Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Drayton Manor incident

Fvckin hell thats awful. 

My 10 year old daughter is currently away on a school trip at the Isle of Wight. 

My heart goes out to the parents of this poor child. What a nightmare. 

Horrific news, terribly sad. 

I've been on this ride with my children...finding it hard to work out how you could accidentally fall out and into the water unless you were standing up during the ride. It's not an especially rough ride, quite young children can go on it. There were lots of staff helping people on and off when I was last there and during the ride you sit down. You wouldn't just fall out. Maybe something malfunctioned but it

doesn't move all that fast. 

Like another poster said, Alton Towers were found responsible for the smiler accident after an investigation. It doesn't necessarily follow that Drayton Manor has done anything wrong health and safety wise here because someone has had an accident, tragic though the outcome obviously is. Thoughts to the young girl's family. 

Been on this ride many times, Very hard to see how a malfunction could cause death with this ride, the platform rotates and it can be a little awkward entering and exiting but thats it. There are some points where the boat hits the sides quite hard, if she was stood then it could cause a slip. Poor lass. RIP

Just a so sad sorry story that little is known apart from the tragic ending. Sometimes the media need to pull back from the instant news culture and let those involved have some privacy at this horrible time. Sadly we seem to live in a society that demands instant answers and explanations and somebody or something to blame. Your heart goes out to all those involved with this tragic event.

1 minute ago, katieakita said:

Just a so sad sorry story that little is known apart from the tragic ending. Sometimes the media need to pull back from the instant news culture and let those involved have some privacy at this horrible time. Sadly we seem to live in a society that demands instant answers and explanations and somebody or something to blame. Your heart goes out to all those involved with this tragic event.

i agree with this and i think they have stepped back slightly as twitter hasn't named her yet. 

3 hours ago, Karljohn said:

Been on this ride many times, Very hard to see how a malfunction could cause death with this ride, the platform rotates and it can be a little awkward entering and exiting but thats it. There are some points where the boat hits the sides quite hard, if she was stood then it could cause a slip. Poor lass. RIP

Happened over here at theme park on the goals coast, couple of people got flung out of the boat on the escalator at the end and got crushed in between the slats. Absolutely horrific. 

The park was closed for about 3 weeks before they reopened. 

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/at-least-four-people-injured-after-serious-dreamworld-incident/news-story/ab194466f5fd49e1e1c17e5468bbbd47

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If it turns out the park is liable they'll never reopen.

This is a ridiculous comment. The facts aren't even known and even if it turns out that the park is liable they'll still reopen afterwards.

Turns out she decided to stand up and swap seats with someone mid-ride. The boat hit a rock designed to change the direction of the boat as she was stood up and she fell in. There are more than enough warnings about staying in your seat during the ride, and short of having a staff member in each boat, it's impossible to enforce.

There was also a teacher in the boat with her. If anyone should be held accountable, its the teacher for allowing the student to break a blatant health and safety rule. There's absolutely no way Drayton Manor could or should be at fault for what happened.

13 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Turns out she decided to stand up and swap seats with someone mid-ride. The boat hit a rock designed to change the direction of the boat as she was stood up and she fell in. There are more than enough warnings about staying in your seat during the ride, and short of having a staff member in each boat, it's impossible to enforce.

There was also a teacher in the boat with her. If anyone should be held accountable, its the teacher for allowing the student to break a blatant health and safety rule. There's absolutely no way Drayton Manor could or should be at fault for what happened.

What?

So a teacher was meant to somehow stand up and physically prevent the children from swapping seats and now they should be held accountable?

Sure, lets charge them with manslaughter.

Wow - that really is beyond ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Apportioning blame might be a bit unfair at this early stage, especially as the theory you describe suggests a freak accident that was as much about the unfortunate timing of actions more than anything else. 

15 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Not seen this actually reported anywhere, where'd you hear it? If I was guessing I'd guess this is what happened with it saying she fell in the water rather than into to mechanism near the exit, but I've not seen it confirmed.

21 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm sure investigators will reach the right conclusions in time but am not sure this is the time to discuss it although I've already felt that reactive comments linked to what happened at Alton Towers were unfair and indefensible, especially without the facts being known.   

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

What?

So a teacher was meant to somehow stand up and physically prevent the children from swapping seats and now they should be held accountable?

That's not entirely what i was saying. It was meant more as a comment to those saying the park are responsible for the incident. Obviously i don't know if the teacher tried to get her to stay in her seat somehow, but if more news comes to light that the teacher - Who's whole purpose for being on the trip was to ensure that the students in his/her care were behaving themselves - just sat there allowing it to happen, then yes, they should shoulder some of the blame.

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not seen this actually reported anywhere, where'd you hear it? If I was guessing I'd guess this is what happened with it saying she fell in the water rather than into to mechanism near the exit, but I've not seen it confirmed.

A parent was quoted on the news this morning saying her daughter was on the ride with the girl and a teacher. Obviously it's just hearsay. But as i said above, the whole reason teachers go on these trips is to make sure the kids follow the rules, behave themselves and stay safe.

I'm not trying to say the teacher is the only reason the girl died. She was 11 years old, old enough to know that these rules about staying in her seat are there for her own safety. As tragic as the event is, She is responsible for her own death. Because of her actions, the other girls in her boat will be scarred for life, her family has lost a daughter/sister/granddaughter, and park staff (although not responsible) will no doubt carry guilt for this incident for the rest of their lives.

48 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

31 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

What?

That teacher will be going through enough right now and if this is true you can be assured the parents will press charges. not much he can do really. Ive swapped seats on the rapids before and no one cares. I know there are signs and i know i shouldn't but i did. 

the only way to fix this is seatbelts/bars but with it being near water i don't think that would be allowed. 

2 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

That teacher will be going through enough right now and if this is true you can be assured the parents will press charges. not much he can do really. Ive swapped seats on the rapids before and no one cares. I know there are signs and i know i shouldn't but i did. 

the only way to fix this is seatbelts/bars but with it being near water i don't think that would be allowed

That would cause more problems than it would solve. Like you say, with it being on water that just makes the ride more dangerous. I wonder rapids rides like this have some sort of emergency shut off to stop the jets that cause the rapids and high currents. One thing you notice when you go on river rapids rides is the huge amount of cctv cameras on the ride. Surely that means the rides are supposed to be monitored at all times. I haven't found any information on how quickly the ride can be shut down in case of an emergency. That would be a good place to start the investigation.

Archived