Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Riyad Mahrez - The great Artist

7 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I've been Mahrez's harshest critic.

At last he's provided me - after a 15 month wait - with a performance 'a la title'.

Skilful, and a team peformance by him which centred around him PASSING. As I have been saying for 12 months he's a completely different player when he decides to use that part of his game.

Play like that and its very preferable that he stays.

Lets hope it continues.

We played Brighton.

Just now, Chico1958 said:

In fairness to Mahrez, if he had pushed for a move last year he would have had plenty of suiters

Trouble for him now appears to be people have seen him as a one season wonder

Like I said before, I hope he stays and gives us what we missed last season but I see the "bigger" purses coming in late for him

Its going to be a long four days     :fc:

My sentiments too Chico and think they may have also seen us as a soft touch negotiations wise too and we've proved were not! Hope he stays and performs like yesterday. Thought our owners had stipulated no late deal/put deadline on?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Nothing to be bitter about. the facts speak for themselves.

While criticism is welcome and not out of place regarding his performances, credit should be given where it's due. However all your posts about him are in the same negative tune. You never miss an occasion to take a dump on him and seem to take a particular pride in it. Not that you're the only one for that matter. Never seen people enjoying to slag off one of their best players ever that much. Even when he plays well.

Edited by ZeGuy

I have been one of the more negative persons regarding Marhez performances over the last twelve months on here but believe I have done so fairly in terms of what I believe I have seen. In that same vein I have to say that I thought he was excellent yesterday including some of the stuff he did that didn't quite come off.

I also thought it quite poignant  that when Okazaki scored, first he and then every other team member came over to celebrate.  In that moment we seemed almost transported back 18 months or more and it was great to see!  Marhez looked every inch a committed part of the team and really happy with a genuine smile on his face. I also was happy yet albeit a bit confused. Whilst it's easy to say that yesterday's opposition wasn't the best I think that would be unfair, I  think Riyhad's genius shone at times as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders.  I haven't a clue what's been going on with him but he seemed the happiest I've seen him for a long while. It's like he'd fell in love with football again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I have been one of the more negative persons regarding Marhez performances over the last twelve months on here but believe I have done so fairly in terms of what I believe I have seen. In that same vein I have to say that I thought he was excellent yesterday including some of the stuff he did that didn't quite come off.

I also thought it quite poignant  that when Okazaki scored, first he and then every other team member came over to celebrate.  In that moment we seemed almost transported back 18 months or more and it was great to see!  Marhez looked every inch a committed part of the team and really happy with a genuine smile on his face. I also was happy yet albeit a bit confused. Whilst it's easy to say that yesterday's opposition wasn't the best I think that would be unfair, I  think Riyhad's genius shone at times as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders.  I haven't a clue what's been going on with him but he seemed the happiest I've seen him for a long while. It's like he'd fell in love with football again. 

Right on Volpe 

I've been a fan since the 70's. And In that time We've had some great players. But there are 3, relative to their era who I'd put above the rest because of their sheer brilliance , Mahrez, Weller and Shilton, in that order. 

Its said, football is the beautiful game, and its players like Mahrez that make it so, what that lad can do with the ball at his feet is sometimes just breathtaking. Personally I think he'll prove irreplaceable. I'm resigned that we'll lose him, hopefully not this window though, then how you fill the void and with what, god knows. I hope CS has a contingency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agree with this- Mahrez is one hell of a player when he's got a smile on his face, and it bodes well that he seems to be enjoying his football despite not getting the move he wanted.

I think he will stay unless Sanchez leaves Arsenal and they can't get Lemar. I also think he will have a good season if he's still at Leicester.

13 hours ago, Old Fox said:

I saw all but one of those and my father has seen them all yet we are 100% in agreement that he is the best we have ever seen in a blue shirt. When you watch the real class players they always seem to have time and glide across the pitch - Riyad oozes class, touch and his ability on the ball is frightening - personally hope that he stays as if he has a great season then gets his wish to play for Barcelona. He is genuinely quality and he looks like he is coming to terms with being double man marked and drifted all over yesterday to influence the game.

An absolute privilege to watch him and worth the admission price just to see him - those that are not bothered about him leaving will be the ones to regret it as in over 45 years of watching we may not see another like him and as for replacing him we will need to sign two players to improve our creativity.

Any chance you can swap season tickets with the bloke who sits behind me, slates Mahrez for 90 minutes and then tells me how good king is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have all seen the good and bad in Mahrez. 2015/16 season absolutely fantastic and well worth all the plaudits. 2016/17 season very mediocre and a completely different player, why?

Having said all that obviously neither Arsenal nor Roma think he's worth what we do, but remember he has told the Club he wants to leave.

As for the comments made by ex-Crewe Alexandria player Murphy it only confirms what dire straits the BBC are in to get football pundits who know what they're talking about. He has been making appalling and atrocious comments about Leicester City for far too long and the pillock should be "sacked in the morning"!!

Just now, weller54 said:

Frank Worthington was better and combed his hair at the same time! 

