Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

35 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I've not seen much in any of his appearances to suggest he's going to make a big difference to the team. Plenty of time for that to change though.

Hopefully will at least give us the option of three in the middle and him sitting though, because if we play him in a two people will soon start slating him.

That will be the same for any midfielders we have unless one of them is N'golo

Kante.  We proved last year that over the course of the season, a two man midfield just doesn't cut it.

Drinky slated, James slated, Ndidi slated, Amartey slated, King slated.

If we're going to stop bypassing the midfield and actually playing some possession based football, we need 3 in the middle.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Just wondering if Nacho could solve our creative midfielder problem if he

plays a slightly withdrawn role ... he seems an excellent passer of the ball.

If could, if selected...............

9 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I thought it was a lot slower paced and a lot less physical than I remember Family Night Football being back in the 90s. Might be me. I'm not sure how much more useful than a training game it could be for getting people up to speed.

Iborra stood out because he's clearly a footballer and a fair few out there weren't. Josh Gordon was an example of someone who looked a light year away, as it stands, though that could change. Iborra was well off the pace defensively, though. I suppose that could be down to how much he was willing to stretch himself.

Thomas seems to have a problem judging the distance of his delivery. He did well but his crossing looked oddly amateurish at times.

Iheanacho did well, but if his toe's hurting him as much as it appears to be you're best off sticking a camera in there (if you can do that with toes) or giving him 2-3 weeks recovery time. Go with Okazaki / Slim or 4-2-3-1 (if we have the personnel) and get him to hit the ground running. If there's a player lurking deep within Musa, now might be the moment. Don't manage the injury like we did with Drinky last year and have him perpetually off colour. Of course, it might just be one of those things that he has to work through over time.

It was interesting that we seemed to sit on the three goal lead and struggled to do so. We actually changed shape substantially when we went three up. It's interesting for two reasons - (1) that the first team CB pairing of the end of last season couldn't keep out a bunch of kids (yes, I know Huth won't be flexing his muscles in a work-out like this, but even so) and (2) that u-23 and u-18 game plans and formations usually mirror first team plans, so I hope it isn't a club-wide approach that we get into promising positions in games and then stand off. Because we don't have the players for it, it seems.

Oh, and Eppiah and Knight showed a bit of promise. Wood did fine too, without ever really excelling. Hamza was an odd one. Played a key role for us without ever really looking like a guy who'd come close to making the step-up.

Have to agree with most of this, especially Hamza. He looked solid without standing out, although there was one dodgy moment where he almost got caught dwelling on the ball as the last man.

The impression I got from Thomas is that he isn't a winger. For me he looked far more influential after we went 4-3-3 and he was on the left of the midfield 3. His set pieces were poor by and large though, which is disappointing as he's clearly a designated set-piece taker.

Gordon did OK I thought and won a surprising amount of headers.

But it did sort of seem like we were forcing the players into a 4-4-2. Granted we scored all 3 goals playing that formation but for the first 20 minutes or so West Ham's kids were keeping the ball very well and frustrating us.

It was nice to see Iborra and Huth get 90 minutes but really frustrating to see Kelechi hobbling off. I think you might be right in suggesting he just has some time off instead of continually aggravating the injury.

I thought Wood did very well actually. He got forward well and he recovered well when we lost possession. Decent delivery as well with the odd one being a bit too easy for the keeper.

I decided to head on down last night. A fun evening out without hitting any heights. 

Can't disagree with much that's on here. Of the players I'd seen little of before, Thomas and Eppiah stood out. Eppiah especially - linked up well with Nacho and has a real turn of speed about him. 

Iborra looked like a giant on the pitch. It's often about what you're doing when the camera's not on you and I thought his positioning was pretty spot on. He might have looked slow and ponderous to some but I think that might well have been his class shining through. Time will tell. 

Decent evening - worth doing.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Micky said:

opinions, opinions.... I thought Choudhury was excellent. He looks a great prospect.

Fantastic engine, bite in the tackle and can pass.

what game were you watching???    His distribution was poor last night. Too many misdirected passes and wrong options

Mo Farrah's got a fantastic engine but he wont make a footballer if he tries to over-complicate his passing

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

what game were you watching???    His distribution was poor last night. Too many misdirected passes and wrong options

Mo Farrah's got a fantastic engine but he wont make a footballer if he tries to over-complicate his passing

Nominated for player of the month. He's garbage.

I think Hamza has a great future in the leagues. Is he the finished article? No. Doeshe make mistakes? Yes. That's why he's in the development squad.

He does show great football intelligence, leadership, enormous energy and a lot of skill. He is exactly the type of player who could progress from our dev squad into the senior team. I'm not sure I've seen many hassle players at such speed, he's quite Kanté like in that respect. The coventry lad too has that same hustle that we have decided to build our identity on. He's looks a good player, just a bit worried about his height.

Knight, Wood, Pascanu (sp?), Moore, the other RB/CB, Eppiah, Ndukwu and a coupleof others have shown signs of great potential. I think some on here are dismissing them because they aren't the finished product, most of them are 18 to 21. lots of players are not the finished product at that age. For every Iheanacho/Rashford there's a Vardy.

Let's not be so critical and look at the positives and potential we are building.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I think Hamza has a great future in the leagues. Is he the finished article? No. Doeshe make mistakes? Yes. That's why he's in the development squad.

