Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Redouane

Mahrez to .......................?

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

But he hasnt created much this season? how would it differ?

Yes OK but most teams consider him to be our greatest threat and tightly mark him. Hence why Albrighton gets so much joy on the other flank.

Admitedly Riyad hasn't adapted well to this but we need him for the balance in our team - the X factor. Hard working teams that lack flair go down - Hull and Boro, Norwich before them, we can't create all goals on the counter attack

5 hours ago, whitlock said:

Only when he is gone will people understand how lucky we were to have a player like Mahrez play for us. Don't get me wrong he can be a frustration when things do not come off, but if it came off every time he tried something he would be a constant starter for Barca.

He's been more frustrating than good this season though.

He's probably played well in what, 1 in every 5 games or something along those lines.

Apart from last season he's never been a consistent player, this season though some of his performances have took the piss.

For a guy who could be on the brink of a move to a Champions League side, he is currently playing like the new Remy Cabella.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

apart from 

G.Boyd (M.L.R) 2.4 tackles per game average

W.ZAHA  (AM(LR)) 2.2

A.TOWNSEND 2.2

PUNCHEON 2

C STUANI 1.5

MARKOVIC 1.5

Bolasie. 1.4

sane 1.4

walcot 1.4

but going back tour your original point/question no Mahrez is not high up the list for tackling or tracking back (distance covered)

Must've been last years stats then. But the point I'm making is that players like Mahrez shouldnt need to track back as much, because of his contribution the other end of the field (sigh) you don't see Hazard/Sanchez in that list. Even though his contribution has been lacking attacking wise this year lets be fair he's still our main spark, probably alongside Albrighton. For an attacking flair player I think he does a solid amount of defending. Not sure I've explained myself very well but I do like Mahrez and think he gets treated exceptionally poorly 

4 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Must've been last years stats then. But the point I'm making is that players like Mahrez shouldnt need to track back as much, because of his contribution the other end of the field (sigh) you don't see Hazard/Sanchez in that list. Even though his contribution has been lacking attacking wise this year lets be fair he's still our main spark, probably alongside Albrighton. For an attacking flair player I think he does a solid amount of defending. Not sure I've explained myself very well but I do like Mahrez and think he gets treated exceptionally poorly 

sanchez makes 1.4 a match didnt add him because i thought you said wingers, hazard makes the same amount as mahrez.

Mahrez has great talent but you have to ask yourself has he been unhappy for a majority of the season, he has massively disappointed he hasnt been half the player he was last year in the league, does his form warrant constant selection?

30 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Surprisingly sensible

I'm a little biased but i'm not stupid. Do you think I liked it when we lost by 6, especially to spurs of all people.

The team needs to change, big time! I don't think we can keep on this 4-4-2 lineup, and more importantly, we can't keep up with going with just 1 plan, we need a plan B and a plan C.

Dembèlè showed how much of a deference a box to box mid can offer, and frankly, for me, drinky is running out of time.

The only safe players in this team are Kasper, n'didi and vardy. (And to a lesser degree simo and fuchs) All the other positions need an upgrade. (Especially CB,CM,LW,RW and CF)

11 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

sanchez makes 1.4 a match didnt add him because i thought you said wingers, hazard makes the same amount as mahrez.

Mahrez has great talent but you have to ask yourself has he been unhappy for a majority of the season, he has massively disappointed he hasnt been half the player he was last year in the league, does his form warrant constant selection?

I don't , no. I've said all year Gray deserves a chance, but what I really have an issue with is this constant Mahrez slating.

49 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He's been more frustrating than good this season though.

He's probably played well in what, 1 in every 5 games or something along those lines.

Apart from last season he's never been a consistent player, this season though some of his performances have took the piss.

For a guy who could be on the brink of a move to a Champions League side, he is currently playing like the new Remy Cabella.

Very objective statement from someone who wishes Mahrez goes to another club and fails ?!?!  Yeah, keep banging the leaky drums ...

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

apart from 

G.Boyd (M.L.R) 2.4 tackles per game average

W.ZAHA  (AM(LR)) 2.2

A.TOWNSEND 2.2

PUNCHEON 2

C STUANI 1.5

MARKOVIC 1.5

Bolasie. 1.4

sane 1.4

walcot 1.4

but going back tour your original point/question no Mahrez is not high up the list for tackling or tracking back (distance covered)

i'd say albrighton is better defensively out of all them players. stats don't show everything.

5 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

i'd say albrighton is better defensively out of all them players. stats don't show everything.

"Albrighton is on another level to any other winger defensively mind I think"

the point someone made

so tackling is not a big part of defending?

how can he be on another level to wingers that actually tackle more thats over 35 games

10 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

the point someone made

how can he be on another level to wingers that actually tackle more thats over 35 games

You cherry picked one stat, tackling. What about positional awareness, tracking back, covering your full back, interceptions, clearances, blocks, etc. Like I said, stats don't show everything. We were muck for 6 months mate, so this season our players individual statistics probably aren't that much better from Sunderland's lol.

However just by watching Albrighton week in week out you should know his defensive game is of a very high level.

6 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

You cherry picked one stat, tackling. What about positional awareness, tracking back, covering your full back, interceptions, clearances, blocks, etc. Like I said, stats don't show everything. We were muck for 6 months mate, so this season our players individual statistics probably aren't that much better from Sunderland's lol.

