Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

We could get away with only 3 CB options next

season, with Amartey covering CM/CB.

Problem is if we have 4 CB's on our books next season we won't be able to keep the 4th choice happy.

My bet is we'll persist with a back four, so you'll automatically have at least two first-team centre-backs who need a lot of patience. Or cup matches.

54 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not overly keen on short cb's given we've got  small players all over the pitch.

Height is a myth. Smaller guys generally have a better leap too and win more in the air 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Height is a myth. Smaller guys generally have a better leap too and win more in the air 

Agreed. Vardy is no giant and he's probably our best headerer of the ball. Always have faith in him winning flick ons despite him not being the tallest. 

1 hour ago, Adster said:

Agreed. Vardy is no giant and he's probably our best headerer of the ball. Always have faith in him winning flick ons despite him not being the tallest. 

Funny, I've never noticed that, he rarely seems to win the forward hoofs I always think, perhaps I haven't watched closely enough.

I like big and strong at centre back. Huth but faster and better on the ball.

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Funny, I've never noticed that, he rarely seems to win the forward hoofs I always think, perhaps I haven't watched closely enough.

I like big and strong at centre back. Huth but faster and better on the ball.

Christopher Jullien.....

18 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Should mean Wasilewski is likely to leave/retire if we acquire Gibson.

out of contract this summer.

16 hours ago, Ashley said:

15 hours ago, Babylon said:

That's absolute crap. 

not total crap. Speedie Keegan Cottie and loads more prove you don't have to be tall to win headers.

Similar to the short keeper crap. Paul Cooper saved more pens than anyone. And I don't remember him struggling with cross like Kasper has.

Iain Hume was 5'7 and he won a lot of headers against big CBs. 

Having said that, I'd rather have CBs who are above 6'0 tall.

56 minutes ago, sylofox said:

not total crap. Speedie Keegan Cottie and loads more prove you don't have to be tall to win headers.

Similar to the short keeper crap. Paul Cooper saved more pens than anyone. And I don't remember him struggling with cross like Kasper has.

Yes, it is total crap... smaller guys do not generally win more in the air. Nobody has said it's impossible, but generally the taller players win out because... well they are taller.

6ft4" and above

Mertesacker 77% Aerial duals won

McAuley 69%

6ft 3" / 6ft 4"

Virgil VD 73%

Smalling 68%

Cahill 62%

Huth 53% (previous seasons 62%+)

6 ft 2" or under

Gibson 51%

Benalouanne 44%

Chester 54%

Ben Mee has a very respectable 61% this year, but he's still way off the majority of tall CB's.

Yes, age will make a difference a young CB will have that spring and an aging CB will lose it (See Huth's yearly deterioration). But height will win out more often than it won't. If that wasn't the case you'd have high jump and basketball wouldn't be dominated by huge people.

Players with the most aerials won per game in the league (obviously how a team plays can dictate this so not as accurate as percentages won like the above. But the trend is there. Only three people under 6ft 2".

Benteke 6ft 3"

Carroll 6ft 4"

Crouch 6ft 7"

Deeney 6ft

Vokes 6ft 2"

Negrado 6ft 1"

VVD 6ft 4"

Lloriente 6ft 4"

Keane 6ft 3"

Otamendi 6ft

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 13.39.32.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 13.55.09.png

Glad we're starting to think long-term from the back shoukd we get him, now we've got talented youngsters up the field.

But the expectation with him will be high from the word 'go', but hope he gets a good amount of time to settle in.

On 05/05/2017 at 23:47, Wymeswold fox said:

Glad we're starting to think long-term from the back shoukd we get him, now we've got talented youngsters up the field.

But the expectation with him will be high from the word 'go', but hope he gets a good amount of time to settle in.

I don't think expectations will be that high to begin with unless a crazy price is paid. Although they looked shot earlier in the campaign, I'd be confident in any combination of Wes / Huth / Benny to start the season with (famous last words). So in that regard a new player can be eased into the team. Also you never know, Ndidi looked good straight away and if anything improved! When the scouting team get it right, they nail it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived