Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Orrere

Boro fan here - What's your thoughts on Pearson?

It is hard to say how Pearson would do at Boro. He took over a Leicester team at its lowest ever position. Which meant he managed a big fish in a small pond and expertly guided us to the league one title. This bought himself a lot of goodwill and support and most importantly fostered a mentality of winning. If we hadn't been relegated would have come in and done the same job? I don't know, but he might not have had the room to build things on and off the pitch that he was granted.

At 'Boro if they want an instant return to the prem, they may be disappointed by Big Nige, he plays the long game and builds for the future. If Gibson buys into the project and is willing to back him in clearing out the bad eggs and bringing in his type of players, then it will work to a point.

I wouldn't call him tactically limited or naive, just stubborn. He can be accused of showing too much faith in his methods and his players and in his time at Leicester he would not change things up early in a game and he would persist with crap formations that didn't work. He did always manage to turn it around in the end.

I loved Pearson. Much has already been said, but i'll give you my take.

He was bizarre at times, but that only had me liking him more. You wouldn't hear much about what was going on in the club, transfers or disputes as he liked to keep it all in house. You did however always feel the club was in safe hands. I really found the way he treated the press a breath of fresh air. His press conferences could be as entertaining as the games.

It is true that he could be slow to change things when a game was running away from you and it could be frustrating.

His son was an absolute bellend and ultimately cost him his job. I think Nige would still be here now if it wasn't for him.

We were a managerial disaster zone before he arrived, with the last half decent manager being O'Neil. When he left the first time I was gutted. When he came the second time I was over the moon. When he left the second time I wasn't happy, but he was put in a corner by his tw@t of a son, and I cannot blame the owners for sacking him.

We never quite achieved the heady heights of football under him that we achieved last season, but he is in a large part responsible for that.

Whether he can achieve what he did here without the walsh/ shakespeare dream team, remains to be seen, but I would have him in a heartbeat. 

I've always like Boro, but admit to not knowing much about the club off field. The fact that he played there makes him a good fit and I think he would leave you club better in better shape than when he arrived.

His son is a tasteless, talent-less, clueless bin-head, and in my opinion, cost him his job.

NP would lose his shit with the media now and then - but, to be fair, most managers in the top flight have (in their own way).

We had a togetherness under Pearson which saw us navigate the great escape and which, i felt, carried over to the title-winning season.  

I'd actually like him back here with Shakey.  I don't see Shakey as a manager, but a top, top coach.  

If he goes to Boro, you'll do very well under him.  

2 hours ago, McFoxy said:

I loved Pearson. Much has already been said, but i'll give you my take.

He was bizarre at times, but that only had me liking him more. You wouldn't hear much about what was going on in the club, transfers or disputes as he liked to keep it all in house. You did however always feel the club was in safe hands. I really found the way he treated the press a breath of fresh air. His press conferences could be as entertaining as the games.

It is true that he could be slow to change things when a game was running away from you and it could be frustrating.

His son was an absolute bellend and ultimately cost him his job. I think Nige would still be here now if it wasn't for him.

We were a managerial disaster zone before he arrived, with the last half decent manager being O'Neil. When he left the first time I was gutted. When he came the second time I was over the moon. When he left the second time I wasn't happy, but he was put in a corner by his tw@t of a son, and I cannot blame the owners for sacking him.

We never quite achieved the heady heights of football under him that we achieved last season, but he is in a large part responsible for that.

Whether he can achieve what he did here without the walsh/ shakespeare dream team, remains to be seen, but I would have him in a heartbeat. 

I've always like Boro, but admit to not knowing much about the club off field. The fact that he played there makes him a good fit and I think he would leave you club better in better shape than when he arrived.

This x 1000000

He builds a team, doesn't buy one...

Yes he buys players but he'll more often than not, he buys people with potential  who will improve and grow and THATS what will get you promotion... but dont expect promotion in the first season... he'll want to ship out all the dead wood and completely  change the mentality of the dressing room... he buys hungry players who want to win and have fire in their belly... 

