Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Mahrez

I'd genuinely be very surprised if Barca were interested. He is a fantastic and very special player no doubt about it, but as great as he is I don't think he's at Barca's level. If you want be considered for Barcelona's starting XI you need to be in the top 2-3% of world footballer's and be able to beat 2-3 player's with ease when singled out by the opposition. Unfortunately Mahrez has shown this season that when the opposition double and treble up on him he doesn't have enough answers to the questions posed to him to come out on top.

This isn't a criticism of Mahrez, as mentioned he's an unbelievable player for Leicester City and I'm very fortunate to have had the pleasure of watching him but I just can't see him displacing any of that Barca starting XI and from his time here I think his ego is his biggest barrier as he'll expect game time wherever he goes.

My concern for Riyad and ultimately Leicester City is that he'll be left deeply disappointed if the move doesn't come off and I'm not sure he has the mental strength to come back from such a blow. That'll be trouble for us as we'll be left with a player who's dreams were shattered and we'll need to pick up the pieces.

Unfortunately team's will see him as a name that they can use to exert pressure on and destabilise the top player's at other club's inorder to unsettle them. On paper if Barca genuinely wanted to sign Mahrez he'd be relatively easy to prise out of Leicester's grasp, given that Leicester won't stand in his way if the fee is right for the club, he's very affordable from a wage perspective, has openly expressed a desire to join Barca, etc. As such, agent's representing other player's will be well aware of this fact and they'll be doing everything within their power to put their client's at the top of Barca's target list.

Barca are a team that don't sign senior player's to boost the strength of their squad. Player recruitment revolves around signing players that are better than what they currently have or are young and considered to be the best upcoming talent in world football which can gradually be introduced into the side. Mahrez fits neither criteria.

Furthermore taking my Blue tinted glasses off for one moment, if you could sign any player in the PL right now would Mahrez really be top of your list? When you add international pedigree into the mix Mahrez again falls short when compared to others in the PL. Let's be honest a move to Barca would attract any player in the PL currently. As much as I love Riyad the likes of Hazard, Sanchez, and Ozil, are better player's who've not only proven themselves domestically but also done it for good teams on the international stage. Given that two of the three above will be available in the summer I'd be very surprised if Barca were to take a gamble on Mahrez.

We'll only know if he's at Barca's level if he goes. He'd certainly be backup for Messi, Suarez and Neymar initially, but I think he'd do well when he got on the pitch- he's struggled this season because we haven't attacked as a unit, and every time he gets the ball he's instantly got 2 or 3 players on him. At Barca, opponents would be too preoccupied with their other players to afford Riyad that sort of treatment. 

3 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

We'll only know if he's at Barca's level if he goes. He'd certainly be backup for Messi, Suarez and Neymar initially, but I think he'd do well when he got on the pitch- he's struggled this season because we haven't attacked as a unit, and every time he gets the ball he's instantly got 2 or 3 players on him. At Barca, opponents would be too preoccupied with their other players to afford Riyad that sort of treatment. 

Exactly, Barca aren't stupid. Riyad has developed into a disciplined player (thanks to Claudio's coaching). If they are looking for someone who can consistently beat their man to open up the play then there can't be many better options out there than Riyad. 

5 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Exctly , marez have shown that he can pass three players when he is in a  more spaced situation  but as  a winger he is in a different way to play than a no 10 like messi who also cant always pass three players and as tchnical qualities mahrez is  more skilful  and we have seen mahrez in a a team like leicester where players with no control on the ball where mahrez can think to use them to win a situation and open spaces like oka or albrighton   So at barca mahrez will surely get his chance as did turan and  rafinha recently and wiill shown the world what football can be with such a  wold class football where lecester have unearth only one face of mahrez  abikities  and  i  tend to use a catch phrase from the movie ( office space 1999 ) it s not the problem in peter  but the poblem  that you didnt chalkenge him  enough 

At  barca or liverpool  mahrez  future next season is written 

2 hours ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

£40 Mill minimum.

Plus 50m from the club and we have cash for defenders.

Bang in 25 mill each for Keane and Gibson.

Ship out Musa, Ulloa, Mendy, Wasil, King, James.

We missed our chance with Keane last summer. Now an England international and talks of returning to Man U etc.

Gibson is a decent shout. With Boro likely to be relegated, think we could get him for £18-20 million.

If not, then would take a look at Harry Maguire. Also think we need to decide what we are going to do with Amartey, CB or DCM

On 3/23/2017 at 17:10, Strokes said:

Yeah £30 - £35 million, that's pretty insulting. You don't buy the best players in the premier league for that. Come back when you've got some proper money to play with and we will talk.

There's two problems with this:

1. He's been woeful for a large part of this season

2. It's been a long held ambition of his to play for Barca... if they come knocking then  there's every chance we risk another ulloa situation by denying him. Sure, we can play hardball  like we did with ulloa but ulloa was at the time a fringe player a 30 -50 million sitting in the stands is no good to anyone and will substantially decrease in value over time...

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

There's two problems with this:

1. He's been woeful for a large part of this season

2. It's been a long held ambition of his to play for Barca... if they come knocking then  there's every chance we risk another ulloa situation by denying him. Sure, we can play hardball  like we did with ulloa but ulloa was at the time a fringe player a 30 -50 million sitting in the stands is no good to anyone and will substantially decrease in value over time...