He does show great football intelligence, leadership, enormous energy and a lot of skill. He is exactly the type of player who could progress from our dev squad into the senior team. I'm not sure I've seen many hassle players at such speed, he's quite Kanté like in that respect. The coventry lad too has that same hustle that we have decided to build our identity on. He's looks a good player, just a bit worried about his height.

Knight, Wood, Pascanu (sp?), Moore, the other RB/CB, Eppiah, Ndukwu and a coupleof others have shown signs of great potential. I think some on here are dismissing them because they aren't the finished product, most of them are 18 to 21. lots of players are not the finished product at that age. For every Iheanacho/Rashford there's a Vardy.

Let's not be so critical and look at the positives and potential we are building.

If you read any of my posts you will note that I NEVER dismiss any of our young players. It is the system itself (and those responsible for it!) that are at fault and the lack of opportunity it presents. (same Academy coaching set-up we had when we were a league 1 side trying to produce players for a league 1 first team?!?)

Surely our coaching structure should have evolved in line with the higher aspirations we now have as a football club?

For the record, I agree with your comments on ALL of the players above but Moore has been shipped off to Belgium when he wanted League football experience and all of the rest will simply stagnate if they stay playing U23s football for much longer.  The key is to realise when young players need to move on/up to the next challenge and not simply keep them playing U23s football because LCFC dont want to be seen to be losing games...! 

if we fail the player, we fail the club also as we fail to make the most of what we potenially have at our disposal

My latest comment on Hamza was merely highlighting that he did NOT play well or to his usual high standards in the latest game Vs West Ham. I dont think its clever to 'blow smoke up peoples arses'  just because they round around (& often find themselves out-of-position because of it!) and im sure the player himself would be the first to admit that Monday nights game was not his finest perfromance and his passing and choice of options could have been better. He is another example of a player who is simply NOT going to gain any benefit from here-on playing U23s football if he wants to make a career in the game at senior level.  The longer he stays in U23s football, the less chance he has of achieving his full potential

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I'd really lov to know your connection to the youth set up and why you are always so negative towards every aspect of it.

be careful not to make the mistake of confusing realism and knowledge with negativity my friend...!

• Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 14:24, daddylonglegs said:

they were 13/8 to win yesterday... very easy money.

I had £25 on at that price, didn't feel comfortable putting any more on. Apart from Kelechi I had zero confidence that any of the other 4 unfit fringe first teamers would influence the game significantly. It seems like some of them may get more time in the upcoming U23 games but if the first teamers are in DM/CB/GK that doesn't help us score.

7 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Got to say i've noted this as well, it comes across as though there is a real personal axe to grind....

I'd say the opposite, they know more than your average fan who's probably actual knowledge of what goes on. The point about it being the same setup since pretty much league one days is the single biggest question mark over the whole academy. It's jobs for the boys spearheaded by Rudkin and anyone who has ever come in and tried to make changes has been ruthlessly binned. Results wise we haven't improved nor have we brought through much talent yet nothing changes, they are immune to underachievement just like our DOF is. It's no coincidence. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd say the opposite, they know more than your average fan who's probably actual knowledge of what goes on. The point about it being the same setup since pretty much league one days is the single biggest question mark over the whole academy. It's jobs for the boys spearheaded by Rudkin and anyone who has ever come in and tried to make changes has been ruthlessly binned. Results wise we haven't improved nor have we brought through much talent yet nothing changes, they are immune to underachievement just like our DOF is. It's no coincidence. 

Not being facetious, but i dont understand what youre saying in your first sentance?

3 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Got to say i've noted this as well, it comes across as though there is a real personal axe to grind....

why do people think that someone has "an axe to grind" simply because they try to enlighten others on issues within the system that needs to be improved to ensure that talented young players are given the right opportunity and pathway to develope and their talent does not go to waste...?!?

Strikes me that if you speak out about problems on this forum you get shot down by others as being "negative" or having "an axe to grind"  simply because you might know more about it than they do. 

From now on ill just happily keep my thoughts to myself and we can all rely on the LCFC media propaganda to tell us how wonderful the system is

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely spot on...!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

why do people think that someone has "an axe to grind" simply because they try to enlighten others on issues within the system that needs to be improved to ensure that talented young players are given the right opportunity and pathway to develope and their talent does not go to waste...?!?

Strikes me that if you speak out about problems on this forum you get shot down by others as being "negative" or having "an axe to grind"  simply because you might know more about it than they do. 

From now on ill just happily keep my thoughts to myself and we can all rely on the LCFC media propaganda to tell us how wonderful the system is

Just saying thats the way it comes across to me. Your view on the youth setup IS very negative so you cant really complain about people pointing that out? You seem to be affirming in the above that you do have a more in depth and perhaps inside knowledge of the accademy system(?) but as per the original post from ausfox that i was quoting, i'd love to know what that relationship is....

14 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Just saying thats the way it comes across to me. Your view on the youth setup IS very negative so you cant really complain about people pointing that out? You seem to be affirming in the above that you do have a more in depth and perhaps inside knowledge of the accademy system(?) but as per the original post from ausfox that i was quoting, i'd love to know what that relationship is....

I know someone who had been involved in the academy for a number of years and it's a recurring theme to what's been said here. Some will say it's sour grapes but others will appreciate it's the pits and it's scandalous nothing has been done about it.

• Like 4