Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

Just out of interest.. why do you think nige failed to succeed.?  Circumstances... lack of money. .. too much dross and too little time. .. tactical....?

I am surprised coz i aways thought his recruitment and man management was very good 

Edited by foxinsocks

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Just out of interest.. why do you think nige failed to succeed.?  Circumstances... lack of money. .. too much dross and too little time. .. tactical....?

I am surprised coz i aways thought his recruitment and man management was very good 

(Nigel Pearson - Craig Shakespeare) x √Steve Walsh = Dogshit

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I imagine a lot of it was simply down to culture, language and lack of knowledge of the league.

It’s not rocket science, some managers operate better at certain clubs than others and NP is no different. He succeeded at LCFC for a variety of reasons and those market conditions worked perfectly in tandem to what he brought. Obviously that tessalation is not the same at every club so in OH’s situation it didn’t work.

I think you guys need a manager, not unlike Puel bizarrely, who can operate well with youth, hasn’t got the pressure one gets in the prem, and can slowly develop a winning mindset via a method of playing that, whilst won’t blue fans away will build year upon year and create a fantastic team

36 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

In my opinion he was very weak when it came to tactics. He has been with us for one and a half season, but we never saw a tactical plan. He simply got outsmarted every game by the opposing managers. He also put players in the wrong position: striker on the wing, central midfielders as defenders, etc. Simply put, he looked like a fish out of water.

Since we have the biggest budget in the league, money wasn't an issue. He was also very much involved in recruitment, so he could basically buy/sell any player he wanted, but our summer transfers have all failed.

Edited by Bonanza

6 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Tactically laughable. Forcing Hirst onto the team, which meant we have been playing with a man down for 20 games. Backing the wrong players, benching the wrong players. Putting the wrong players in the wrong place (like, center midfielders on wingback, center forwards on the wing, etc). No surprise our two top scorers are both defenders. Losing all credibility with the players and fans. Underestimating the lowly Belgian 2nd division, making for the ideal breeding ground to get your ass kicked.

8 hours ago, Bonanza said:

If you were in charge, what would you have done?

Euvrard hardly looks like an authority figure. On the contrary, he looks like he's more likely to receive a wedgy from the players than he is to set them straight. He has no experience. And while you can say that Vercauteren is the real head honcho... Vercauteren is also known to be an opportunist. What if he gets an offer from another club? What if he thinks we won't make it? He has all the liberties, all the perks of the job (including the paycheck), but none of the responsibilities.

Already Euvrard is said to have been on the pitch with the players... Vercauteren was not there. So, i have my doubts this will turn out like fans are expecting/hoping. I think they should have gone for one of the other options as soon as they felt Vercauteren was not 100% in it. Ofcourse, it 's still possible that Euvrard turns out to be a good coach, regardless of Vercauteren's involvement, but it would not be how i would have done it, had i actually had some say in the matter, lol.

Edited by Lizhang
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizhang said:

Euvrard hardly looks like an authority figure. On the contrary, he looks like he's more likely to receive a wedgy from the players than he is to set them straight. He has no experience. And while you can say that Vercauteren is the real head honcho... Vercauteren is also known to be an opportunist. What if he gets an offer from another club? What if he thinks we won't make it? He has all the liberties, all the perks of the job (including the paycheck), but none of the responsibilities.

Already Euvrard is said to have been on the pitch with the players... Vercauteren was not there. So, i have my doubts this will turn out like fans are expecting/hoping. I think they should have gone for one of the other options as soon as they felt Vercauteren was not 100% in it. Ofcourse, it 's still possible that Euvrard turns out to be a good coach, regardless of Vercauteren's involvement, but it would not be how i would have done it, had i actually had some say in the matter, lol.

Like I said, only time will tell...

The other options weren't that great in my opinion. Peter Maes is a tyrant, a screamer, but tactically an absolute zero. When was the last time Jose Riga had a succesful spell at a club? I would've been ok with Yannick Ferrera, but on the other hand, he hasn't done well since he left Sint-Truiden in 2015.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Like I said, only time will tell...

The other options weren't that great in my opinion. Peter Maes is a tyrant, a screamer, but tactically an absolute zero. When was the last time Jose Riga had a succesful spell at a club? I would've been ok with Yannick Ferrera, but on the other hand, he hasn't done well since he left Sint-Truiden in 2015.

I don't agree about Ferrera. I think he did quite well at Standard, given the circumstances. The club was in shambles when he arrived, and he won them the Cup, meaning European football. At Beveren, he got a lot of draws, not many losses, which was easier to rectify by his successor, than a team losing every week. But sure, that wasn't a great success.

59 minutes ago, Lizhang said:

I don't agree about Ferrera. I think he did quite well at Standard, given the circumstances. The club was in shambles when he arrived, and he won them the Cup, meaning European football. At Beveren, he got a lot of draws, not many losses, which was easier to rectify by his successor, than a team losing every week. But sure, that wasn't a great success.

You are right about his time at Standard. He did a good job there dispite the club being is disarray.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lizhang said:

I'm not a fan of this deal.

