Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Riyad Mahrez - The great Artist

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

He's very good, but lost his chance of "greatness" last season. For me, Davie Gibson and Frank Worthington were better team players and had skill by the bucketful and were much more consistent, Weller also a good shout.

Great choices. Just as one swallow doesn't make a summer,  one season doesn't make a legend. 

he's an extremely talented player who is probably the most gifted player we have ever had who can do things with his feet only he knows how!. he is clearly ambitious and wants to do the best in his career and play with and against the very best players in the world. at Leicester City we gave him a platform to perform and showcase his amazing skills and am just glad we had and got to see a player like that at the Kingpower. at the end of the day it is only the fans who kiss the badge and truly mean it

13 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Great choices. Just as one swallow doesn't make a summer,  one season doesn't make a legend. 

No, so lets wait and see.Gibson and Weller had to play a few seasons before we confirmed their top quality

Consistent status.

So, for those posters who put a negative twist, on Last season, see hoe the rest of his career pans out...

Mahrez has just started...

2 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Another thumbs up for Keith Weller ... Riyad one of our best definitely .. but as good as Weller ? Don't think so 

I'll tell you my little secret, and something I will argue until my grave.

Weller IMHO was has good as G.Best, if not better because his career was/lasted longer.

Definitely The best English player, I have ever seen, that never got, but should have seen at least 50caps.

Worthington, the best skillfull N09.Again should of seen 30caps plus.

Davie Gibson and his Scottish position competitor Johnny White, (Spurs) again should of seen easy 30 scottish caps,

Both pure genius...

When I think of the dross that have had more than 20caps for either England or Scotland, and those mentioned above were not given 25 caps between them...

Johnny White incidently was killed by lightening, after trying to shelter under a tree, against rain and lightening...peak of his career..He kept Gibson out of the Scottish side, where many would of loved to see both in the same team...I am English, but in those days the Scots really did have some cracking players, that Spurs side nicked the title FA cup from us..Thanks to the Scots..

• Like 3

He is one of, if not the best technically gifted players we have ever had. It wasn't just the one season, even last season there were moments where he was head and shoulders above everyone in terms of technical ability. There were times in the last 4 years where he did things with the ball that didn't seem physically possible. His first touch from a long ball is unlike any thing I have ever seen live. It's like he had glue on his shoes. So whilst the likes of Izzet gave us years of class, you can't say he was better technically. He deserves to play "for one of the big boys" and I'm sure he will achieve great things. Sad to see him go (potentially) but happy that he's given us so many amazing moments to cherish. 

Imagine if, the season after painting the Mona Lisa - Leonardo da vinci had two or three rival painters grabbing his brush or stealing his paints every time he sat down in front of his canvas.

It wouldn't make him a one painting wonder would it??...He would still be the same great artist, he would just have to adapt to the new challenges.

Edited by gerrytaggart
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

Imagine if, the season after painting the Mona Lisa - Michelangelo had two or three rival painters grabbing his brush or stealing his paints every time he sat down in front of his canvas.

It wouldn't make him a one painting wonder would it??...He would still be the same great artist, he would just have to adapt to the new challenges.

lolLeonardo da Vinci  painted Mona Lisa, weren't Michelangelo the bloke that painted ceilings, my mate Murphy did the floor at the Sistene Chapel, no one noticed the sheer genius of his work as they all looked upwards.

Edited by norwichfox
  • Like 2

I've  been privilege to watch Gibson, Weller, Worthington and of course Mahrez and it's pointless trying prove one is better than the other they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses and each was influenced both good and bad by those they played with.

Rather we should just be grateful that we've had the pleasure of seeing them play for LCFC.

• Like 2

Fact is Weller Wortho et all couldn't even get near the ball in todays game, say what you like they were good players in their day and I know there is a tendency to romanticize these things but lets face it they are not in the same league

I really hope he doesn't go, but if he doesn't want to be here so be it. Aside from his velvet touch, I think the thing I'll miss most is his feint inside and the slide-rule pass to Vardy that inevitably follows. Just not last season, granted.

