Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hernandez

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

2 million euros. Despite the small profit (if we made any at all) - major **** up by our scouting department.

"Hey let's get this defender who has done really great things in Spain playing in a possession-based system and with great passing stats, and play him as back-up to our RB in a team where making more than two ground passes before hoofing up the pitch is not allowed". 

I'd imagine he was signed more on his interception stats which were very high.

12 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Do you really think all these and last signings are all down to Walsh?

Do you not realise we have a global network of scouts and the recommendations that come from those reports are assessed by a number of internal sources including scouts chief scout management coaches and DOF. All this ...he's a Walsh signing is total rubbish. The chances of a player being found by Walsh and scouted by him and recommended to the manager are Zero.

It does not work like that just because signings were made while he was here does not mean he recommends everyone of them it's a decision reached between a big number of people and the manager then tells them who he wants and the club then try's to bring in the player.

Yes he may have been in charge of the scouts but it don't mean he found all the players or even recommended them. One or two yes but not every one!

I find it bonkers how this question keeps on coming up on if it was a Walsh signing or not the second a player is not a world beater.

He's authorised the signing of some absolute stunners for us and a few dud fireworks as well, I think its a simple as that.

He was employed at Leicester as "Head of recruitment". Surely that means he involved in every single one good or bad, even the punts! Although a ragbag Sun article from way back, its an interesting to read his take on the Championship side. He even uses words like "Gamble", "People though I was Mad at the time", but one things for sure, he uses the word "I" a lot, which I read as head of recruitment, he sanctioned them, every single one expect Schmeichel, as he wasn't there at the time.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1924932/leicester-citys-former-head-of-recruitment-steve-walsh-has-revealed-how-he-created-the-foxes-famous-title-winning-side/

My 1p on Hernandez is he's neither been horrendous or great. Some vital contributions at times and also the odd howler, but was possibly only ever seen as backup and as freebie basically carried zero risk. He will not be remembered in years to come so basically dis a job in his time here.  

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah, but I think his coolness on the ball would have helped towards his signing. I thought that he was a great signing at the time because he would be a viable option if our low possession game didn't work anymore, but it seems like we're still trying to make it work. Sucks he wasn't given a proper go at CB. 

9 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Amartey to cover at RB? Not comfortable him being our third choice CB... Need to sign a CB.

I think it would be a good idea to sign an actual RB for cover, unless Simpson has some clause in his contract that wont allow it. Since last year, we've had Amartey, Benalouane, Hernandez and even Wasyl play in that position, and all of them are shit there. 

I've just set a reminder in my calendar for January 20th 2030 to remember Luis Hernandez just to prove many of you wrong, he will be remembered. 

I really don't think he was rubbish.

During the Hull game I thought he looked quite comfortable on the ball and I actually thought here we go, another gem, but it never happened.

He was never going to have the defence built around him. 

Wrong time, wrong place. 

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Terrible mistake. You've applied logic to LCFC recruitment strategy.

12 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well the mystery man is hopefully a right back then!

Or we're going with Simpson and Amartey as cover - like last season.

19 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Yeah, but I think his coolness on the ball would have helped towards his signing. I thought that he was a great signing at the time because he would be a viable option if our low possession game didn't work anymore, but it seems like we're still trying to make it work. Sucks he wasn't given a proper go at CB. 

Didn't think he'd ever displace Morgan and Huth, I don't think either have been sufficiently bad enough to really be replaced this year with someone who's likely to be not much better to be fair.

We're now paying for keeping lots of bit part players to cover us because of the extra CL games. Too many frustrated players hanging about. All signings from now on should be significant improvements on what we have. There is enough "filler" in the squad.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Nobody really knows what our setup is like now, under Pearson and Walsh they were very close and the trust was there. We were very open about the process, of how the process narrowed things down behind the scenes, with the scouts and analytics creating a bunch of anmes. You then end up with a short list who get watched by SW. 

With Ranieri, we know the trust wasn't there to start with as he wanted Mendy instead of Kante. From what I remember we only went back for the latter after having a bid rejected on Mendy. John Percy wrote the article about Kapustka, stating we'd never watched him live. You only write that if it's something that goes against the grain of how we usually do business.

The way you write it is how you'd like it to work, but Ranieri was the wild card in the mix and the club will back the managers decision. If he wants Benny, he might ask their opinion but ultimately it's his decision as the manager.

Exactly, i'm not claiming to know how we now operate as all personnel has changed in recent times other than Rudkin. 

Just saying that if we no longer follow that model strictly then it'll be no surprise to see a strange mixture of players coming in with varying styles. It's not rocket science that all players should fit a certainly philosophy in terms of attributes and characteristics that are important to a team. 

If we don't have the agreement between the key decision makers then we'll end up with all sorts with no kind of pattern. If the recruitment continues to be as hit and miss as it has recently then you'd think that may be happening.. 

And yes fully agree of Kaputska which is so worrying.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Is the problem we're basing too much on stats?

They're a useful guide but I don't believe our scouts have actually gone to watch these players. They can't have.

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Is the problem we're basing too much on stats?

They're a useful guide but I don't believe our scouts have actually gone to watch these players. They can't have.

You have to start somewhere and the starting point is stats, or scouting reports from people watching random games. I doubt people are signed based entirely on stats, or at least they weren't. How the new setup works I have no idea, but the old system we got spelled out to us step by step with the scouting guides.

Hernandez was said to have played very well by quite a few journos who watched that league. It's not hard to imagine we watched him play well. But it's different setups, different countries, different teams etc. Sometimes people will translate across, sometimes they won't.

It's unlikely he was going to replace one of the current starters as we were champions anyway.

1 hour ago, Danny Clender said:

I've just set a reminder in my calendar for January 20th 2030 to remember Luis Hernandez just to prove many of you wrong, he will be remembered. 

I really don't think he was rubbish.

During the Hull game I thought he looked quite comfortable on the ball and I actually thought here we go, another gem, but it never happened.

He was never going to have the defence built around him. 

Wrong time, wrong place. 

I agree that he will obviously do well again in Spain but to say you thought we had found a gem after his performance at Hull just shows how football divides opinions, I thought he was as horrendous and the amount of times he positioned himself on the wrong side of the attacked and was then skinned easily scared the shit out of me.

Made a nice 2m on him which will be good business if we wrap up a deal for someone better.

21 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I agree that he will obviously do well again in Spain but to say you thought we had found a gem after his performance at Hull just shows how football divides opinions, I thought he was as horrendous and the amount of times he positioned himself on the wrong side of the attacked and was then skinned easily scared the shit out of me.

Made a nice 2m on him which will be good business if we wrap up a deal for someone better.

I really was going to be specific about the moment I thought he could be a gem. But I thought I'd leave it out, not put him down.

It was actually within the first 10 or 15 minutes of the game, after that it went wayward (horrendous), but there was a moment he had a nice little canter with the ball out of defence, and that's when I thought "potential gem". 

He will be much more comfortable in Spain.

Joya, I believe will be the word again. 

Archived