Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

People grimaced at the prices quoted for Keane and Deeney last summer when the likelihood is that we'd have been in a much better state with them this season than without.

Our first choice centre halves have a combined ages of 65 and our back

up options are a guy who's had to wait almost two years to get a chance and another who should have retired two seasons ago.

I don't care if we spend an obscene amount on two centre halves this summer as long as

they're successors who can be the foundations of our defence for years to come.

28 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

And both are right footed

so you are saying that Maguire is a better left sided English centre half than Gibson ?

I don't think there is an awful lot between them, but I would rather take Gibson if the price was right.

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Not a fan of Denayer, not sure what you're seeing there.

Chambers has started 18 games, so just about half in the league this season. Needs to be starting every week for a team like Boro imo if we're gonna be adding them to our squad.

Mawson would be a cracking signing though.

I thought the same with Mawson. Is he any good? He seems to go well under the radar when he's in a similar boat to Keane, Maguire and Gibson in terms of who he plays for and the fact he's an English centre half. Scored a lovely goal against us as well.

I'm torn on this. Part of me thinks they're having our pants down, another part of me thought the exact same when Burnley wanted £18mil for Keane, and there's no doubt in my mind if I could reverse time I'd have said do it.

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I thought the same with Mawson. Is he any good? He seems to go well under the radar when he's in a similar boat to Keane, Maguire and Gibson in terms of who he plays for and the fact he's an English centre half. Scored a lovely goal against us as well.

I'm torn on this. Part of me thinks they're having our pants down, another part of me thought the exact same when Burnley wanted £18mil for Keane, and there's no doubt in my mind if I could reverse time I'd have said do it.

Mawsons a good shout, if swans go down could maybe be a cut price. Bangs in the goals as well.

Just now, Strokes said:

Mawsons a good shout, if swans go down could maybe be a cut price. Bangs in the goals as well.

That's what I thought. I'd have thought in theory he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than Keane and Gibson too.

I'm admittedly guessing a bit here. Cannot judge a defender on highlights.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's what I thought. I'd have thought in theory he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than Keane and Gibson too.

I'm admittedly guessing a bit here. Cannot judge a defender on highlights.

Yeah I've only really watched against us and then highlights but at that age, you just need capable in the division and he seems that atleast.

7 hours ago, ramadaone said:

Great logic

that means we should sign Pierre Pisspants from Le Harve ?

hmm. I mean after Knockaert we then signed two other relatively unknown players (who may as well have been Pierre Pisspants) who also turned out well. Why you have a problem with Shawcross is beyond me. He's captained a mid-table premier league side for a very long time and would do us no harm at what would probably be a low cost. 

Tanner reports that shakey told him Gibson wasn't a name that came up in the recruitment meeting he sat in on. whether true or not, any comment on targets/non targets is a departure from our usual strategy of no comments at all. Shakey seems more open than our previous couple incumbents - wonder how that will go down with rudders and macia 

Guest CityFan 06
11 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

People grimaced at the prices quoted for Keane and Deeney last summer when the likelihood is that we'd have been in a much better state with them this season than without.

Our first choice centre halves have a combined ages of 65 and our back

up options are a guy who's had to wait almost two years to get a chance and another who should have retired two seasons ago.

I don't care if we spend an obscene amount on two centre halves this summer as long as

they're successors who can be the foundations of our defence for years to come.

Spot on. We need to recruit well this summer.

46 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

5 cb's seems a bit extreme, unless benny leaves also?

Depends if we think benny has a permanent future at this level - whilst he was great in a solid defensive strategy Wednesday night I worry about him against the top half sides with less protection in front of him. 

Luis Hernandez looked good in a three against Barca last weekend 

13 hours ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

hmm. I mean after Knockaert we then signed two other relatively unknown players (who may as well have been Pierre Pisspants) who also turned out well. Why you have a problem with Shawcross is beyond me. He's captained a mid-table premier league side for a very long time and would do us no harm at what would probably be a low cost. 

Unknown players from different clubs is the whole point 

your logic that Shawcross would do well for us just because Huth did is just plain wrong

in my opinion Shawcross is absolute pants but respect your view is different

we are much more likely to sign a centre back from the lower leagues than we are Shawcross 

3 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

Unknown players from different clubs is the whole point 

your logic that Shawcross would do well for us just because Huth did is just plain wrong

in my opinion Shawcross is absolute pants but respect your view is different

we are much more likely to sign a centre back from the lower leagues than we are Shawcross 

The fact Shawcross has managed to play in a mid-table Premier league team is a complete mystery to me. He is absolutely pants IMO too

I think he was decent about 4-5 years ago, but everytime I have seen him since over the last few years, he has had some shockers. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Depends if we think benny has a permanent future at this level - whilst he was great in a solid defensive strategy Wednesday night I worry about him against the top half sides with less protection in front of him. 

Luis Hernandez looked good in a three against Barca last weekend 

Benny was immense on weds night. I'd be happy for him to be considered one of our 4 CB's for next year, with Amartey a utility player for CB, RB and DCM if needed. 

Gibson, Huth, Wes, Benny, Amartey for next season, then look to bring another top young CB in the following year to pair with Gibson long-term

Ryan Shawcross is leaning towards a departure from Stoke City this summer despite the club wanting to offer him a new contract.

Newcastle United are leading the chase for the 29-year-old centre-back who has just one year left on his current deal while Brighton and Leicester City have also shown interest.

Shawcross has been a mainstay of Stoke's defence since he joined from Manchester United just over nine years ago yet the club has allowed his contract to run down. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4414346/Stoke-captain-Ryan-Shawcross-eyeing-summer-transfer.html#ixzz4eKxG0RrU 

Archived