Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Stoke (H) Pre Match Thread

If we're badly needing someone to press in the absence of Shinji should he be knackered, then Albrighton is perfect. I'd rather we bring in Gray than Slimani and then between Gray, Mahrez and Albrighton there's someone harrying and disrupting the space between Vardy and their defence.

Not sure if Morgan's back? I'm more than happy with Yohan anyway. So same team as what started West Ham but with Gray in for Shinji if needs be.

Personally, I don't see it as not 4-4-2 just because one of the strikers comes deep - this should be the case anyway. You can't have 2 strikers making the same runs all the while, or standing in a rigid place. When little and large partnerships were all the rage the big man would have to come deep to win headers and the short arse would run on to flick-ons. As usual I think people are splitting hairs with formations, trying to label slight variations as a completely different system. No formation can work without movement - players coming deep/going long/moving wide etc, aka slightly out of position.

We're certainly better with Okazaki in the team, it's just a shame we haven't been able to find a better player to do his role. As Stu says above, Slimani should be coming deep more often if he's playing, allowing Vardy to run in behind regularly.

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Personally, I don't see it as not 4-4-2 just because one of the strikers comes deep - this should be the case anyway. You can't have 2 strikers making the same runs all the while, or standing in a rigid place. When little and large partnerships were all the rage the big man would have to come deep to win headers and the short arse would run on to flick-ons. As usual I think people are splitting hairs with formations, trying to label slight variations as a completely different system. No formation can work without movement - players coming deep/going long/moving wide etc, aka slightly out of position.

We're certainly better with Okazaki in the team, it's just a shame we haven't been able to find a better player to do his role. As Stu says above, Slimani should be coming deep more often if he's playing, allowing Vardy to run in behind regularly.

I think Okazaki takes that role to a different dimension though where he drops so deep he becomes a 3rd central midfielder and makes it very hard for the oppositions midfield to get through. This season, Ranieri had Okazaki playing slightly further forward and the space and intensity lost was quite dramatic. I do agree though that there are better players to play that role out there who can provide us support from attacks as well as Okazaki often seems behind play when he's playing so deep. His increased goals this season came from him playing further forward.

Stat time

• Leicester City have lost just one of their five previous Premier League games against Stoke (W2 D2).
  • The Potters have been the victors just once in their last eight trips to Leicester in all competitions (D4 L3).
  • Leonardo Ulloa has scored in three of his previous five Premier League games against Stoke, but hasn’t featured in a Premier League game for the Foxes since January.
  • Craig Shakespeare could be the first British manager to win his first four Premier League games. The only other managers to win their opening four Premier League matches are Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink and Carlo Ancelotti.
  • Jamie Vardy has scored three goals and assisted two more in his three Premier League appearances under Craig Shakespeare for Leicester City – the same number that he’d managed in his previous 18 games in the competition.
  • Riyad Mahrez has scored in his both of his last two Premier League games for Leicester. He hasn’t scored in three in a row since December 2015.
  • Shinji Okazaki has appeared in 59 Premier League games since the start of last season but has completed 90 minutes in just four of these. In 2016-17, he’s completed 90 minutes just once in 23 apps in the competition.
  • Stoke have failed to score in their last three Premier League away games – they haven’t gone four without scoring on the road in the competition since March 2011 (five in a row).
  • The Potters have picked up just four points in seven away games in the Premier League since the start of December (W1 D1 L5).
  • Leicester City will be looking to win three successive home games in the Premier League for the first time in over a year (February 2016) – a run that included a victory against Stoke City.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If we're badly needing someone to press in the absence of Shinji should he be knackered, then Albrighton is perfect. I'd rather we bring in Gray than Slimani and then between Gray, Mahrez and Albrighton there's someone harrying and disrupting the space between Vardy and their defence.

Not sure if Morgan's back? I'm more than happy with Yohan anyway. So same team as what started West Ham but with Gray in for Shinji if needs be.

I was actually thinking this myself, if we intend to play the same way then I can't think of anyone better than Albrighton to play in there. Would definitely go with Gray on the left with Albrighton in behind Vardy.

On 3/27/2017 at 22:39, STUHILL said:

That's a race I would like to see. Not sure Slimani would beat him by far, if at all, but neither are quick I suppose and I was more referring to how quick Okazaki closes people down and harrasses them.

His run against Sevilla, when he got his chance was far from a slow guy. He runs strangely that's a fact, and that can mislead people to think he is slow. He isn't amazingly quick, but for his size he is fairly quick and definitely in my opinion quicker than Okazaki.

Albrighton for Okazaki would not be ideal. Indeed, the partnership between him and Fuchs is just as important to keep as is. Gray, Ulloa, Slimani and even Musa are all able to do an adequate job should Shinji make way.

