Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Should Ranieri Stay or go?

Ranieri confidence poll post millwall pre sevilla  

436 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ranieri Stay or go?

• Sack him
    • Keep him

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

Its funny how you've spun this, even funnier how you haven't quoted any of my posts which expressed my concerns about CR very early on in the season.

What worked best for him was that he changed hardly anything last season. For the record I was happy he signed a new deal providing he didn't tinker, as the post clearly states. 

I've not spun it at all. You said good news to him signing a new deal, at no point did you say you wanted him gone and that this season would be a disaster, like you're now claiming you did.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

I wonder what the reaction on foxestalk would have been if he had of left  us after our title win, I would imagine a lot of fans would have been angry at him if he had for deserting us after our greatest triumph, those same fans who are now wanting him gone! Football it's a funny old game!

4 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I wonder what the reaction on foxestalk would have been if he had of left  us after our title win, I would imagine a lot of fans would have been angry at him if he had for deserting us after our greatest triumph, those same fans who are now wanting him gone! Football it's a funny old game!

I think we would have been disappointed, but understood if he wanted to bow out at the top.

3 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I'm not sure to be honest:

- If he'd retired i'd have completely understood, we were never going to win the Champions League so he feasibly couldn't have achieved any more. 

- If he'd gone to Italy i'd have completely understood because he wants A) Another crack at International management and B) To manage his home country

- If he'd gone to a Premier League club i'd have been confused and quite disappointed.

Here's the article from The Times, if this is true (I have no reason to doubt it) then I just can't see the owners getting rid, they are extremely loyal people and this will only strengthen that.

The photographers would not sit down. Jamie Vardy was in town and while on the domestic front he is old news, in Europe he is still a superstar. The Champions League and tonight’s last 16 first-leg tie against Seville represents Vardy and Leicester City’s last chance to find solace from the Premier League relegation battle.

On the eve of the game, Claudio Ranieri admitted that he was approached by clubs in Italy and China, off the back of last season’s title win

“Look, I could leave last season, nobody could tell me nothing,” he said. “But I wanted to stay here. I came here to build.”

It was a statement that, in part, explains the loyalty of the club’s owners towards the Italian. If they felt lucky to have held on to him, to sack him now would feel counter-intuitive.

It is not overly dramatic to suggest that Leicester are not only failing to rebuild as Ranieri pledged but have mislaid the basic materials they used to create the miracle in the first place.

“I wish I could put a finger on it myself, but it’s not that easy,” Vardy, who has not had a shot on target in the league since December 17, said, when asked what was missing from his side’s performances this season.

Tonight’s game, according Ranieri, “could be the turning point — if we have a very good game, something inside could change.” That is a tall order given that Jorge Sampaoli’s side are pushing Barcelona and Real Madrid all the way at the top of La Liga.

The pressure then, for Ranieri, must be close to overwhelming. A poor result against a team that is close to achieving something akin to a La Liga version of Leicester’s fairytale could reverberate to send them plummeting out of the Premier League. Ranieri’s only hope is that he and his team can somehow forget the nightmare unfolding at home and perform with the joy and freedom they exhibited as they strolled to qualification from their group to earn the right to reach the knockout stage of the Champions League.

“We play without the pressure of the Premier League,” Ranieri said. “We play light. For this reason, I hope we can show our football.”

The hope is that, as underdogs, Leicester can count on surprising Seville, the way that they surprised most team domestically last season.

“They are better than us,” Ranieri said, “but we fight.”

That was the theme of last season. The Italian never accepted the title was close, always insisted that his club were not favourites to win any match.

Asked if he would be the matador or the bull upon his return to the country where he managed Atletico Madrid and Valencia, Ranieri chuckled and wondered whether he was being asked if had balls.

It does, indeed, take courage to prepare a team for what feels like a last clutch of the straw.

Leicester have lost their last five league games and were accused of being cowardly in their FA Cup defeat to Millwall at the weekend. The script has turned from Mills and Boon to Stephen King, with the threat of the nasty twist of relegation.

“I don’t think about the script, I’ve had nothing to do with it,” Vardy said of the film being made about his rise from non-league striker to star of a championship-winning club. However, if Leicester are to shine tonight, they will need him to have plenty to do with it.

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

Yeah fancy wanting to keep a manager who we thought was amazing, then wanting to get rid when it becomes plainly obvious he's not up to the situation we find ourselves in.

I haven't said anything on this for a while, mainly because there has been an awful lot of shouting, but I still think we stick with him. I know that we seem to be in a very dangerous position but I want to give him the chance to get us out of this. I think he deserves that opportunity. We also have no idea what would happen if we did get rid of him and we also have no idea what would have happened if we had got rid of him already. We can't deal in counterfactuals.

I remember in the 'Great Escape' season that there were calls for NP to go then and I did no want that either - although I could have no objection when he did go (I think that was right); I think clubs are far too quick to get rid of managers and there is no clear statistical evidence that it works: sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't (I said the same when we were having the same conversation about NP). I know that there is a difference between the season under NP and this season -it has been pointed out to me that in that season it always felt like we were always in the games that we lost (I appreciated that then and I do now), but I still don't want to be that club that sacks the manager that won them the league. I think (hope) that we are better than that, and if it means us being relegated then so-be-it. Having said that, I also don't want to be the team that wins the league and goes down the next season - but that is why this is so hard and why it is causing so many arguments between the fans. Finally, on this point, I definitely do not want to be the team that sacks the manager that won them the Premier League and then goes down anyway!

