Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We can't even pip a Burnley side that haven't won in nearly 3 months to 7th. Arsenal will finish 6th by default. They're awful but so is everyone else.

75% of this league is absolutely garbage. I know it doesn't fit the rhetoric but surely this league isn't collectively stronger than it was when we won the league.

I can't believe how much the standard of this league has nosedived.

The league is stronger but the power is concentrated in the top 5 clubs. Thus we see almost a two tier league. Really Arsenal should also be in that top echelon but through Wenger are slipping. And yet Everton and us who have good resources behind us are still well off the pace. 6th was there to be grabbed this year. 

The top 5 teams deserve credit. Their performances in Europe have been excellent and if we end up with 4 teams in the Quarter Finals then I think it proves the league has improved. But as you say 3/4 of the teams are gash!

Edited by StriderHiryu

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We can't even pip a Burnley side that haven't won in nearly 3 months to 7th. Arsenal will finish 6th by default. They're awful but so is everyone else.

75% of this league is absolutely garbage. I know it doesn't fit the rhetoric but surely this league isn't collectively stronger than it was when we won the league.

I can't believe how much the standard of this league has nosedived.

Totally agree with you, the standard of the Premier league has dropped not just over the past 3 seasons but substantially over the last 10 -15 years, the top 5 are stronger than when we won it but the rest of the league is devoid of any real quality.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The league is stronger but the power is concentrated in the top 5 clubs. Thus we see almost a two tier league. Really Arsenal should also be in that top echelon but through Wenger are slipping. And yet Everton and us who have good resources behind us are still well off the pace. 6th was there to be grabbed this year. 

The top 5 teams deserve credit. Their performances in Europe have been excellent and if we end up with 4 teams in the Quarter Finals then I think it proves the league has improved. But as you say 3/4 of the teams are gash!

Man City are obviously excellent, Liverpool are very hard to knock at the minute and Spurs are good as well. Chelsea and Man Utd aren't great to watch but are both still pretty good sides. Arsenal could've been pipped to 6th if anyone else was any good. They've become like what Everton were, and Everton have become one of the rest.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Man City are obviously excellent, Liverpool are very hard to knock at the minute and Spurs are good as well. Chelsea and Man Utd aren't great to watch but are both still pretty good sides. Arsenal could've been pipped to 6th if anyone else was any good. They've become like what Everton were, and Everton have become one of the rest.

It's so frustrating that if we'd put Everton, Swansea and Stoke away like we should have done, we would have been right behind them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, weller54 said:

I love a Sane too... 

Bacon with brown sauce is my favourite! 

Mine too - but I've seen people put tomato ketchup on theirs - disgusting, filthy habit popular with Arsenal fans I believe.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

It's so frustrating that if we'd put Everton, Swansea and Stoke away like we should have done, we would have been right behind them.

Palace home, Swansea home, Stoke home, West Brom home, Watford away and Everton away. We took 3 points from a possible 18 there. If we take 12 points there, we're level with Arsenal with them still to come here, and regardless of the history that's a very winnable game the way they're playing.

We've gone up the table but I can't help but feel it could be better.

47 minutes ago, jumbo747 said:

Mine too - but I've seen people put tomato ketchup on theirs - disgusting, filthy habit popular with Arsenal fans I believe.

Morons!.. 

Spud fans refuse to use the sachets of tomato sauce.. They'll only use it from a 'bottle'! 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Palace home, Swansea home, Stoke home, West Brom home, Watford away and Everton away. We took 3 points from a possible 18 there. If we take 12 points there, we're level with Arsenal with them still to come here, and regardless of the history that's a very winnable game the way they're playing.

We've gone up the table but I can't help but feel it could be better.

That last part echoes the Southampton fans’ view from last season- we’re starting to follow a pretty similar pattern.

Will we have more patience to let him see the project through? I’d like to think so- I get the impression that this is a long-term job for him and we badly needed a change in style, regardless of the inconsistencies we’re currently showing.

34 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

That last part echoes the Southampton fans’ view from last season- we’re starting to follow a pretty similar pattern.

Will we have more patience to let him see the project through? I’d like to think so- I get the impression that this is a long-term job for him and we badly needed a change in style, regardless of the inconsistencies we’re currently showing.

He definitely deserves a lot more time. I can see what he's trying to do but I think we're a way short of being at the level he wants yet. Although while I can see the long-term objective, I cannot explain some of his decisions in the short-term.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He definitely deserves a lot more time. I can see what he's trying to do but I think we're a way short of being at the level he wants yet. Although while I can see the long-term objective, I cannot explain some of his decisions in the short-term.

Yeah I'm the same. I want us to be a team who can control the game and create plenty of chances. For a while that's what it looked like he wanted as well, but we seem to be pretty conservative at the moment. 

I'm willing to give him plenty of time, because I can't see us being in any major relegation trouble with him in charge and his best spells as manager have come when he's been in charge for a while. I was surprised he didn't do more business in January to be fair.

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

Morons!.. 

Spud fans refuse to use the sachets of tomato sauce.. They'll only use it from a 'bottle'! 

Really? I don't really see bacon with any sauce being a great seller at white tart lane.

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Scandalous result really!

Still shows we dodged a bullet. At least we try and play a bit. They’ve spent 200m to play like that. 

I still can't beleive Sam Allardyce was apointed England manager? I mean seriously? 

As for Everton quite a few people were unconvinced with their signings at the start of the season. Looks like they have been proved right. 

Allardyce will be the first to be sacked next season. Or maybe at the end of this season. Allardyce will get you safety, after that the man's clueless.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Scandalous result really!

Still shows we dodged a bullet. At least we try and play a bit. They’ve spent 200m to play like that. 

But we both have huge piles of shite we need to move on.

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

But we both have huge piles of shite we need to move on.

Agreed but we’ve done a good job at that, even if it’s just reducing the wage bill. One thing I’ll credit Puel with is that he’s been quite ruthless in putting players who were offering nothing / little out on loan, likely without a path back. 

Everton are still spending. Walcott was a decent if pricey purchase whereas I don’t think their new frontman has scored yet? They’ve literally done everything wrong!

Anyway you don’t get any points for having a well run club, it’s all about results on the pitch. We are a much better run club but the table shows there’s not much between the sides. 

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

xkqKaaB1GEmAxMzDwkD3sHR_5tPSPJK5iMyNIOxOoPo.jpg

More proof how shocking “Premier League 2” is.... all he had to do was have a run of 8 good games and now they’re all but safe lol