Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Orrere

Boro fan here - What's your thoughts on Pearson?

He basically built a premier league winning squad with Leicester City. There are question marks over his ability to manage without Shakespeare or Walsh around. I think the Derby debacle can be explained by having uncooperative senior players against him and a fickle owner undermining him. I don't think it's true that he'd need a season to rebuild, I think boro have a good core of players and Pearson would immediately do well. I would expect reaching the play-offs. The championship is a tough league though.

I don't actually believe he's tactically inflexible, like most successful managers he has his favoured playing style - a 4-4-2 with a quick transition from defence to attack. I wouldn't quite call it counter attacking just not messing around with the ball. Some might accuse him of being too direct. 

He likes to wind up the media and he's got sacked twice after falling out with owners although from a fans' perspective I don't really see why that matters. He won't leave your club a mess regardless of how things turn out.

2 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

My ambition in life is to post something on FT, possibly about NP and then have somebody, anybody, post "this" after it. wow, that would cap an amazing debut season on here for me. 

That.

Sorry I tried.

3 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

My ambition in life is to post something on FT, possibly about NP and then have somebody, anybody, post "this" after it. wow, that would cap an amazing debut season on here for me. 

that.

Edit - Dammit - beaten to it.  I am so predictable.

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Don't we just love talking about Pearson!

I bet this thread gets 20 pages.

He deserves it.

Built our club up from the abyss when we were fcuked, to a 100+ pts championship team, to ultimately the premier league title.

Is it any wonder we love talking about him!?

How any Leicester fan talks ill of him I really will never know 

I'm not his biggest fan.

He did however, with our owners, turn this club around and took us from league one to the premier league.

Aside from his personality and how he handles the media, I question him tactically. 

We had two horror runs where he didn't seem to have a clue how to get us back on track. In the Championship we went from challenging for automatic promotion to scraping into the play offs with a last minute winner at Forest on the last day. Our great escape season started well and then just fell away. It's not like Ranieri who just persisted with the same tactics week after week, Pearson seemed to be constantly changing it trying to randomly find the magic formula. He might have signed Vardy, but he also played him on the wing. :(

He's batshit and not very dynamic with his tactics.

It'll end in tears like it always does but he might give you a good time in between being hired and him losing the plot or his son being a stupid ****.

If he hires his own son again then he should never manage another club, corrupt as **** was that

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

He's batshit and not very dynamic with his tactics.

It'll end in tears like it always does but he might give you a good time in between being hired and him losing the plot or his son being a stupid ****.

If he hires his own son again then he should never manage another club, corrupt as **** was that

Never!

Pearson-main.jpg

Personally I think it's a shame he's got this difficult/lunatic tag.  Aside from abusing a fan, strangling a winger and insulting journalists he was absolutely fine.

Love the bloke but wouldn't want to spill his pint.

Believe it or not, he's quite a respectful and family-man type individual outside of the profession.

The problem appears to be that once pressure gets onto him, he can take it the wrong way.

7 hours ago, Orrere said:

Strong rumours that he's getting the job here but none of us can really work the guy out, so wondered what Leicester fans thoughts are of him since you've seen both sides of him.

from the outside looking in he romped the championship with a well built squad and there was talk of great team spirit etc.

then it all went to pot before he pulled it out the bag again.

so what are your thoughts from his time at Leicester? How does he play? What's his relationship like with the players? What where his worst attributes?

thanks!

Just as the flames of the Pearson debate on this forum were dying down, you have to come in and poor petrol all over the flickering embers!

If you haven't guessed from the responses so far, he devided opinion on here.

For those that were glad to see the back of him, I'd suggest that this was not purely for footballing reasons and more to do with Pearson's 'rough' character and the circus that it created. 

On on the other hand, those that loved him still do and would probably have him back for a third spell tomorrow. Many of us extend a great deal of credit to him for our greatest ever achievement, even if he didn't play a direct hand in things that season. 

I'd say from my limited knowledge on your team, Middlesborough and Pearson feels like they'd be a good fit, given I believe the club already has decent foundations (youth setup especially). Given time, Pearson should be able to build on those foundations so the club has an excellent setup, where it's not just about the manager, it's a group of staff all providing input into getting the best out of the players at the club.

The only danger I can see is if your fans get easily impatient... because the build tends to be more methodical and designed for longer term success rather than instant gratification, plus that Championship is a bloody tough league to get out of. 

Hope this gives you a picture of what to expect. Whatever happens, all the best for next season ?

Shaper............ Now look up Belbin and find out  what Shaper means

I wish you and him well though if he ends up with you.

Someone said earlier favourite manager ever including Claudio

Obviously missed the Bloomfield, Milne, O'Neill era,s...... oops nearly forgot Claudio Pt 1   :thumbup:

He is good at management. Which is the best compliment I can give him. He picks the right people to do the jobs that he may not be best suited too. It's what management should be. The argument that he was one of three is correct, but he had the intelligence to know the qualities of Mr Walsh and Mr Shakespeare to bring them in. Some, sometimes don't see that all he did was what every person in a management position should be doing. 