I have always maintained that as a team we over-performed last season and that our natural position is in the bottom half of the table (and maybe even in a relegation scrap). The players that we have seem to suggest that. We have one-or-two stand out players who appear not to be performing but other than that our players are lower prem/upper championship - just like the teams around us (who, it might be argued, also have one-or-two stand out players). I hope that Claudio can do it, and if he doesn't then we have been there before and we will survive. The difference this year is that the players, the club and the fans do not believe that we should be where we are and it is really affecting the spirit. It is a catch 22 situation (morale is low and so we don't perform: we lose and so morale is low). In previous seasons when we have been in a fight we were up-for-it because we had no delusions of grandeur, this year that is not the case. The fans also now have to be up-for-the-fight! I know that is hard but we have to pick the players and the manager up.

Yes, Claudio has tinkered. Yes, it hasn't worked. On some occasions I can understand why he has done it, even though it has not worked out, and on others I cannot. But all of us have a different opinion on what he should have done and that opinion is validated when he does what we think he should do and it works and it is validated when he doesn't do what we think and it fails. But what about the other times and what about the other people's views. We cannot all be right. He has stuck with players that maybe he shouldn't and everyone wanted him to make changes at that point and then he did and it didn't work... 

We need a break. A bit of good fortune. An atmosphere that excites the players and pushes them on. One win can lead to another. And if it doesn't happen for us then we go down, but we need to go down with a fight. And I will still be proud of what we have achieved. For those who believe that it is the end if we are relegated I can assure you that it is most definitely not. And if we bounce back up then relegation will become a footnote. It will become one of many relegations and promotions. Winning the Premier League will never be a footnote! 

1 hour ago, Renart said:

I haven't said anything on this for a while, mainly because there has been an awful lot of shouting, but I still think we stick with him. I know that we seem to be in a very dangerous position but I want to give him the chance to get us out of this. I think he deserves that opportunity. We also have no idea what would happen if we did get rid of him and we also have no idea what would have happened if we had got rid of him already. We can't deal in counterfactuals.

I remember in the 'Great Escape' season that there were calls for NP to go then and I did no want that either - although I could have no objection when he did go (I think that was right); I think clubs are far too quick to get rid of managers and there is no clear statistical evidence that it works: sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't (I said the same when we were having the same conversation about NP). I know that there is a difference between the season under NP and this season -it has been pointed out to me that in that season it always felt like we were always in the games that we lost (I appreciated that then and I do now), but I still don't want to be that club that sacks the manager that won them the league. I think (hope) that we are better than that, and if it means us being relegated then so-be-it. Having said that, I also don't want to be the team that wins the league and goes down the next season - but that is why this is so hard and why it is causing so many arguments between the fans. Finally, on this point, I definitely do not want to be the team that sacks the manager that won them the Premier League and then goes down anyway!

I have always maintained that as a team we over-performed last season and that our natural position is in the bottom half of the table (and maybe even in a relegation scrap). The players that we have seem to suggest that. We have one-or-two stand out players who appear not to be performing but other than that our players are lower prem/upper championship - just like the teams around us (who, it might be argued, also have one-or-two stand out players). I hope that Claudio can do it, and if he doesn't then we have been there before and we will survive. The difference this year is that the players, the club and the fans do not believe that we should be where we are and it is really affecting the spirit. It is a catch 22 situation (morale is low and so we don't perform: we lose and so morale is low). In previous seasons when we have been in a fight we were up-for-it because we had no delusions of grandeur, this year that is not the case. The fans also now have to be up-for-the-fight! I know that is hard but we have to pick the players and the manager up.

Yes, Claudio has tinkered. Yes, it hasn't worked. On some occasions I can understand why he has done it, even though it has not worked out, and on others I cannot. But all of us have a different opinion on what he should have done and that opinion is validated when he does what we think he should do and it works and it is validated when he doesn't do what we think and it fails. But what about the other times and what about the other people's views. We cannot all be right. He has stuck with players that maybe he shouldn't and everyone wanted him to make changes at that point and then he did and it didn't work... 

We need a break. A bit of good fortune. An atmosphere that excites the players and pushes them on. One win can lead to another. And if it doesn't happen for us then we go down, but we need to go down with a fight. And I will still be proud of what we have achieved. For those who believe that it is the end if we are relegated I can assure you that it is most definitely not. And if we bounce back up then relegation will become a footnote. It will become one of many relegations and promotions. Winning the Premier League will never be a footnote! 

"Winning the Premier League will never be a footnote!"

So true!

3 hours ago, Renart said:

Though, I'm on the other side of the fence, that's a bloody good post!

10 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I would like ranieri better if he phoned me up before making his team selection - I am not saying I want him to do what I say .... but I would value the discussion.

To be honest, I know people don't reallt value others opinions without some sort of qualiification, but you don't have to be a manager to see claudio is deluded. 

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

To be honest, I know people don't reallt value others opinions without some sort of qualiification, but you don't have to be a manager to see claudio is deluded. 

But maybe there is a chance is that deluded or not, with the right soundboard, he could become a better manager.... I know that mrs foxinsocks has often pointed out that I owe all my achievements to her mentoring... or something like that.

Tactically we were set up wrong for most of the game. He made the change, well done but had Seville taken on of there chances in the first half, it could've been a different story. I struggle to see how he is a master tactician and that's what hurts us. It's reactive management 90% of the time. If it was say, 40/50% you can live with it but not every game nearly. 

4 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Poor team selection and tactics. Kasper saved us from total humiliation. I fully expect Claudio to wheel out the same clueless players and tactics for Liverpool. Please prove me wrong Claudio.

What team would you have put out?

Archived