On 21/05/2017 at 11:34, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Best manager Leicester have ever had hands down, and it's not even close.

He's a manager who gets everything within the club right from top to bottom. He came to us and turned us from a rotten underachieving club to a well-run, united and hungry unit.

He'd be a great appointment for you at Boro, especially with him being a former player too. I hope you get him in as I like Boro.

Nonsense .....nay laughable!

Highest finish in the top tier 14th. 

Cups won 0. 

"Best manager Leicester have ever had.."

33 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Cups won 0. 

Not the best manager we've ever had - but equally far from the worst - and do the League One title trophy and the Championship title trophy not count? 

43 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Cups won 0. 

Not the best, but the most important manager Leicester ever had. He picked us up from a pit of despair and left us in a position where we could push on and win the bloody Premier League.

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Not the best, but the most important manager Leicester ever had. He picked us up from a pit of despair and left us in a position where we could push on and win the bloody Premier League.

Most important.......I can see where you coming from with that ??

47 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Cups won 0. 

The best at least in modern years. Took us our lowest point ever in League 1 to the Premier League and would have kicked on from there. Ahead of MoN in terms of his legacy in how he's left the club. I'm not commenting on Ranieri who is a fraud. Not old enough to remember the Bloomfield and Gillies years but that's another era as far as I'm concerned.

22 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

The best at least in modern years. Took us our lowest point ever in League 1 to the Premier League and would have kicked on from there. Ahead of MoN in terms of his legacy in how he's left the club. I'm not commenting on Ranieri who is a fraud. Not old enough to remember the Bloomfield and Gillies years but that's another era as far as I'm concerned.

Look Pearson did very when he was with us and rebuilt the club in terms of infrastructure etc, I'm not denying that, and that's the area for which most of the credit should be showered upon him.

Winning league 1 the lowest point we've ever been? he couldnt do more than win it - but my cat would have got us promoted that year with the players we had compared to the opposition; and she's no football expert I can tell you. 

Great Championship victory - no argument.

14th PL - highly questionable performance 

ONeill on the other hand - multiple PL TOP 10 finishes, 3 cup finals and 2 cups won.

Yet you said Pearson was "our best manager ever and it's not even close"

I note now you've added the caveat 'of the modern era' which I would argue does include ONeill but maybe we are of a different age group.

I believe you may also overlooked the fact somebody else won the PL league for us last season! 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 16:04, Finnegan said:

To be honest, we have no idea what Pearson would be like for you. You'd be better off asking a Derby fan, as much as some of Pearson's biggest fans on here would deny that.

The reason I say that is that we never had Pearson the individual, we had Pearson the third of a three man team. 

I think Walsh, Pearson and Shakespeare are the perfect combination to take over a team like Boro, rebuild, get you ready for another push on promotion and probably keep you up.

But you're not going to get all three. Pearson has very little experience managing without his two wingmen.

What we always knew about Pearson was twofold. First, that he's a builder of good squads. Second, that he's great at bonding a dressing room.

Since his departure, we've learned that Walsh was primarily the man for recruitment and most recently we've learned that Shakespeare was the man that kept the dressing room ticking. It makes you wonder if, actually, Nigel was the least necessary of the three and the fact that Ranieri came in and took us to whole new heights with the other two in place probably points to an answer.

Still, Pearson clearly still understands the merits of having the right people around, embracing modern ideas like sports science and nutrition, if he can find another good scout to bring in some gems and get the squad to buy in to his work ethic then who knows? Best of luck to you really.

Would be good to see Pearson succeed at M'Boro if he landed the job for next season. At Derby early doors last season I think his no.2 was Chris Powell, who he'd also worked with here (Powell being player/coach in the successful first season back in the Championship, 2009/10) but as others have said, Pearson minus Shakespeare and Walsh at Derby appeared to lose his way whilst there, despite having his previous colleague Powell to work with. Therefore debatable as to how he'd fare at 'Boro without his two 'wingmen' but definitely worth a go......! 