It's been a pleasure watching him and, at his best, I've enjoyed it more than any other City player in the 40+ years that I've been watching them.

we have never and will never have a player with even a fraction of his ability again. people keep saying he had "one good season". it wasn't a good season. he was voted as the single best player in the whole country and finished what was it, 8th in the ballon dor?

we're not talking about someone just looking good "for a leicester player" or something, he was the best player in the land, by a landslide. 

ridiculous to even debate that we've ever had a better player imo. 

• Like 4

Brilliant post.

Mahrez's style has always, always been one which exudes laziness or a poor attitude, but when the ball arrives at his feet, boy did he come alive and get me out of my seat.

The most gifted player I've had the pleasure of watching in a Leicester City shirt. Kante is the best player but for moments and excitement, there hasn't been one like Mahrez.

Last summer everyone said to our key players "give us one more year" - he gave us one more year. Yes he got paid handsomely for it but a large proportion of our squad received pay rises and none of them have come in for the same grief. 

I'll never complain when a player passess forward and misplaces or dribbles and loses the ball or tries something out of the ordinary because there is nothing worse than watching a side ways ball or pass back to the goalkeeper or knowing before the ball even arrives what a player is going to do.

Thank you Riyad - enjoy the rest of your career.

• Like 4

On 6/17/2017 at 12:18, norwichfox said:

lolLeonardo da Vinci  painted Mona Lisa, weren't Michelangelo the bloke that painted ceilings, my mate Murphy did the floor at the Sistene Chapel, no one noticed the sheer genius of his work as they all looked upwards.

Haha great banter and analogy. Having said that, if Leonardo had turned up to work on time,  perhaps his brushes might not have got stolen!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, somebum said:

Fact is Weller Wortho et all couldn't even get near the ball in todays game, say what you like they were good players in their day and I know there is a tendency to romanticize these things but lets face it they are not in the same league

No your right but neither would Marhez because Tommy Smith or Chopper Harris would have cut him in half. Marhez wouldn't have had the same protection from referees and after a couple of harsh tackles we'd have seen whether he still had the stomach for a game on the wing. None of that was right, but nevertheless it was how it was and the sort of game the Wellers and Worthos had to play in and on none snooker table esque type pitches. We'll never know whether they would get near the ball these days but there's many of that era that would and perhaps be a lot better than Marhez. 

• Like 2

WE know Ryhad can be great - yet this requires his application.  He need to get his head around the fact that no top six club will come for him right now... and no foreign club will match his wages.  He need to apply himself to a good preseason and to working hard at Leicester this season.  IMO he needs to work on his defensive game... keeping the opposing winger in check... and he need to work with a mentor to use video to look at his decision making.... dribble, pass, cross, shoot... it was all wrong last season.

People who don't value what Mahrez brings to us need to have a word with themselves.

This footage is from the season just gone alone. He wasn't far off hitting similar numbers to our PL winning season in terms of assists and goals. Not bad for a player 'not trying', and a team that collectively played like shit for most of the season.

This lad is special. If we can squeeze another year out of him it will be our best bit of transfer business this summer.

2 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

People who don't value what Mahrez brings to us need to have a word with themselves.

This footage is from the season just gone alone. He wasn't far off hitting similar numbers to our PL winning season in terms of assists and goals. Not bad for a player 'not trying', and a team that collectively played like shit for most of the season.

This lad is special. If we can squeeze another year out of him it will be our best bit of transfer business this summer.

Well found video..proves a little point of mine,..He didnt have the consistent classical form of the previous season.

That could of been because of Ranieris tactics, and other players were more out of form..

BUT  IMO  Riyad delivered this last season, but toned down a bit....thats all.

Fans on the   negative wane, and Rightly being disapointed with turgid team performances, find it easy to downtread

the expected star...But in many games he had some magic 2-3 moments.That the year previous, were Translated .

into goals.  Fans are fickle, lose and everybody is crap. Then for Riyad they attack him because he aint a good defender...

Laughable, really laughable..!!!  Oh and yes he DID have poor games, but he still shown in many games some great skills, that

Should of got us going..it aint his fault, when it doesnt work out...not on those sublime occassion...!!! No sirree