how people get injured from bad tackles that's not a red card.

It is not a red card. Vardy is not off the floor with a two footed challenge with his studs showing. There are so called football people such as Alan Curbishley saying its a red card when it is blatantly not. 

Game me of opinions but.... It is NOT a red card

What an absolute bollox of a decision that was!

the game was trundling along nicely up until that point.  The lads started with some intensity for once. Probably because of all the flack we've been giving them of late.  Vardy was chasing balls and applying pressure on the defenders from the get go just like we want him to.  In this instance he was 1-on-1 in a foot race subsequently getting arm hooked and literally lifted off the ground at speed.

Now I'm not sure how many of us can think that fast let alone jump out of the way of the guy standing there like a bloody lemon.  Maybe he should have got out of the way.  Vardy to his credit still strived to make contact with the ball NOT the defender.  He actually gets the ball but his sheer momentum trips the static fool over.  The speed at which the ref pulled out the red card leads us to believe he was 110% certain that was a blatant two footed lunge.  What he should have done is taken a breath, think it over and consult his 4th official.  Had he done that than a yellow card would have appeased everyone.  The game moves on.  Instead his rash decision ruined the game almost beyond repair.  Thank god that happened in the first half and not the 2nd half.  Ref will be suspended next game.  If there is any justice I hope we get vardy back next game.  

Danny Murphy, who normally struggles to praise Leicester, has just summed it up perfectly. Vardy knocked off balance, which tips his body and means he leaves the ground. But he actually isn't off the ground when he makes the tackle. He also leads with one foot, not two. It's a good tackle.

13 minutes ago, ttfn said:

As soon as the tackler's legs hit the ground the danger of injury to the tacklee is largely gone. At that stage the weight of the tackle is transferred into the floor rather than Diouf's leg and at that stage Vardy is no longer not in control of his body weight.

It's not a red card - where I disagree with MP is that I don't think it's a difficult decision. I think if you've played football and you understand the nature of how people get injured from bad tackles that's not a red card.

You can't really bring "playing football into it"

if if I do that tomorrow morning I won't see yellow for it.  As I've already said it's a change of attitude towards top level football in the last ten years.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Danny Murphy, who normally struggles to praise Leicester, has just summed it up perfectly. Vardy knocked off balance, which tips his body and means he leaves the ground. But he actually isn't off the ground when he makes the tackle. He also leads with one foot, not two. It's a good tackle.

And also not with the studs, he takes the ball with the top of his boot.

Its just not dangerous enough to be a red card; I'm not sure it's dangerous enough to be a yellow.

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Christ fair play motd and Danny mills of all people.

Murphy.

Mills would have called for a life ban for Vardy and Leicester's demotion to the bottom tier of the football pyramid.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

It's not a good tackle lol

youve conviently left out the " I expected yellow" part.

and that's what it should of been

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It's not a good tackle lol

youve conviently left out the " I expected yellow" part.

and that's what it should of been

He said it was a good tackle, I'm quoting him!

EDIT: Sorry he said "decent" I misquoted. The sentiment was there though.

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You can't really bring "playing football into it"

if if I do that tomorrow morning I won't see yellow for it.  As I've already said it's a change of attitude towards top level football in the last ten years.

I'm not talking about Sunday morning stuff I'm talking about the reality of knowing what it's like to face a genuinely dangerous tackle -  you get them on a Sunday morning and you get them on a Saturday afternoon in the top flight. This just wasn't dangerous.

The referee's responsibility should be to prevent harm (or potential harm) to players, not enforce rules arbitrarily because of the number of feet involved.

Archived