Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Sevilla (H) Pre-Match Thread

If we press them anywhere near the extent Barca pressed PSG (and we have better athletes) I don't see us losing this game. Spanish teams have an aversion to playing over the top which will work in our favor. 

1 hour ago, Mezeker said:

If we press them anywhere near the extent Barca pressed PSG (and we have better athletes) I don't see us losing this game. Spanish teams have an aversion to playing over the top which will work in our favor. 

There is being bias, then there is being bias....

Both PSG and Barca, are very fit teams, and top athletes when quantifying football players.

I might in this life I  dislike How they present themselves, it doesnt mean I dont rate them in

doing their jobs. ..Suarez being one of them ..if he wasnt such a twat, he could of been one of the best loved

Wclass players of his generation. Look at Costa(Chelsea), when he just plays football hes a delight to watch..

Though your last point imo, could well work in our favour, but Sevilla too like a good battle.

We could play damn well and win 3-2, but that will also goodbye CL.

'Grita Devastacion y suelta Los perros de la guerra'

If we do win this and go through to the next stage, All of the other teams wont like to get us in the draw..

If the gods of football  can give me my greatest football wish, it would be to see City vs BVB in the final.

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Both PSG and Barca, are very fit teams, and top athletes when quantifying football players.

I might in this life I  dislike How they present themselves, it doesnt mean I dont rate them in

doing their jobs. ..Suarez being one of them ..if he wasnt such a twat, he could of been one of the best loved

Wclass players of his generation. Look at Costa(Chelsea), when he just plays football hes a delight to watch..

Though your last point imo, could well work in our favour, but Sevilla too like a good battle.

If we do win this and go through to the next stage, All of the other teams wont like to get us in the draw..

If the gods of football  can give me my greatest football wish, it would be to see City vs BVB in the final.

He is one of the worlds best (ever.) Being a twat doesn't make him less talented haha. 

Go on admit it, you'd love him if he played up to for us:P

2 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

He is one of the worlds best (ever.) Being a twat doesn't make him less talented haha. 

Go on admit it, you'd love him if he played up to for us:P

Damn right pal.. Just think how many more  goals he would score or assists, he would be creditted for.If he wasnt being a twat.

Imo, he'd put Maradonna in the shade, he has everything.Thats what is frustrating about him...

Okazaki cant help but fall on the floor, he has a good set of teeth, but Suarez does it too often on purpose, and uses his teeth

More than pac-man, and flosses them on oppositions arms, its a good job that latin players like garlic, or he'd be Front runner

for being the biggest star in Vampire films..  Dracula  vs Suarez...lol

The only reason he decided to go to Liverpool, was his mates told him it was a  'right dive'....:rolleyes:

I digress, sorry...I hope Sevilla players are more honest, and if Vardy wins it with a dive, brill!!!

Hopefully the atmosphere is unnerving for them.

I actually think it could make a much bigger impact than people realise. Sevilla are not going to be playing at a half empty and near silent Etihad or at the emirates in front of a fan base knowing they cannot progress further

They're going to be playing a side where the fans, players and staff realize it is potentially their last ever game at this level....unless we get through.

Let's all remember when Celtic beat Barca 2-0, the atmosphere was electric that night.

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Juve, athleti,real,Barca,Bayern,Dortmund citeh and potentially us. you think they would all rather play each other than us?? sorry mate but they would all be  desperate to be drawn against us. (Apart from the odd experienced player like robben who fancies a change). Sevilla should be out of sight. None of that lot (citeh apart) would have allowed us to come back one down with an away goal. 

Last year we dined at the top table. Now we find ourselves on the cusp of something - an analogy for which I can't even think of! like I said late last April as we approached the decisive games - 'suck it up and drink it in - enjoy it, for it may never come your way again.' 

lol

The press that Barça put on comes from years, a decade or so, of work. People forget that a big part of tiki taka is the quick pack hunting press when not in possession.

We're a good pressing side but comparing us to Barcelona is a bit off.

You're right in that Sevilla won't like the constant pressure though and if we play as we did vs Liverpool we've definitely got a chance.

My biggest fear is that Shakespeare falls in to the "we only need 1-0" trap and we end up sitting back for 90 minutes.

On 3/7/2017 at 22:48, FraserSorensen said:

Just to be pedantic, it is both after 90 mins and 120 mins. If the score it 2-1 at FT and 3-2 AET then Sevilla would progress.

Kind of makes a mockery of the rule to do it in ET as you have an additional 30 mins the home team doesn't have to score a double goal.

But the home team have the advantage of playing that extra half hour at home, swings and roundabouts.

On 3/8/2017 at 00:09, maddog said:

Very excited for this, might shed a tear when the Champions League music comes on for what could well be the last time I'll hear it at the King Power in my lifetime.

Of course if we get through I'll do the same again all the way to Cardiff hopefully :P

These two league wins have really added great expectations and genuine hope of a cupset here for us. 

This season could work out well for us.

We've been very ordinary even in the group games but now the boys have had to turn it on to get us free from relegation and we find our old Leicester back against a beatable side. This is where we wanted to be in the CL with the team firing and one good performance away from the QF. It would have been a tradegy if we had performed like we did most of the season and gone out tamely.

On 3/8/2017 at 03:34, TJB-fox said:

The boy/management need to pick a position and bloody stick with it. No point him fannying around in CB RB and CM and not really developing anywhere in particular. Doesn't want to become a bit part player that fills in when needed, and I think he is better than that. Versatility is good though and remember Walsh saying it's something lcfc have looked for over the years in players so managers can switch systems easily during games.

Think Amartey should settle down as a CB personally, has exactly the right attributes to play there or as a dominant CDM, but his passing lets him down in midfield.

Not sure he's big or strong enough for CB but he's still only 22 and CB's are like wine as they get better with age.

He has a lot of attributes most centre halves would love to have as he's quick and athletic and decent on the ball for that position, maybe Amartey is a slow burner?

Stat time 

• Sevilla claimed a 2-1 victory in the reverse fixture; the first time they had ever faced Leicester City in European competition.
  • Leicester have never beaten Spanish opposition in European competition (D1 L4; also Atlético Madrid in 1961/62 Cup Winners Cup and 1997/98 UEFA Cup).
  • Seven of the last nine times a side has lost 1-2 away from home in a Champions League 1st leg knockout tie, have failed to go on and progress to the next round.
  • Leicester City are the first team since Malaga in 2012/13 to finish top of their group on their Champions League debut.
  • Sevilla have reached the Champions League knockout stages in three of their four appearances. However, they’ve never gone past the round of 16.
  • No team has kept more clean sheets this season in the Champions League than Sevilla (5, same as Juventus).
  • The Foxes were one of only four teams to win all three of their 2016/17 Champions League home group games (Atlético Madrid, Bayern Munich & Barcelona).
  • However, Sevilla are yet to lose on the road in the Champions League this term (W1 D2); keeping clean sheets all three of those games.
  • Of the sides still in the competition, Leicester City have the lowest average share of possession this season in the Champions League (39.6%).
  • Sevilla’s Steven N'Zonzi has attempted more passes than any other player this campaign in the Champions League (610).
  • Samir Nasri has only recorded one goal and one assist in 17 Champions League knockout games.
  • Riyad Mahrez have been directly involved in three of the four goals Leicester City have scored at home this season in the Champions League.

15 hours ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

I think he will start with slim and then bring on shinji 

No chance for me, Shakey will set us up to be more pressing and solid. It's far more important that we don't concede rather than score in the first hour.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

But the home team have the advantage of playing that extra half hour at home, swings and roundabouts.

Which they earnt by winning their group.

They should abolish the away goals rule entirely imo. A single early goal can effectively make a game a dead rubber from the off (unless you're Barca...). At the very least the away goals needs to stop after the 90 minutes. Extra time should be a 'clean slate' before penalties where both teams' efforts count equally. Makes no sense to me at all that two teams can be drawing after the two legs, and drawing after extra time, but because ET was 1-1 then one team goes through at the expense of the other.

Draws aren't settled by away goals in league matches, so don't see why that should be the case in cups.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Which they earnt by winning their group.

They should abolish the away goals rule entirely imo. A single early goal can effectively make a game a dead rubber from the off (unless you're Barca...). At the very least the away goals needs to stop after the 90 minutes. Extra time should be a 'clean slate' before penalties where both teams' efforts count equally. Makes no sense to me at all that two teams can be drawing after the two legs, and drawing after extra time, but because ET was 1-1 then one team goes through at the expense of the other.

Draws aren't settled by away goals in league matches, so don't see why that should be the case in cups.

There is no right or wrong answer.

Not applying the away goal rule after extra time does give the group winners another advantage. more times than not the group winners will be the usual suspects like Bayern, Real and Barcelona so I'm all for not giving them another advantage to give the runners up a better chance to qualify.

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Slimani isnt lazy and does press tbf

I never said he was lazy or didn't press but Okazaki is better in the No10 role than Slimani as he presses better.

Slimani is a No9 and much more of a goal threat, it was quite telling that when Slimani came on against Hull he went to the No9 role and Vardy played the No10 role which suggests Slimani will be sold to me as both are unlikely to feature in the same team too often.

9 minutes ago, MattCan said:

Does Shinji really enjoy this sacrificial high press role? I think he is not being given any other choice except for the few times when Vardy is on the bench and he can play the no. 9 position.

But is he better than vardy?

16 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

he'd put Maradonna in the shade

Er,no he wouldn't, Maradonna was an amazing player who would be in any sane persons best 3 to have ever played in the modern era. Personally I would would say he's easily the best i've ever seen in my 50 years.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

But is he better than vardy?

I'm not talking about Vardy or Slim, the other strkers. I'm discussing whether Shinji really is happy with the pressing role he is being given. I understand the job requirements part of the question.

1 minute ago, MattCan said:

I'm not talking about Vardy or Slim, the other strkers. I'm discussing whether Shinji really is happy with the pressing role he is being given. I understand the job requirements part of the question.

Oh, i thought you were when you said he can play the no 9 position.

Archived