Well that's what happens when you want someone out at all costs. It doesn't mean the replacement is going to be who you want or any good. You seem to have difficulty understanding that you are just a second division Belgian team. You are not going to get a great experienced manager who wants to coach at such a low level of football.

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Absolutely brilliant seeing two Belgians diplomatically discuss their club in better English and far more commonsense than most debates on here. 

Just a question here, are the teams in the third tier capable of a professional license? 

Up until now Lierse, Deinze, Virton, RWDM and Seraing have put in a request for a professional license. The requirement are (for Belgian standards) quite high, so there is no certainty they will get the license.

I don't know the specifics, but teams in 1A and 1B need a minimum budget, a certain amount of full professional players, the stadium needs to be up to standard, etc...

Furthermore, there is a "Belgian" tradition of sueing other clubs when it comes to their license. The last couple of year, the teams that have relegated have always sued another team to revoke their license in a last attempt to fight of relegation.

And of course, there is still the case of matchfixing against KV Mechelen and Waasland-Beveren. If they are found guilty, this will also have consequences on promotion and relegation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FIF said:

Well that's what happens when you want someone out at all costs. It doesn't mean the replacement is going to be who you want or any good. You seem to have difficulty understanding that you are just a second division Belgian team. You are not going to get a great experienced manager who wants to coach at such a low level of football.

To be perfectly clear, in no way, is it going to be worse than Pearson. Let me just be clear about that.

And you seem to have difficulties understanding that you don't know the first thing about Belgian football or Belgian managers. There were better options available than Euvrard. There are only 24 pro teams in Belgium, so yes, in fact, it is pretty easy to find an experienced coach that knows the league who is willing to come to your club, just because there are more coaches than there are pro teams. Peter Maes, Yannick Ferrera, Guido Brepoels... But thank you for your wisdom and profound knowledge about the Belgian leagues as well as your knee-jerk reaction. You'd have to be seriously diluted to think sacking Pearson wasn't waranted.

The issue here, is that the guy that was supposed to be the new manager, has taken an "advisory" role. And it's anybody's guess what exactly that entails. Will he be joining the training sessions, or will he be in his office? The problem is that it is a vague hierarchy. Not that we had to deal with some nobody that doesn't know what he's doing. This guy won the (1st div) league 3 times, got another club promoted last year (at our expense).

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizhang said:

To be perfectly clear, in no way, is it going to be worse than Pearson. Let me just be clear about that.

And you seem to have difficulties understanding that you don't know the first thing about Belgian football or Belgian managers. There were better options available than Euvrard. There are only 24 pro teams in Belgium, so yes, in fact, it is pretty easy to find an experienced coach that knows the league who is willing to come to your club, just because there are more coaches than there are pro teams. Peter Maes, Yannick Ferrera, Guido Brepoels... But thank you for your wisdom and profound knowledge about the Belgian leagues as well as your knee-jerk reaction. You'd have to be seriously diluted to think sacking Pearson wasn't waranted.

Which proves my point. You seem to think that your club is more of a draw than it actually is.

It's never won anything yet you expect it to get a top manager and players.

I hope your team stays up, I think it will, I hope that it becomes a great Belgian club, but if it does it'll be down to money from people like King Power and not down to the supporters.

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

Which proves my point. You seem to think that your club is more of a draw than it actually is.

It's never won anything yet you expect it to get a top manager and players.

I hope your team stays up, I think it will, I hope that it becomes a great Belgian club, but if it does it'll be down to money from people like King Power and not down to the supporters.

I never spoke of top managers or players. I spoke about managers that know the league and know what they're doing. Vercauteren IS a top manager, the thing is that he is now an advisor, and not the actual manager. But he DID come to Leuven. The manager that got sacked (for no reason except to get Pearson in) before Pearson, isn't a top manager at all, but he is one of the most experienced managers when it comes to battling relegation. He is also currently without a job. It's like you are arguing with yourself. You wrongfully interpret what someone else is saying, because that fits the point you're trying to make better.

1-1 atm away against the leader. HT

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Have you guys seen any improvements? 

Tough to conceed so late. 

Although Mechelen had more possession, I think we deserved a draw tonight.

The new manager(s) have only been in Leuven for about 24 hours, so it was impossible for them to turn things right away. Nonetheless, we played our best game since November. The players have showed they have the skills and willpower to play decent football. We created enough chances to score a second goal, but it wasn't to be.

It's clear to me that this team isn't dead yet! We played with a lot of fighting spirit, which is the biggest improvement in my opinion. I'm looking forward to next week's game, when the manager(s) have had some time with the lads on the training pitch.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Although Mechelen had more possession, I think we deserved a draw tonight.

The new manager(s) have only been in Leuven for about 24 hours, so it was impossible for them to turn things right away. Nonetheless, we played our best game since November. The players have showed they have the skills and willpower to play decent football. We created enough chances to score a second goal, but it wasn't to be.

It's clear to me that this team isn't dead yet! We played with a lot of fighting spirit, which is the biggest improvement in my opinion. I'm looking forward to next week's game, when the manager(s) have had some time with the lads on the training pitch.

What??? The new manager has already been in 24 hours and he hasn't turned it around yet?

He's no better than the last bloke!!:D

• Like 1