Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

On 2/24/2018 at 16:30, Anorak said:

It'd be a great achievement for them to get in the Europa but it has the potential to really mess them up next season.

A lot of the fans - not me - want to see Burnley in Europe but I very much doubt that Dyche does - squad not enough depth (see what a few injuries have done to us since Brady etc got injured).

Seventh would be great but 8th,9th or 10th would reflect a decent season. Anyway, refs like Madley, Mason and Oliver are doing their utmost to make sure Burnley don't finish 7th with bad decisions or selling clever dummies (Madley)..

1 hour ago, lancyclaret said:

A lot of the fans - not me - want to see Burnley in Europe but I very much doubt that Dyche does - squad not enough depth (see what a few injuries have done to us since Brady etc got injured).

Seventh would be great but 8th,9th or 10th would reflect a decent season. Anyway, refs like Madley, Mason and Oliver are doing their utmost to make sure Burnley don't finish 7th with bad decisions or selling clever dummies (Madley)..

You haven't won since 12 December. I'd argue that the only reason you are in seventh place right now is the ineptitude of any team below you, including (and especially) us, to put a run together and overtake you.

I always find it amazing how every referee, no matter which club, has a conspiracy against all 20 PL teams if you speak to some fans of each club.

2 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

I understand the qualms about squad size and the impact on next season etc, but seriously what is the point of supporting a football club if it's not to enjoy the success? Yes missing out could help the club stabilise more next season; but on the reverse you could still go on to get relegated and also have missed out an opportunity of sampling the delights of Eastern Europe and potentially some fantastic European clubs coming to Turf Moor and visiting their grounds too.  

If Stoke are to go down this season I sincerely hope that their fans look back at the years they've spent in the PL and achieved mid-table obscurity over and over again, and also the time that they played a weakened side in the latter stages of the Europa League because they weren't mid-table enough in the PL. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I understand the qualms about squad size and the impact on next season etc, but seriously what is the point of supporting a football club if it's not to enjoy the success? Yes missing out could help the club stabilise more next season; but on the reverse you could still go on to get relegated and also have missed out an opportunity of sampling the delights of Eastern Europe and potentially some fantastic European clubs coming to Turf Moor and visiting their grounds too.  

If Stoke are to go down this season I sincerely hope that their fans look back at the years they've spent in the PL and achieved mid-table obscurity over and over again, and also the time that they played a weakened side in the latter stages of the Europa League because they weren't mid-table enough in the PL. 

absolutely this, i'd take the Europa league group stages and relegation next season if i was a burnley fan any day of the week. no offence but they're going to go down sometime soon anyway. if they finish 8th, 16th then bottom is that better than finishing 7th, getting inter milan or Dortmund in the Europa league then finishing 18th in the prem? not for the fans, nah. 

i'd be amazed if burnley ever have a chance to get into Europe again in my lifetime, take it whilst you can. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

You haven't won since 12 December. I'd argue that the only reason you are in seventh place right now is the ineptitude of any team below you, including (and especially) us, to put a run together and overtake you.

I always find it amazing how every referee, no matter which club, has a conspiracy against all 20 PL teams if you speak to some fans of each club.

also yeah, 3 months without winning a game is not the referee's fault. one or two games maybe. scoring 1 goal (an own goal) against Swansea, Newcastle, brighton, Huddersfield & palace in the past few games is just the fact that they're actually rubbish. 

3 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Just think of the away days. I had some incredible trips last season. Something I never really thought I’d do. 

28 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

Just think of the away days. I had some incredible trips last season. Something I never really thought I’d do. 

hell yeah. i’d take a handful of euro aways next year over a lifetime of sunday lunchtime kick offs at bournemouth etc 

LancyClaret let's see if you're saying that in a months time when we're battling for the spot lol 

Can't wait to have a little rivalry with Burnley again. Some fvcking deluded fans invaded here when we won the Champ!

I don't get why the English teams don't take the europa league serious. Especially as you may not get it again for a long period of time. Would be great to play in it and get as far as possible and it's a trophy to be won. Then champions league the season after if you win it. 

Pretty amazing hearing over and over, every Man City player go on about how much they love training and learning and playing under Pep... got to be something in it, not just “buying success” 

3 minutes ago, Md9 said:

I don't get why the English teams don't take the europa league serious. Especially as you may not get it again for a long period of time. Would be great to play in it and get as far as possible and it's a trophy to be won. Then champions league the season after if you win it. 

It's because English sides prioritise competitions based on money.

Premier League survival, and even placing, is worth a lot more than any other competition. Qualify for Europa League and it's seen as an inconvenience and a potential hinderance to survival in the PL - as the Burnley fan has demonstrated.

What are a club like Burnley (and us too, to be fair) actually playing for if they don't have ambitions of Europe? Survival year on year? Fun.

It's same with the FA Cup and League Cup. Do well in them with your first XI and you might finish a couple of places lower. 

There's a massive disconnect between the priorities of clubs and the priorities of their fans.

Competition and ambition is screwed at the top level here.

Genuinely thought Kompany was like 28 tops. Seeing them talk about how he's at the end of his career so I Wikipedia'd him. He's 31 (nearly 32)! I remember him being immense on Pro Evo back in the day and he was like 17 then. Where did the bloody time go?

Edited by Ozwin

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's because English sides prioritise competitions based on money.

Premier League survival, and even placing, is worth a lot more than any other competition. Qualify for Europa League and it's seen as an inconvenience and a potential hinderance to survival in the PL - as the Burnley fan has demonstrated.

What are a club like Burnley (and us too, to be fair) actually playing for if they don't have ambitions of Europe? Survival year on year? Fun.

It's same with the FA Cup and League Cup. Do well in them with your first XI and you might finish a couple of places lower. 

There's a massive disconnect between the priorities of clubs and the priorities of their fans.

Competition and ambition is screwed at the top level here.

It is crazy that for a few extra mill per place that no one wants to do well in the europa league or even any domestic cup. Being between 10 and 16 places  in the league every year would be boring with no cup runs or even a challenge at the europa spots. I think teams should just take advantage and enjoy it because they won't come around often. Look at Everton and Southampton not exactly doing amazing since there europa adventures. We didn't do great ourselves in the league while we had the champs league but we survived and had a great run which no one would have expected. Personally I would love to go all out and try win the cups. We don't have to make massive changes to the team just rest 1 or 2 don't make 11 changes and risk being knocked out.

hope this makes sense ??

• Like 1

Xhaka and Ramsey stroll around in a cup final and then get handed shirts for the next league game, it devalues the badge, shirts (as in places in the team) should be earned and justified. That crying kid showed more emotion for his club than tweedle dum and tweedle dumber. We have something special at our club, when standards fall below expectations there's a reaction and some fighting spirit, Arsenal are just a collection of International footballers on a decent wage who happen to be at the same club as each other, no heart, no unity, the OTT selfies are a cringeworthy example of trying too hard to compensate for a bond that's not present naturally. Who are ya? Classless oiks!

Wenger has to stay in charge though until we do them 5-0 at the KP in a few weeks time...would be hilarious if Wenger got sacked before he got back to London!

• Like 1