Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

12 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

If Palace lose against Southampton, their next 3 are Man City, Man United and Chelsea.

Does Woy then get the boot if they are suddenly 8 games without a point?

Can a team survive after going that far into the season without a point?

No, to both, hopefully.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Interesting reading the Everton forums. Despite their massive outlay and a start roughly as hard as ours their fans are not happy. They see Gylfi as a huge failure already and feel they have gone backwards. 

I think it's a good example when thinking about Leicester. Some want a bigger name manager and to splash the cash but it's no guarantee for success. 

Time will tell for us but I feel we are better than they are right now. 

I said in pre-season when people were talking up Everton at the expense of Leicester that they were shit. Their defense is full of donkeys and they don't have a goalscorer. Rooney is shit and will doom them to a relegation battle.

Loved their 3-0 thrashing in the Europa league last night.

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Interesting reading the Everton forums. Despite their massive outlay and a start roughly as hard as ours their fans are not happy. They see Gylfi as a huge failure already and feel they have gone backwards. 

I think it's a good example when thinking about Leicester. Some want a bigger name manager and to splash the cash but it's no guarantee for success. 

But Gylfi is exactly the type of player we needed. And exactly the type of player Eveeton didn't (with Barkley, AM Rooney etc.) and no striker?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought we had already proved success is not just about spending cash.

Just like other fans moaning about our possession stats. It's not how long you have the ball but what you do with it that counts.

• Like 1

Not directly a Premier League thing but Clarke Carlisle has been reported missing, as many know he attempted suicide a year or so ago so family clearly very worried again! Apparently last seen at 6am in Manchester.

Incredibly sad for someone who has done so much mental health campaigning whilst suffering himself. 

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Babylon said:

De Boer sacked and Koeman getting hammered in Europe. These "named" managers who attract the good players and are tactically superior aren't doing too well so far.

Koeman has been a good manager since he joined the Premier League. Two solid seasons with Southampton and improved Everton last season. I am not a fan of buying so many new players though. Always felt they overspent massively, especially on average players.

I understand your point about big names and great players don't always make great managers but I wouldn't put Koeman alongside De Boer. I think Koeman is a good manager.

Edited by Fox92

51 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Koeman has been a good manager since he joined the Premier League. Two solid seasons with Southampton and improved Everton last season. I am not a fan of buying so many new players though. Always felt they overspent massively, especially on average players.

I understand your point about big names and great players don't always make great managers but I wouldn't put Koeman alongside De Boer. I think Koeman is a good manager.

He did improve them last year yes but they should never have been where they were when he took over with the squad they had for me. He's an alright manager but he's nothing special 

58 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not, it's just a sly dig a people who touted people like De Boer as being worlds apart from CS, almost like it's a shoe in the fancy foreign fella everyone knows is the better bet. Or people rimming Evertons recruitment in the summer.  If CS does a shit job, I'll say it. So many people seem desperate for him to fail that they aim unwarranted and baseless critisism at times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ARTY_FOX said:

He did improve them last year yes but they should never have been where they were when he took over with the squad they had for me. He's an alright manager but he's nothing special 

I didn't say he was anything special. 

I know Roberto Martinez is a bit comical with his excuses and some decision making but at least they scored goals with him... and I can't remember too many 3-0 pastings on the bounce.

I'm sure they'll click eventually but I can't see it being in time for anything more than 8th place.

They need to spend big on a striker in January that's for sure. 

I also think, as I always have, it only solidifies just how fantastic a footballer Seamus Coleman is, how he has never got a big move when the likes of Walker and Stones have is beyond me. It also looks a little bit like Baines is starting to fade as a footballer which is understandable with his age, but the two of them on song down the wings make a massive difference for Everton. 

Edited by AjcW

6 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I know Roberto Martinez is a bit comical with his excuses and some decision making but at least they scored goals with him... and I can't remember too many 3-0 pastings on the bounce.

I'm sure they'll click eventually but I can't see it being in time for anything more than 8th place.

They need to spend big on a striker in January that's for sure. 

I also think, as I always have, it only solidifies just how fantastic a footballer Seamus Coleman is, how he has never got a big move when the likes of Walker and Stones have is beyond me. It also looks a little bit like Baines is starting to fade as a footballer which is understandable with his age, but the two of them on song down the wings make a massive difference for Everton. 

Too many slow no.10's in the team, it looked odd that they were buying the same player 3 times over, but to play them all at the same time is giving them no real width or pace in the team other than the full backs.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Too many slow no.10's in the team, it looked odd that they were buying the same player 3 times over, but to play them all at the same time is giving them no real width or pace in the team other than the full backs.

For sure! I think perhaps he is only playing them all at the minute though as he has no fit wingers.

I'm pretty sure Bolasie walks back into that team when he's fit. 

59 minutes ago, AjcW said:

For sure! I think perhaps he is only playing them all at the minute though as he has no fit wingers.

I'm pretty sure Bolasie walks back into that team when he's fit. 

Is he still out from last year or is it a new injury? I thought I'd seen his name mentioned somewhere. I'm surprised Lookman doesn't get more time, always been impressed with him when I've seen him for them. Although other fans say the same about Gray and we know he blows hot and cold.

4 hours ago, FIF said:

No, to both, hopefully.

I said in pre-season when people were talking up Everton at the expense of Leicester that they were shit. Their defense is full of donkeys and they don't have a goalscorer. Rooney is shit and will doom them to a relegation battle.

Loved their 3-0 thrashing in the Europa league last night.

It was hilarious watching the Everton defence shit themselves when the Atalanta striker got the ball. He really showed them up, great palyer.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Top Six Tacklers In The Premier League

1) Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City) - 17
2) Pedro Obiang (West Ham) - 17
3) Cédric Soares (Southampton) - 15
    Idrissa Gueye (Everton) - 15
    N'Golo Kante (Chelsea) - 15
    Christopher Schindler (Huddersfield Town) - 15

19) Nemanja Matic (Manchester United) - 10

Yes, Ndidi isn't particularly playing consistently well currently - but that shows he's still a crucial member for the team and probably somewhat underrated at times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well seems we wouldn't be playing drinkwater right now even if we had kept him, might not be match fit till January anyway lol 

Calf injury and out for 4 weeks - I think we'll see Silva play in a city shirt before DD plays for Chelsea :D

• Like 2

Well BHA and Bournemouth is boring so far.

Bournemouth a lot of huff and puff with nothing in the last third. Brighton can't even get to the last third. poor, Poor.

So,so boring.

Edited by Guest