3 hours ago, Bayfox said:

I'm not sure Slimani can drop that bit deeper, tho, his touch isn't that great, he doesn't work hard enough, he'd have to stop waving his arms about and complaining like he did at west ham when he came on for a start, I accept okazaki is not a traditional number 10, but his work rate is key to how we play, a bit like kante last season and even albrighton, limited player, but covers so much ground, work rate is key to how we play, I don't see Slim offering that side of things, especially in that role. We are more than the sum of our parts at times, for a reason, it just works, trying to change it and get players into the side when they don't offer what we need, makes us worse.

Also without going back over every team sheet, how many times did Vardy and Leo actually play together, 1st season back up, vardy got injured and we still had nuge and last season, shinji was starting most weeks with vardy, leo was a bit part player, that tended to step in late on in games, or when vardy was out.

personal opinion but I actually see leo and vardy as a better partnership than vardy and slim, certainly wouldn't be adverse to leo playing, slim was terrible when he came on at west ham and I think that's when i ran out of patience with him, I also worry he isn't the best in the dressing room and around the club, maybe he's a winner and used to winning in portugal, but he seems to frustrate some of the current squad with his attitude.

I accept your last point, if we altered our approach slightly and with the crossers you mention we should be able to supply him with plenty of chances but we don't, play that way, by that i mean, if we play on the counter, i'm not sure he is quick enough to break with us and get in the box and as i mentioned earlier, with albrighton on one side having to cut back on his right foot and mahrez on the other, mahrez has that habit eden hazard seemed to have a few years back of actually trying to slow the play down and beat a player with skill, instead of trying to run away from them at times.

I just feel we may have to bite the bullet with Slim and Musa, it's gone now but we may have been better persisting in trying to get deeney. someone who knew the league and does seem to have a decent touch.

Would love to see us go in for sigurdsson tho, that's a number 10, works hard, stays on his feet lol scores, creates, and who knows may actually help us take the odd decent free kick.

I think Vardy and Ulloa played together nearly every game last season, due to Claudio using Okazaki often for only 45 minutes and then making the change to Ulloa. 

I'm not suggesting we should replace Okazaki with Slimani on a regular occassion. This change was only brought up as Okazaki is playing International football in Japan only few days before our match and as we all know, Okazaki's energy is his main and sometimes only real asset, so to have a tired Okazaki might not be a better option than a fully fit and fresh Slimani. Yes, he offers something completely different, but that doesn't mean it can't and won't work. Ulloa is a lot less mobile than Slimani and is an out and out striker, and him and Vardy formed a successful partnership last season. 

I'm not saying Slim and Vardy will be a success, but I think it is too early to write them off, and this weekend will probably be another chance for them if Okazaki is knackered after starting for Japan and the travel involved.

I also think you are harsh to judge Slimani coming on in the 76th minute of the West Ham game, when we were defending for our lives and hoofing anything that came anywhere near our box. Not exactly an ideal situation to come into and I'm still not sure why Musa and Slimani came on, when Amartey and Ulloa perhaps would have been better. Amartey to help the defence and Ulloa because he is our best player at winning hoofs and holding the ball up and slowing time.

Totally agree on Sigurdsson but he will be aiming higher than us, similar to Keane. These are two players we should have gone for last Summer when our stock was sky high and we could offer them Champions League football. 

Are we really going to write off Slimani after only 13 appearances in the league? 5 goals and 3 assists in that 13, of which only 6 were starts. He has a;so endured 8 months of the team being in woeful form; being away with AFCON and injuries, so I'm going to give him longer before biting the bullet on him. 

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I think Vardy and Ulloa played together nearly every game last season, due to Claudio using Okazaki often for only 45 minutes and then making the change to Ulloa. 

I'm not suggesting we should replace Okazaki with Slimani on a regular occassion. This change was only brought up as Okazaki is playing International football in Japan only few days before our match and as we all know, Okazaki's energy is his main and sometimes only real asset, so to have a tired Okazaki might not be a better option than a fully fit and fresh Slimani. Yes, he offers something completely different, but that doesn't mean it can't and won't work. Ulloa is a lot less mobile than Slimani and is an out and out striker, and him and Vardy formed a successful partnership last season. 

I'm not saying Slim and Vardy will be a success, but I think it is too early to write them off, and this weekend will probably be another chance for them if Okazaki is knackered after starting for Japan and the travel involved.

I also think you are harsh to judge Slimani coming on in the 76th minute of the West Ham game, when we were defending for our lives and hoofing anything that came anywhere near our box. Not exactly an ideal situation to come into and I'm still not sure why Musa and Slimani came on, when Amartey and Ulloa perhaps would have been better. Amartey to help the defence and Ulloa because he is our best player at winning hoofs and holding the ball up and slowing time.

Totally agree on Sigurdsson but he will be aiming higher than us, similar to Keane. These are two players we should have gone for last Summer when our stock was sky high and we could offer them Champions League football. 

Are we really going to write off Slimani after only 13 appearances in the league? 5 goals and 3 assists in that 13, of which only 6 were starts. He has a;so endured 8 months of the team being in woeful form; being away with AFCON and injuries, so I'm going to give him longer before biting the bullet on him. 