3. He probably worked a deal with Leicester last season, that he would stay 1 more year, if he was allowed to leave if a big club came in for him this summer

42 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

who would we bring in to replace him?

If he goes then we'll need to sign 2 wingers. musa needs to be sold & kapustka will probably go out on loan, leaving us with albrighton & gray.

Lawrence may be given a preseason to impress, although not sure he is a natural winger. Similar to Kaputska maybe and best suited to a no.10 or wide of a front 3. 

If we are planning to stick to a 4-4-2 then you're probably right on needing 2 new wingers. 

If Lawrence and Kaputska both impress, then be interesting to see where they will fit in, and whether Shakey is considering a change from 4-4-2 long-term. 

------------------------Kasper---------------------

Trippier------Gibson----Maguire-----Chilwell

---------------Drinkwater----N'didi---------------

-------Gray---------Kaputska--------Lawrence

------------------------Vardy-----------------------

Would love to see this attempted in pre-season :P:whistle:

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Lawrence may be given a preseason to impress, although not sure he is a natural winger. Similar to Kaputska maybe and best suited to a no.10 or wide of a front 3. 

If we are planning to stick to a 4-4-2 then you're probably right on needing 2 new wingers. 

If Lawrence and Kaputska both impress, then be interesting to see where they will fit in, and whether Shakey is considering a change from 4-4-2 long-term. 

------------------------Kasper---------------------

Trippier------Gibson----Maguire-----Chilwell

---------------Drinkwater----N'didi---------------

-------Gray---------Kaputska--------Lawrence

------------------------Vardy-----------------------

Would love to see this attempted in pre-season :P:whistle:

Lawrence to replace Mahrez? Next joke 

Just now, AmarteyAndChill said:

Lawrence to replace Mahrez? Next joke 

lol Not exactly what I said. I think Gray will be the one to take that RM spot, or Albrighton to RM and Gray to the LM.

Was just wondering what would happen if Lawrence and Kaputska both have an impressive preseason and where they might fit in 

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

lol Not exactly what I said. I think Gray will be the one to take that RM spot, or Albrighton to RM and Gray to the LM.

Was just wondering what would happen if Lawrence and Kaputska both have an impressive preseason and where they might fit in 

Incredibly stupid and naive to sell Mahrez and not replace him with the correct quality of player.

12 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Incredibly stupid and naive to sell Mahrez and not replace him with the correct quality of player.

Not sure it's that simple to just replace Mahrez with the 'correct quality of player'. The only reason we have Mahrez playing for Leicester is because we took a punt on him when he was an unknown, and gave him time to flourish with us. Would be near impossible for us to go out and sign a direct replacement for Mahrez's quality, hence why I'd hope Gray, after showing signs of becoming a top player, could be the one who steps into the starting 11 and flourish similar to how Mahrez has.

Obviously, we will still need to hit the transfer market and I expect us to try add another player or two with real creative flair, but we will be limited as always and there will be an element of risk with whoever we bring in, and it may mean we have to take a look at what Kaputska and Lawrence can offer us. 

I'm excited to see how Lawrence will fair after a successful spell in the championship and rave reviews from Ipswich. I also think the reputation Kaputska came with, means he potentially has something more to offer us in the long-term. 

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Codswallop.

So intellectual ... wot you saying again?

Let me rephrase:

After what he has done for the club with the insignificant purchase price, they (the club) should be a bit lenient and help him with his dream move.

16 minutes ago, MattCan said:

Let me rephrase:

After what he has done for the club with the insignificant purchase price, they (the club) should be a bit lenient and help him with his dream move.

Still saying it pal ....      Codswallop.   

Lets not forget what the club has done for him.   Wonder if you actually are a Leicester fan or just have a hard on for Mahrez.

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Lets not forget what the club has done for him.   Wonder if you actually are a Leicester fan or just have a hard on for Mahrez.

400K and his return was 3 goals shy of hazard's tally in the last 3 seasons(same number of assists), dont you think after what he DID for this club he deserves a special treatment?

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Saying this to you pal ...    Bullshit

Let's also not forget what he did for the club. Wonder if you are here for football or just to slate Mahrez.

14 minutes ago, MattCan said:

Let me rephrase:

Apart from the last couple of games he's not done much for us this season!  We plucked him from obscurity, nurtured him in his first season, and he paid us last year with brilliant performances which assisted us greatly in winning the Premiership which was beyond belief,  but he was one part of a great team. Throughout all this, the club paid him handsomely for his services. Both the club's performance and his individual performances, led to a huge increase in his value  ( though his performances this season may also have lowered it a little also). Either way, the club owe him absolutely nothing as he's already been adequately rewarded in more than one way. He signed a contract and if he wants to leave (quite understandably if Barcelona come calling), then we should try and get the true market price. It's business, and we owe him nothing. There needs to be life after Marhez and any replacement will cost a huge chunk with risk attached. He would also have to up his game, get to training on time and improve his fitness if he is to stand any chance of getting in their side because as it stands at the moment, he's not good enough.

Archived