I wouldn't say he was better as such. The way Mahrez controls the ball when it comes to him.... at any pace....it makes me gasp sometimes. Frankie was special also though. I remember watching Frankie Wortho once and he was hilarious. He kept blowing kisses at supporters and having a laugh in the middle of the game. Frankie Worthington was a fantastic talent and I feel really privileged to have watched him...and indeed Kieth Weller. I honestly think though that Mahrez can be magical....frustrating at times, but he is surely blessed with talent and will be talked about for years to come at City. I really hope we get the season out of him and he realises that the big guns haven't come in for him because of his form last season. He looks happy to me regardless of everything and I can't wait to see him Vardy and Inniacho together.

Just now, Albert said:

He's got one of the best first touches in the game! The way he brings the ball down and stops it dead is a joy to watch! It's been an absolute pleasure watching him develop into the player he is now & has given us some amazing moments.

I desperately hope another club doesn't pay his asking price and he stays for another season.

£50m is an absolute bargain for such a talented player in today's market especially when u compare it to the £120m Barcelona have offered for Coutinho who for me isn't any better than our Riyad & If he didn't have a Brazilian passport wouldn't be worth half as much 

Absolutely spot on! I actually sent a message to his Facebook when I was pissed after the Chelsea Spurs game telling him how much I loved him....LOL....twat never reciprocated though. It could have been a beautiful thing! :-) 

Twitter saying that the ox will get £120k a week from arsenal (not really the most credible source). just offer him £125-150k with a £60 million release clause for any local team or £45 million just for barca!

£1.25-£2.5 million plus a year is pocket change for another season out of him.

Edited by the fox

59 minutes ago, bridport007 said:

I wouldn't say he was better as such. The way Mahrez controls the ball when it comes to him.... at any pace....it makes me gasp sometimes. Frankie was special also though. I remember watching Frankie Wortho once and he was hilarious. He kept blowing kisses at supporters and having a laugh in the middle of the game. Frankie Worthington was a fantastic talent and I feel really privileged to have watched him...and indeed Kieth Weller. I honestly think though that Mahrez can be magical....frustrating at times, but he is surely blessed with talent and will be talked about for years to come at City. I really hope we get the season out of him and he realises that the big guns haven't come in for him because of his form last season. He looks happy to me regardless of everything and I can't wait to see him Vardy and Inniacho together.

another difference highlighting how riyad is head and shoulders above any other old player we've had. he won't be talked about for years "at the city", he'll be talked about for years worldwide. nobody in leeds or liverpool has ever even heard of frank worthington. none of them could tell you much that izzet did for us. etc etc. 

you could walk into a boozer in aberdeen in 25 years time and tell them you supported the leicester and they'd know who riyad mahrez is and how good he was. 

• Like 2

It was clear from the manner of our first goal that Mahrez would shine on Saturday. 

Brighton's left-back looked more like a doorman at The Ritz the way he stepped aside to let Mahrez pass in that first crucial minute.

And from that point, Mahrez knew he was in a theatre of fun for the day and took centre-stage with relish.

But all credit to him. Given licence, he enjoyed himself and did much to see we won the match.

I doubt he'll find life so comfortable against Manchester United and am quite sure he'll get clattered from time to time.

Yet it's opponents like United that'll essentially shape his future because they're the sort of teams any prospective suitor will expect him to provide an edge against - a moment of magic to make the difference.

Brighton didn't stir enough to provide a test for oxygen in the air.          

• Like 1

Mahrez is a marvelous talent - I hope we keep him and I believe he would be better of here... he needs to accept the contract he signed in return for all the dosh and focus on his game (I have a list of things he needs to work on...)

Edited by foxinsocks

14 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

That's the great thing about opinions, we're all entitled to our own! There's only one person that needs to get a grip here. 

Yes absolutely - difficult to compare players from different eras and no doubt weller and wortho were gifted - in my time the likes of LIneker, McAllister, Izzet were superb but Riyad is by far the best in my 42years that I have seen.

He is one of very few to build a team around but sadly he will probably not be seen in the blue again.....I remember being heart broken 30+ years ago when Link left but despite the many years it will be a sad moment when he leaves probably this week I have heard.

However the club is bigger and these owners are the best in our history so hopefully over the coming seasons we will get to experience the great times again with new favourites!

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's right though.

There's always nostalgia goggles which goes on regarding older players which you're more distant from and tend to forget their many, many bad or mediocre performances in favour of their good ones.

Izzet was a great player who gave many years of great service but Mahrez is in a different league to him (as are Vardy and Kante tbf).

That MON side was a good mid-table side with a lot of dependable players but it didn't have anyone as good as Mahrez, Vardy or Kante.

Couldn't agree more. We all look to those days with rose tinted specs, I named most of my pets in the late 90's and early 00's after those players. But fact is players like those you mentioned and others are on another level entirely.

It frankly insults them and their achievements to say otherwise and I would bet people like Muzzy, Taggart, Heskey or any of those legends would agree.