Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gaston Ramirez

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I'll ask again. Why did he not last at Southampton?

I'm assuming injuries and his bad temper in his early twenties didn't help him. His first season at Southampton he was fine but something made him stall there. There's no doubting his ability but it's whether our current manager and predicament is the right platform for him. I'd rather we took a gamble on Ben Arfa but failing that I'd have him if the alternative is sticking with what we've got.

6 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Southampton signed him from Bologna for 12m as a 21-year-old though. 1st season 26 games 5 goals 2nd season 22 games 3 goals then fell out of favour

They say he drifts on and out of games and lacks end product.  At 26 I hope he has reached his potential and will deliver for us.

9 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I'll ask again. Why did he not last at Southampton?

Dunno. If you're after real consistency in a quality player, then you're gonna have to pay more than the money we're being quoted for Ramirez. 

You're looking at the Gylfi Sigurdsson's of this world. They are upwards of £30m, I'm afraid, in today's crazy market. 

And before someone pipes up with "Mahrez...Kante...rough diamond etc" this is the exception not the rule. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm assuming injuries and his bad temper in his early twenties didn't help him. His first season at Southampton he was fine but something made him stall there. There's no doubting his ability but it's whether our current manager and predicament is the right platform for him. I'd rather we took a gamble on Ben Arfa but failing that I'd have him if the alternative is sticking with what we've got.

If we had bid £12m for Ben Arfa after his Newcastle and Hull stints this would place would erupt but now we'd all have him in our side. 

I'm hoping it's the same for Gaston. 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

If we had bid £12m for Ben Arfa after his Newcastle and Hull stints this would place would erupt but now we'd all have him in our side. 

I'm hoping it's the same for Gaston. 

I wouldn't have Ben Arfa for 12m.

Cracking season last year but there's plenty of very good reasons why he doesn't get a look in at PSG.

Just now, AKCJ said:

I wouldn't have Ben Arfa for 12m.

Cracking season last year but there's plenty of very good reasons why he doesn't get a look in at PSG.

One of them being PSG got fantastic players and he isn't to their level? 

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

you could ask that about most of our squad that were cast offs. Don't think he should be written off because he didn't make it at Southampton.

I hate this argument.

Those players didn't cost £15m. We didn't pay £15m for Villa and Stoke rejects.

Not really sure what to make of this signing, it doesn't excite me so much as you never really hear of him tearing the league up.. but that could just be he does a decent job. That said the lack of activity has me concerned so I'm happy at the very least we appear to be doing business.

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I meant in general us sticking to 433 for a bit, general feeling seemed to be another man in the middle would give us that extra solidity. I don't understand why we didn't give it a real chance, by changing it around too much it's caused confusion and players not knowing where they are meant to be.

Agree. Really odd we've not gone with this since. The diamond is horrible. Understand strikers sometimes get a little isolated with this system but if we've got pace on the wings with Gray/Musa/Mahrez, shouldn't be a problem.

7 minutes ago, Koke said:

One of them being PSG got fantastic players and he isn't to their level? 

Lucas Moura is currently keeping him out of the team and Boro apparently want to take him on loan.

His attitude just isn't good enough. He's got all the ability in the world but he just can't be arsed.

Fair play to him for getting it together at Nice but Nice is like some sort of Rehab for big headed footballers (look at Belhanda and Balotelli this season).

1 minute ago, Libertine said:

Agree. Really odd we've not gone with this since. The diamond is horrible. Understand strikers sometimes get a little isolated with this system but if we've got pace on the wings with Gray/Musa/Mahrez, shouldn't be a problem.

The obvious seems something like this (more the setup than the individuals)

Against the top teams:

DD    Mendy    Ndidi

Mahrez..............................Gray

Vardy

Against the lower teams:

DD............Ndidi

Mahrez........Ramirez..........Gray

Slimani

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The obvious seems something like this (more the setup than the individuals)

Against the top teams:

DD    Mendy    Ndidi

Mahrez..............................Gray

Vardy

Against the lower teams:

DD............Ndidi

Mahrez........Ramirez..........Gray

Slimani

It's all about options and having the right players for 2/3 different options

:D  :thumbup:

20 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Dunno. If you're after real consistency in a quality player, then you're gonna have to pay more than the money we're being quoted for Ramirez. 

You're looking at the Gylfi Sigurdsson's of this world. They are upwards of £30m, I'm afraid, in today's crazy market. 

And before someone pipes up with "Mahrez...Kante...rough diamond etc" this is the exception not the rule. 

The thing is we wasted £30m on Slimani, £16m on Musa.

A bit galling if we're now going for players considered not good enough for teams we were so much better than last season.

Ramirez might be alright but a) I don't think he's necessarily the sort of player we're desperate for and b) it doesn't really say progress to me. I don't think he's any better than our other creative players, when they can be arsed.

I don't think it's an exception when you're recruiting that many bargains as we did in the past. That's just very good scouting which seems to have completely gone out of the window now.

It's not that we haven't got the money to spend, it's that we've not got the pulling power anymore because our scouting turned to shit when we could still have got good deals on talented players.

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

The thing is we wasted £30m on Slimani, £16m on Musa.

A bit galling if we're now going for players considered not good enough for teams we were so much better than last season.

Ramirez might be alright but a) I don't think he's necessarily the sort of player we're desperate for and b) it doesn't really say progress to me. I don't think he's any better than our other creative players, when they can be arsed.

I don't think it's an exception when you're recruiting that many bargains as we did in the past. That's just very good scouting which seems to have completely gone out of the window now.

It's not that we haven't got the money to spend, it's that we've not got the pulling power anymore because our scouting turned to shit when we could still have got good deals on talented players.

When I say 'exception to the rule', I agree with you completely, in that the great work which Steve Walsh did for us, in hindsight, seems to have been above and beyond the norm. We don't seem to be, or have been able to replicate this looking at our current latest signings, for example Musa, Hernandez, Mendy etc

Who are our creative players we keep talking about?

Drinks, Mahrez and possibly even Slim?

I have a suspicion it may look a bit like this:

Mahrez Drinks Ndidi Ramirez

Slimani Vardy

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Who are our creative players we keep talking about?

Drinks, Mahrez and possibly even Slim?

I have a suspicion it may look a bit like this:

Mahrez Drinks Ndidi Ramirez

Slimani Vardy

I hope CR realises now, that you can't drop the link man, Okazaki, and replace with Slimani.

Surely, Ramirez would replace Okazaki in the 10 role?

I give up, if we are going to sign a player like Ramirez and play him in a flat midfield four with two other strikers (but the way CR and this season is going, I wouldn't be surprised!)

4 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Albrighon, Mahrez, Musa

Slimani

Albrighton whipping balls into Slimani & Mahrez playing through balls to Musa. I think that front four would be hard to contain.

Ramirez & Vardy to come off the bench if we want to play on the counter.

You're forgetting Albrighton rarely beats the first man and Musa can't control the ball

Archived