At west ham he didnt even try to get on the end of anything. And i wasnt the only one saying that. And when his chance came he did the hard bit i'll grant you that.

I guess the fee plays apart in my thoughts he's certainly not 3 times the player leo is.

I accept he has his qualities but we really dont play to his strengths.

I know shinji got hooked a lot. My mind must be playing tricks tho. Had forgotten if leo did play that many minutes.

Go to be the same 11 as West Ham although can see Wes coming back in if he's fit.

Okazaki will be knackered but play him from the start and then we can take him off slightly earlier than his usual 60 mins if necessary. 

11 minutes ago, ge12 said:

Go to be the same 11 as West Ham although can see Wes coming back in if he's fit.

Okazaki will be knackered but play him from the start and then we can take him off slightly earlier than his usual 60 mins if necessary. 

I'd start benny, deserves to build on his perfomance against West Ham.

If Shakespeare  think that stoke will press and hold the ball during the first half we have to rest mahrez and start with gray , and pairing slimani and vardy and Chilwell ( the future Marcelo ' and I tend to say hw will not stay a Leicester when he finish his development  like gray will do ) 

But watching Albrighton play his fotball is a torture for me , ( ranieri has begun putting him aside in order to let him go next season , Albrighton ais by  chance a footballer like slupp are rugby men,  one ball correct and nice balls wrong OMG )

Shakespere will face in the next three matchs a real problem in playing down the tactics of the opponents before the big match agaiinst atletico Madrid , that will be tough very tough 

Hope really that leicester will face face away match of the CL in 12th April by having positive ideas and good results

2 minutes ago, Almo-Fox said:

If Shakespeare  think that stoke will press and hold the ball during the first half we have to rest mahrez and start with gray , and pairing slimani and vardy and Chilwell ( the future Marcelo ' and I tend to say hw will not stay a Leicester when he finish his development  like gray will do ) 

But watching Albrighton play his fotball is a torture for me , ( ranieri has begun putting him aside in order to let him go next season , Albrighton ais by  chance a footballer like slupp are rugby men,  one ball correct and nice balls wrong OMG )

Shakespere will face in the next three matchs a real problem in playing down the tactics of the opponents before the big match agaiinst atletico Madrid , that will be tough very tough 

Hope really that leicester will face face away match of the CL in 12th April by having positive ideas and good results

Not quite sure what you are trying to say about Albrighton but he has been superb in my opinion the last few games.

49 minutes ago, Almo-Fox said:

Wtf 

5 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Stat time

• Leicester City have lost just one of their five previous Premier League games against Stoke (W2 D2).
  • The Potters have been the victors just once in their last eight trips to Leicester in all competitions (D4 L3).
  • Leonardo Ulloa has scored in three of his previous five Premier League games against Stoke, but hasn’t featured in a Premier League game for the Foxes since January.
  • Craig Shakespeare could be the first British manager to win his first four Premier League games. The only other managers to win their opening four Premier League matches are Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink and Carlo Ancelotti.
  • Jamie Vardy has scored three goals and assisted two more in his three Premier League appearances under Craig Shakespeare for Leicester City – the same number that he’d managed in his previous 18 games in the competition.
  • Riyad Mahrez has scored in his both of his last two Premier League games for Leicester. He hasn’t scored in three in a row since December 2015.
  • Shinji Okazaki has appeared in 59 Premier League games since the start of last season but has completed 90 minutes in just four of these. In 2016-17, he’s completed 90 minutes just once in 23 apps in the competition.
  • Stoke have failed to score in their last three Premier League away games – they haven’t gone four without scoring on the road in the competition since March 2011 (five in a row).
  • The Potters have picked up just four points in seven away games in the Premier League since the start of December (W1 D1 L5).
  • Leicester City will be looking to win three successive home games in the Premier League for the first time in over a year (February 2016) – a run that included a victory against Stoke City.

Given these stats, we have to be a good bet to win surely? We're on the up and on a great run, and Stoke haven't scored away 3 games and only won one in their last 7 away matches, and they haven't done anything to change that.

Should be comfortable really.

Their style of play is somewhat bland and lacks creativity (quite surprised Bojan has been shipped out on loan).

Walters will be up for up to show what he's capable of after us apparently turning a move down for him.

Need to go for it as others have mentioned, but also because when under pressure they can concede fouls often.

Literally no need to change a team/system that's won four on the bounce. Although we've had a few internationals, the rest for the others should have charged them up enough to overwhelm a relatively badly performing Stoke side. Be interested to see if CS makes a few changes a bit earlier on to preserve for the Sunderland game.

Stoke are one of those teams that always seem to do enough early on in the season to make themselves relatively safe, and always have a drop off towards the latter stages. I think this is a perfect time to be playing them and if we are on our game, then I can see a comfortable win. 

3-0 Leicester win

I expect a win vs stoke but i am worried about the following matches if the players could keep their energy full till playing Atletico ? The issue with players is they need to be constantly and considerably motivated before games unlike the other teams.

Archived