The tactics argument is a bit of a weird one. A lot of people question his ability on a tactical front. Yet, he did get the best out of the squad he always had. Ranieri, admitted he didn't change a lot when he first came in and then when he did, it all went to pot (yet is considered a good tactician by some?). In reality, if he does think he lacks something, he'll bring the right assistant to deal with this.

He has his flaws, some times, his style didn't always get the right image in the press. He needs to learn the importance in modern football of maintaining good relations with those entities that may have been treated with disdain previously. 

To sum up, with Nigel, provided he gets on with Gibson and finds the right people to fit in and do the things he isn't good at, your club will be in as a good a set of hands as it ever has been. He'll sort out those problems you may be having. 

Pearson always liked to play with 2 up front and always had attackers on the bench, no disrespect but after the season you have just had I think he would be just what the fans need plus I would imagine the chairman knows him well from when he was your captain, money to spend from selling Gibson......you will be back within 2 years!

I find it weird that people slam Claudios tactics this season, yet ignore some of the absolute shite Pearson did. Bringing on Hammond rather than Cambiasso at home to burnley, persisting with Konchesky, persisting with De Laet, not playing Albrighton, playing Vardy on the wing, thinking GTF could cut it in the prem. I'm not here to say he was a bad manager, I loved the bloke and was gutted when he left, but some people seem to forget some of the tactics he actually came out with.

On another note, I found his dealings with the media extremely entertaining, he hated the press which I dont think is a bad thing and his antics took the pressure off the team.

54 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

Shaper............ Now look up Belbin and find out  what Shaper means

I wish you and him well though if he ends up with you.

Someone said earlier favourite manager ever including Claudio

Obviously missed the Bloomfield, Milne, O'Neill era,s...... oops nearly forgot Claudio Pt 1   :thumbup:

I thought most of you would think what is he on about so......... So here it is:

SHAPERS (SH)

Personality Characteristics: Anxious, dominant, extrovert.

Some observers of teams in action have suggested that a team needs a social leader, who is the permanent head of the group, and a separate task leader, who is in charge of a specific project - much in the way that a nation needs both Head of State, who is permanent, and a Head of Government, with a specific job to do. If so, the SHAPER is the task leader and the CO-ORDINATOR is the social leader. The SHAPER is most likely to be the actual leader of the team in those cases where there is no CO-ORDINATOR, or where the CO-ORDINATOR is not in fact the leader.

SHAPERS are highly motivated people with a lot of nervous energy and a great need for achievement. They are out-going and emotional, impulsive and impatient; sometimes edgy and easily frustrated. They are quick to challenge, and quick to respond to challenge (which they enjoy and welcome). They often have rows, but they are quickly over and they do not harbour grudges. Of all the team members, they are the most prone to paranoia, quick to sense a slight and the first to feel that there is a conspiracy afoot of which they are the object or victim. They like to lead and to push others into action. If obstacles arise, they will find a way round. Headstrong and assertive, they tend to show strong emotional response to any form of disappointment or frustration.

The principal function of SHAPERS is to give shape to the application of the team's efforts, often supplying more of their own personal input than do CO-ORDINATORS. They generally make good managers because they generate action and thrive under pressure. They are well suited to making necessary changes and do not mind taking unpopular decisions. They are always looking for patterns in discussions and trying to unite ideas, objectives and practical considerations into a single feasible project, which they seek to push forward urgently to decision and action.

SHAPERS exude self-confidence, which often belies strong self-doubts. Only results can reassure them. Their drive, which has a compulsive quality, is always directed at their objectives. They are usually the team's objectives too, but then SHAPERS, much more than CO-ORDINATORS, see the team as an extension of their own ego. They want action and they want it now. They are personally competitive, intolerant of woolliness, vagueness and muddled thinking, and people outside the team are likely to describe them as arrogant and abrasive. Even people inside the team are in danger of being steamrollered by them on occasions, and they can make the team uncomfortable; but they make things happen.

Remind you of anybody ?   Yep me to      :whistle:

Never gets the respect he deserves because of how he is in the media. He isn't faultless, tactically hit and miss for example.

But his blueprint is excellent. He takes a while, but if Middlesbrough got Pearson in the summer I would confidently say in three years time they will be in a better position than they were. Creates squads with excellent character, strong believer in things such as sports science etc... I think he's a great manager for the Championship and will eventually get you up and keep you up, and I hope he does too.

Derby was a debacle, but you only have to see the continuous failure at their end to see that the problem at that club may not be who the manager is.

2 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

"this"

You've achieved your ambition................. Now can you fulfill mine ?

Christina Applegate to meet me down the pub  ?

Was sad to see him go on both occasions. 

Doesn't get the credit he deserves for the job he did here.

(Maybe too many people have their heads in the sand lol)

Wish him luck if he does take the Boro job. Think he'd do well being a former player who understands the club too.

Archived