However just by watching Albrighton week in week out you should know his defensive game is of a very high level.

cherry picked the main stat for defending, nor is he the top at interceptions 

to say someone is on another level implies they are the best defensive winger in the league by some distance thats clearly not the case, regardless of team form if anything that would help as there would be more defending to do

"However just by watching Albrighton week in week out you should know his defensive game is of a very high level."

There is a difference between saying his is on another level, and is at a high level. Read the previous posts!!

Just now, HankMarvin said:

cherry picked the main stat for defending, nor is he the top at interceptions 

to say someone is on another level implies they are the best defensive winger in the league by some distance thats clearly not the case, regardless of team form if anything that would help as there would be more defending to do

"However just by watching Albrighton week in week out you should know his defensive game is of a very high level."

There is a difference between saying his is on another level, and is at a high level. Read the previous posts!!

I think you're reading too much into my comment mate. 

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

No just reading it as its written 

I also said 'I think' then if you're reading it as it's written. Didn't provide any stats or figures just my opinion. Which I stand by. I don't think there's (m)any wingers in the league better than Albrighton defensively

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

the point someone made

Tackling is the most overly and wrongly used defence stat.

Pablo Maldini, one of the best defenders of all time averaged 0.5 tackles a game in his career. He famously said "if I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake".

Tracking, positioning and awareness are far more important than tackling.

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Jesus, we're going to create so few chances when Mahrez is gone.

When we're off our game, disjointed and struggling to break teams down, his flair always creates the gaps.

Look forward to 0-0s and 0-1 losses at home to Burnley and West Brom next year. Jesus.

Look at Crystal Palace and you'll get the idea

The last time before last season when Mahrez was in an inconsistent spell was the great escape period, we had no problem sticking the ball in the net. If anything it would prove an over-reliance on him. 

6 hours ago, Thracian said:

I don't disagree at all.

But, he was what he was last season due to a slight element of surprise. Teams are now happy to send a DM over to help the full back, because they can take the chance on leaving space for Okazaki. Yes we helped him, but he must be getting frustrated at our style of play. He will fell he's gone as far as he can with us I fear. 

14 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I don't disagree at all.

But, he was what he was last season due to a slight element of surprise. Teams are now happy to send a DM over to help the full back, because they can take the chance on leaving space for Okazaki. Yes we helped him, but he must be getting frustrated at our style of play. He will fell he's gone as far as he can with us I fear. 

This. Okazaki was running towards the Peno box and Mahrez was free, instead of going to close Okazaki down, the defender sprinter Straight to Mahrez. Think this was Watford game..

46 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I don't disagree at all.

I noticed that he kept putting his arms on the air for a pass and not one of our players gave him the ball. If we had a mid that can pick a pass in a matter of seconds, riyad would've gotten a lot more 1 v 1's

But it seems that he is gone, and that's probably the best for all parties.

3 hours ago, the fox said:

I noticed that he kept putting his arms on the air for a pass and not one of our players gave him the ball. If we had a mid that can pick a pass in a matter of seconds, riyad would've gotten a lot more 1 v 1's

But it seems that he is gone, and that's probably the best for all parties.

Agreed, we're too slow to get the ball out to him, and by the time we do its 2/3 v 1 because the opposition are very happy for Danny Simpson and Okazaki to receive the ball because of the non existent threat they pose 

6 hours ago, Kierzz said:

Pablo Maldini, one of the best defenders of all time averaged 0.5 tackles a game in his career. He famously said "if I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake".

Ridiculous point

lets talk about a player that played in a team that dominated games and won the following

3X CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNER

7X ITALIAN CHAMPION

2X EUROPEAN CHAMPION CLUBS' CUP WINNER

7X ITALIAN SUPER CUP WINNER

1X FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP WINNER

7X UEFA SUPERCUP WINNER

2X INTERCONTINENTAL CUP WINNER

1X COPPA ITALIA PRIMAVERA WINNER

Do you not think that average tackles per game had something to do with him playing is one of the most successful Italian sides in the modern era and thus not having to do much defending.

7 hours ago, Kierzz said:

Maldini and Xabi Alonso might have been up there with Europe's top players but they would clearly have been shit managers with the shite they talk. Great footballers don't always make intelligent people. There is not a successful team in history who haven't had players who could win the ball. You can be as silky as you like but if you can't get the ball off the opposition you have no hope of scoring.

And tackles have nothing to do with you already having made a mistake, it's to do with the opposition player making the mistake of giving you a chance to tackle them. And positioning alone won't win you the ball either. Messi couldn't care less if you're standing in the right place, make a rubbish challenge and all of a sudden you'll be standing in the wrong place.

By their logic, there is no point in challenging for a header (nothing more than an aerial tackle) because that means you've already screwed up something. What a load of absolute nonsense.

Quite what this has to do with Mahrez, who was useless at defending even when he was in the top 3 Premier League players of last season, I'm not sure.

Kante must be a total donkey with all those tackles he makes.

'Kante, one of the best players in the Premier League since he's been here, averages more tackles per game than any other player'.

Love stats.

If he wants to go we can't stop him whatever his desire is, Yes it'll be pretty shit for him to go to another premier League club but what we don't do like we did with Kante is let him go on the cheap £50m at least as when we sold Kante it felt like we'd been mugged by Chelsea !!

All we can so tho is thanks Riyad for all the good memories and good luck in you're future career,but I'm so hoping we fill his exit with a decent player yes Gray is superb but he's still growing in the game !!

Archived