Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Orrere

Boro fan here - What's your thoughts on Pearson?

Just to add, whilst agreeing with almost everything. The tactical thing - if it's a real 50/50 stick or twist, he'll stick.  I don't remember him making a couple of substitutions at half time for instance because it was obvious the game plan didnt work.  He tends to hang on in until it's perhaps too late in the game.

But the man is a legend and will always be fondly regarded in these parts.

He's also quite refreshing to listen to, he's always accountable, avoids criticising the ref, he's articulate as well as fiercely loyal to his players and staff. I quite like his utter contempt for the football media too.

Fantastic manager, is take him back even now. Although it remains to be seen what kind of manager he is without Shaky and Steve Walsh. 

Then again, if we don't give Shakey the managers job you'll probably get him too, and we'll probably be royally ****ed

Pearson attracts a lot of criticism for his media image.

But when you listen to the things he actually said I think most fans here would stick by him to the hilt.

I don't think that after Ostrichgate, James MacArthur and FOAD he will ever change his public persona. He shouldn't have twatted a fan with FOAD, but I could forgive him for Ostrichgate even if he insulted every hostile journo in the land.

And he wouldn't be the first manager to walk out of a press conference. 

As Dylan has said he might not be the same manager without Shakey and Steve Walsh. However there are a few other people around who he might turn to, like Kevin Phillips or Chris Powell.

In the 09/10 seadon he got us within a Kermogant penalty to the Championship play off final with a mostly League One squad. We had no business being anywhere near the PL in 2010. 

He's very good at building teams. Gets deadwood out of the team and signs useful players. 

To put it into context, our current starting 11 is made of 9 Pearson signings, 1 Sven signing (Schmeichel) and 1 Ranieri signing (Ndidi). Bear in mind, Pearson left us in 2015, two years ago. We are still relying on players signed in the Pearson era.

Some of the players he & his staff signed:

Morgan - £1m

Mahrez -£400k

Huth -£3m

Vardy - £1m

Drinkwater  £1m

Fuchs - free transfer

Albrighton - free transfer

His record signing was Ulloa for  £8m, and Ulloa has served us well.

He also got the best out of aging veterans like Konchesky, Nobby Solano, Wasilewski, Steve Howard, Bruno Berner, Kevin Phillips, Chris Powell etc.

Pearson is a legend.

17 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Fantastic manager, is take him back even now. Although it remains to be seen what kind of manager he is without Shaky and Steve Walsh. 

Then again, if we don't give Shakey the managers job you'll probably get him too, and we'll probably be royally ****ed

Kept Carlisle and Southampton up without Shakey/Walsh.

I wouldn't read to much into his job at Derby considering the amount of good manager's they have sacked in recent times.

12 minutes ago, Koke said:

In the 09/10 seadon he got us within a Kermogant penalty to the Championship play off final with a mostly League One squad. We had no business being anywhere near the PL in 2010. 

He's very good at building teams. Gets deadwood out of the team and signs useful players. 

To put it into context, our current starting 11 is made of 9 Pearson signings, 1 Sven signing (Schmeichel) and 1 Ranieri signing (Ndidi). Bear in mind, Pearson left us in 2015, two years ago. We are still relying on players signed in the Pearson era.

Some of the players he & his staff signed:

Morgan - £1m

Mahrez -£400k

Huth -£3m

Vardy - £1m

Drinkwater  £1m

Fuchs - free transfer

Albrighton - free transfer

His record signing was Ulloa for  £8m, and Ulloa has served us well.

He also got the best out of aging veterans like Konchesky, Nobby Solano, Wasilewski, Steve Howard, Bruno Berner, Kevin Phillips, Chris Powell etc.

Pearson is a legend.

If it wasn't for Pearson and his staff we also wouldn't have signed Kante. As the wheels were well in motion before he left. 

I credit Pearson for our title win just as much as Ranieri, the amount of hard work and team building Pearson put in he deserves a huge amount of credit for that. Couldn't give a crap about his media failings, he's a football manager not a politician. 

Stubbornness and arrogance doesn't really bother me, in fact they are good qualities for a manager to have, I'd rather that than a manager who second guesses himself and changes things every week.

fergy

pepe

wenger

jose

all top managers, all stubborn and arrogant.

and I was never bothered about Pearson kicking off at a journalist, it's funny how football fans say journos are idiots yet the minute someone stands up to them they must be a nut job. I was more worried about fights between players but it seems it's the complete opposite with Pearson.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's not really a myth is it? He was very limited tactically. The fact we were well organised defensively is a different issue.

It took him about six months of awful experiments to find the 352 the saved us in the great escape and it was his fault we were down there in the first place.

He was really good manager here and I like the man but this forum's refusal to accept some of his faults sometimes is a bit daft.

He's slow to adapt tactically, he tends to get there in the end but the changes often take an age. Sometimes because he's totally loyal to people he believes in and wants to give them every opportunity... sometimes it feels like it's because it's admitting an error if he does.

One issue with him is using players already in the club, very often he ends up changing 90% of the squad. Unless you are lucky, he does seem like someone who fixes issues by wheeling and dealing players, rather than walking in and transforming a team with his tactics. They need to fit his philosophy, rather then adapt his to the players you already have.

4 minutes ago, Orrere said:

Stubbornness and arrogance doesn't really bother me, in fact they are good qualities for a manager to have, I'd rather that than a manager who second guesses himself and changes things every week.

fergy

pepe

wenger

jose

all top managers, all stubborn and arrogant.

and I was never bothered about Pearson kicking off at a journalist, it's funny how football fans say journos are idiots yet the minute someone stands up to them they must be a nut job. I was more worried about fights between players but it seems it's the complete opposite with Pearson.

We had few problems in the championship with him other than local radio (who is a prat anyway). It was the glare of the prem that got to him.

3 hours ago, Watson said:

We wouldn't have won the Prem without him. We may even have never got out of the championship without him. That should be all you need to know.

He's certainly not terrible tactically, but Claudio showed his experience by making some great tweaks last season.

One last thing - you always felt the club was in a safe pair of hands when he was in charge. He knows what he's doing.

Forget the PL and the Championship, we might not have ever got out of League 1 without him. 

He won us 2 titles and we reached the play offs twice, got us to Premiership safety, he built a team and backroom staff that would win us the Premiership, I'm amazed any Leicester fan has a bad word against him.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

He won us 2 titles and we reached the play offs twice, got us to Premiership safety, he built a team and backroom staff that would win us the Premiership, I'm amazed any Leicester fan has a bad word against him.

Some of our fans have a bad word for anybody and everybody, given the slightest provocation.

Archived