14 minutes ago, Guy said:

Would be good to see Pearson succeed at M'Boro if he landed the job for next season. At Derby early doors last season I think his no.2 was Chris Powell, who he'd also worked with here (Powell being player/coach in the successful first season back in the Championship, 2009/10) but as others have said, Pearson minus Shakespeare and Walsh at Derby appeared to lose his way whilst there, despite having his previous colleague Powell to work with. Therefore debatable as to how he'd fare at 'Boro without his two 'wingmen' but definitely worth a go......! 

Why would it be good to see him succeed -  he's not our manager ffs! 

I propose a new Forum; Pearson Talk to cater for the uncontrollable love fest for NP, so it doesn't contaminate this one any longer. 

47 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Why would it be good to see him succeed -  he's not our manager ffs! 

I propose a new Forum; Pearson Talk to cater for the uncontrollable love fest for NP, so it doesn't contaminate this one any longer. 

Regardless of what's happened since then the bloke was a legend for us, simple! Would like to see him back here as before but unlikely.....so will still wish him well if he does end up elsewhere. Surprised you feel differently.........

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'm not commenting on Ranieri who is a fraud.

I think calling someone a fraud is,  by definition,  commenting. 

I think flawed for sure, but you don't manage for that long with the successes he had by being a fraud. 

It's yet another word that has lost meaning through indiscriminate use. 

I think Middlesbrough just became my Championship team for which to root!  I always thought them a likable club.

Bonus fact -- Robby Mustoe, one of the studio presenters on NBCSN (and very perceptive, except for getting Leicester predictions wrong last year :)), was mostly a career Middlesbrough man.  Another good reason to root for them.

I used to think he was great, I now can't decide if he was just incredibly lucky to have picked the best backroom staff you could ask for in Walsh and Shakey.

You look at who we signed even in league one. Cleverley, Davies, Hobbs, Keane, Tunchev, Berner, waghorn, spearing, knockaert, vardy, mahrez, James, Drinkwater. I know a random mix there but all did v good for us and we're pretty much unknown. Can't judge how much was actually down to Pearson or just quality scouting, I suggest the latter. Also you talk about team spirit, no doubt he got some of that going at Leicester, but again look at Shakespeare and what we're doing now, how much was down to him?

in summary, you can do a lot worse, if in your position and he got Pearson, I'd probably be happy

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Look Pearson did very when he was with us and rebuilt the club in terms of infrastructure etc, I'm not denying that, and that's the area for which most of the credit should be showered upon him.

Winning league 1 the lowest point we've ever been? he couldnt do more than win it - but my cat would have got us promoted that year with the players we had compared to the opposition; and she's no football expert I can tell you. 

Great Championship victory - no argument.

14th PL - highly questionable performance 

ONeill on the other hand - multiple PL TOP 10 finishes, 3 cup finals and 2 cups won.

Yet you said Pearson was "our best manager ever and it's not even close"

I note now you've added the caveat 'of the modern era' which I would argue does include ONeill but maybe we are of a different age group.

I believe you may also overlooked the fact somebody else won the PL league for us last season! 

With Nigel Pearsons team!

Sunderland would be a better choice for him, he must be very interested in the role there - especially now after Moyes has left.

A wounded animal in the sport, with just about saving themselves season upon season and possibly having players that are on big wages but don't perform or are over-rated talent.

Thus, they're a club that needs a big clear out and, like Aston Villa, might need a few seasons to sort themselves out and challenge the right way again. Pearson seems to love projects on tight budgets etc and the Black Cats opportunity may be the best one available for a while.

-

Whereas Middlesbrough seem well-run regarding the team, but just need goalscorers to help them back up but also can maintain the goals in the PL.

Archived