Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Orrere

Boro fan here - What's your thoughts on Pearson?

Good enough at championship level, if things go his way, as the world saw if the pressure is on his ego goes into overdrive, and he shows signs he cannot handle it.

Very much a split with city fans, you either loved him or hated him, I cannot take away from what he achieved here, even though I personally didn't like him or his ego.

A good manager to get you promoted, bring in young players, but once promoted he has his limitations

Thanks for the replies never expected so many so quick haha, all overwhelmingly positive.

a couple of points to reply to what you guys have said. 

Getting rid of bad eggs - One thing karanka generally did well was get good honest hard working players in, other than gaston and barragan who will leave anyway I can't see Pearson having an issue with any of them, I don't think he'd have to do a rebuild as we've got a good core of these proven hard working players, it's what got us up in the first place.

Also the lack of shakespear - With his reputation in the game id be over the moon if Pearson brought him here with him. But we also have Agnew here who seems to do the exact same job that shakespear did for Pearson. Well liked by the players and keeps the dressing room ticking over, he may not even need shakespear if he can work well with Agnew.

1 minute ago, Orrere said:

Thanks for the replies never expected so many so quick haha, all overwhelmingly positive.

Getting rid of bad eggs - One thing karanka generally did well was get good honest hard working players in, other than gaston and barragan who will leave anyway I can't see Pearson having an issue with any of them, I don't think he'd have to do a rebuild as we've got a good core of these proven hard working players, it's what got us up in the first place.

Also the lack of shakespear - With his reputation in the game id be over the moon if Pearson brought him here with him. But we also have Agnew here who seems to do the exact same job that shakespear did for Pearson. Well liked by the players and keeps the dressing room ticking over, he may not even need shakespear if he can work well with Agnew.

Is the rumour up there that Agnew will stay on as coach?

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not really a myth is it? He was very limited tactically. The fact we were well organised defensively is a different issue.

It took him about six months of awful experiments to find the 352 the saved us in the great escape and it was his fault we were down there in the first place.

He was really good manager here and I like the man but this forum's refusal to accept some of his faults sometimes is a bit daft.

There's no way a tactically inept manager can go nearly 300 games without losing by more than 2 goals. He made a below average team competitive in nearly every single game, that takes tactical ability. 

I'm not saying he's some sort of master tactician but he's by no means a bad tactician as some on here say.

9 minutes ago, Orrere said:

Anyone that doesn't buy into the team spirit or is seen to have an ego will either have to change or be sold, simple as, Pearson won't stand for people thinking they're bigger than the team

I wouldn't say tactically inept either, his change from 4 at the back to 3 at the back kept us in the league, he just won't try anything drastic like Guardiola 

And it was the foundations of his side that got us to win the league last year 

he knows what he's doing, just doesn't like people to interfere with him 

11 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Is the rumour up there that Agnew will stay on as coach?

Not so much a rumour but just generally expected to happen as Gibson seems to love the guy.

The two great advantages I would say about Pearson as a leicester manager would be 1) he always improved the team after every transfer window and 2) he creates a brilliant team environment (which of course has been crucial to our success). However, you could well argue that both of these are more prominantly down to Walsh and Shakespeare, nonetheless he put those men in place.

In my opinion he is also poor tactically, with us I thought he was too loyal to players (which I believe he partly did to improve the team environment) but since Pearson was sacked Paul Konchesky has gone from Premier league left back to Billericay town. Whether he can find another 2 assistants as good as those to help him we shall see but he is clearly good at stabilising a club in turmoil, the job he did with us was legendary.

1 minute ago, Orrere said:

Not so much a rumour but just generally expected to happen as Gibson seems to love the guy.

Agnew well respected here as well, especially for single handedly fighting the entire Millwall bench at Filbert Street many years ago...

Great man, great manager. Adored by many, hated by some.

What he did with and for us was nothing short of phenomenal, we were looking way better under Pearson than any other manager in the years before he came along.

We finally became stable, positive, a force to be reckoned with again. He took a flailing and regular underachiever and laid the foundations of what we are today. Established great team spirit and a siege mentality at the club.

As for the "tactically poor" comments, that's all subjective. I think it worked out fine, wasn't he the one who implemented and persisted with the 4-4-****ing-2 that made us so successful last season?

Also, his relationship with the media is indeed special. But I do believe he did all that odd stuff on purpose, so to shift the blame and attention away from the players and onto him.

Which I find is genius. You could equally say most managers today tend to play the media game with little to no passion at all. I don't see how giving the same lame answers in press conferences or post-match interviews is any way better or more positive than what Pearson did.

Love the man, love him as a manager: I have little to nothing negative to say about Pearson. And so should the majority of Leicester fans. The ones who dislike him see him as a stubborn, egocentric, loud-mouthed ****. But that's more down to personal antipathy than reason.

1 hour ago, Orrere said:

Also our fans seem to associate him with being a bad tempered loose cannon who causes fights in the dressing room etc. Any truth in this?

No, absolutely not.

Our teams under him over both spells had incredible spirit and togetherness even when things weren't rosy on the pitch. You can be assured any big time Charlies will be booted out as soon as possible.

He's got a very methodical approach to things off the pitch - by no means is he an impact manager, but given the chance he'll lay excellent foundations. I think he'd be a fantastic fit at a club he was respected at as a player with a chairman who's head is firmly screwed on.

I was always a staunch Pearsonite even though towards the end I grew increasingly frustrated with how he handled the premier league season.

Probably one of the most important managers in our history, to clarify we'd not have gotten promotion to the prem without Nigel at the helm and therefore would not have won the premier league. Nigel did a great job rebuilding us after relegation and winning league one and then sifting through the Sven disaster.

He will not take shit from uncommitted and unreliable players, they'll be out the door straight away. Once he gets players around him he can work with, you'll never look back.

It would be interesting to see how he gets on at Boro as he'll not have his lieutenants around him - Shakey and Walsh - this time around.

All in all, he needs time to build a team it won't happen overnight.

Just now, Mendi said:

So Pearson is really going to Boro ?

It's not nailed on it's just the current rumour going around and it's probably a likely fit for us so nobody will be surprised if it happened.

1 hour ago, FriendlyRam said:

Never got a chance at our gaffe.. Morris hired him to rebuild, started the rebuild and then morris decided he wanted martin back and didn't want a rebuild.

Gibson will be a much more suitable boss for him IMO.

Your players didn't want to play for him. 

In fairness he got sacked from derby for a very good reason not linked to results. 

Untested without the likes of Shakespeare and Walsh. Don't expect a quick fix. You'll need plenty of patience but we'd have never won the Premier League without the foundations and empire that he created.

Ask here for some more opinions :pearson:

Just now, Orrere said:

It's not nailed on it's just the current rumour going around and it's probably a likely fit for us so nobody will be surprised if it happened.

OK it may be nothing after all.

Will become more famous than the transporter bridge. He's a club builder. Much more than this head coach dross we're seeing now. He's horrible though when you go on a bad run, but then again what managers are nice to hear from when they keep losing. 

I'd be amazed if you didn't come straight back up under him.

sorted us out in the worst position in our history and also sorted us out and made pretty much the team that won the premier league. man is a hero and you'll be lucky to have him, you might need to be patient though. Especially in his second spell, first two seasons were frustrating but in the end were worth it 

Archived