Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

26 minutes ago, Redouane said:

Yeah, I was thinking that as-well, but it doesn't excuse it. How many times did Slim score with his feet? The only time I recall was last season versus Everton. Clearly, his finishing needs to improve ASAP. 

For Sporting he did it countless times. He knows how to finish with his feet, no question about that, he scored twice against Sheff United and one of them he even went past the keeper. One fail doesn't make him a terrible finisher, look at his efficiency, and his goals per minute, he is far from a terrible finisher.

40 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

For Sporting he did it countless times. He knows how to finish with his feet, no question about that, he scored twice against Sheff United and one of them he even went past the keeper. One fail doesn't make him a terrible finisher, look at his efficiency, and his goals per minute, he is far from a terrible finisher.

Haha come on! I know he scored in Sporting (never really followed the team, but saw his highlights) but let's talk about the present not the past. Sheff United is far from Chelsea. I'd be happy with him if we were in League One, but we're not. This is the prem, he needs to be able to finish with prem standards. 

Goals per minute are good, but how many of those were with his feet ? Besides the penalty and one versus Everton? 

I do admit that he could play alot better if the we play is revolved around him, but it's not. His style of play is not very compatible with the way we play. He is amazing at playing a False 9 role though. 

Just now, Redouane said:

Haha come on! I know he scored in Sporting (never really followed the team, but saw his highlights) but let's talk about the present not the past. Sheff United is far from Chelsea. I'd be happy with him if we were in League One, but we're not. This is the prem, he needs to be able to finish with prem standards. 

Goals per minute are good, but how many of those were with his feet ? Besides the penalty and one versus Everton? 

I do admit that he could play alot better if the we play is revolved around him, but it's not. His style of play is not very compatible with the way we play. He is amazing at playing a False 9 role though. 

This is where the problem relies, of course Slimani has his faults, never is worth 35 million but he is playing in a role he never played and he isn't meant to. My point was that he can obviously finish with his feet, if he couldn't not even against a poor team he would finish, and the strike was good, Cortouis just made a great save, should have scored but for me is more a great save than a miss.

1 hour ago, Redouane said:

Yeah, I was thinking that as-well, but it doesn't excuse it. How many times did Slim score with his feet? The only time I recall was last season versus Everton. Clearly, his finishing needs to improve ASAP. 

Scored 3 times with his feet against Sheffield United (one incorrectly ruled out for offside).*

You can only be given the opportunity to score with your feet if you play games in a number 9 role.

*sorry that's already been pointed out...

Started the season well IMO. We need to persist with him and Vardy, and hope we can have Iheanacho play behind them both in a 3-5-2 type formation with 2 sitting DCM's. 

The firepower would be immense with those 3 on the pitch together. 

The argument of him only (mostly) scoring with his head, is about as relevant as saying Vardy only (mostly) scores with his feet. i.e irrelevant. Hope he starts against Huddersfield. He is due a goal and I think he will score if starts. 

17 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Started the season well IMO. We need to persist with him and Vardy, and hope we can have Iheanacho play behind them both in a 3-5-2 type formation with 2 sitting DCM's. 

The firepower would be immense with those 3 on the pitch together. 

The argument of him only (mostly) scoring with his head, is about as relevant as saying Vardy only (mostly) scores with his feet. i.e irrelevant. Hope he starts against Huddersfield. He is due a goal and I think he will score if starts. 

Don't think he will start anytime soon. Okazaki will come back, and I think Slimani will be relegated to 4th choice, sad but I think Shakespeare doesn't really rate him, still can't get  why he wasn't sold.

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

He may or may not be "good enough" to hold down a regular spot for a top 8 team (I think he is but I am willing to accept decent arguments against) but "bloody awful" just makes you sound silly.  His goals per minutes are the best at the club.  I am not saying he is the next Messi (or even the best striker at our club) but calm down.  I know I am fecking annoying and I know I always jump to the defence of team and manager but if you want to slag off a player at least make it factual, I am happy to admit when I am wrong.  X

I am not sure your right or wrong and not really bothered tbh.

its my opinion and I am not alone but justifying it other than based upon years of watching is immaterial.

like it or lump it tbh 

18 hours ago, Strokes said:

Slimani missed one chance and gets slated, how many did Vardy miss? Poor guy will never get a break, once a scapegoat always a scapegoat.

I gave him a break, I gave him credit v Sheff Utd.

Unfortunately I think that his level, not much higher anyway. Genuinely.

3 hours ago, Eagle10 said:

Don't think he will start anytime soon. Okazaki will come back, and I think Slimani will be relegated to 4th choice, sad but I think Shakespeare doesn't really rate him, still can't get  why he wasn't sold.

Because like Mahrez, (Unfortunately) no-one came in for him, a few rumours and links but as far as I know no-one actually bid for him.

Now I did say yesterday in a thread i'm not sure how true and genuine the rumours were about £40m (Or 40m) from a Chinese club last January, if they were true and genuine we should have snapped their hands off.

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because like Mahrez, (Unfortunately) no-one came in for him, a few rumours and links but as far as I know no-one actually bid for him.

Now I did say yesterday in a thread i'm not sure how true and genuine the rumours were about £40m (Or 40m) from a Chinese club last January, if they were true and genuine we should have snapped their hands off.

There were bids for him, at least I saw in some reports, don't know if true or not. But they weren't nowhere near the £25M Leicester was asking.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't you think he holds up play pretty nicely? I agree with what has been said by some on here, he is not playing a 9 role so you can't judge him on goals (like Shinji)

Even though Mahrez was pretty bad against Chelsea people say, 'well, created our only chance didnt he?'  But Slim was the main part of our only chance and nobody uses that to defend him.

Slim didnt have a bad game and look what happened when he was brough off anyway

Mahrez is playing like he hasnt had a chance to get used to the Prem at the moment.  Slim really hasnt had much game time but he doesnt get any allowance for that from some on here.

Still our best goal to game ratio, which is more noteworthy when you understand he's a good scorer of crosses and we didnt put a cross in througout the whole Chelsea first half for him to get on to

I think Slimmo would do better if we had traditional wingers playing on their 'strong' side. I.e. Left footer on left wing right footer on right wing. With the right personnel, they would be providing outswinging crosses away from the goalie, suiting a big striker like slim. Tbf We have been more successful doing the exact opposite, cutting inside and putting the ball through for a pacy Vardy or in Mahrez's case cutting inside and shooting himself. When a cutting in winger does cross the ball in, it is an inswinger and makes it much easier for the goalie to attack and in turn for the centre forward it makes it more difficult to catch the flight of the ball always travelling away from them.

Slim will probably score more goals in teams set up with old school wingers. He's a good finisher but not sure he has enough in the rest of his game to be able to adapt to our style of play. Iheanacho on the other hand is a much better fit for our style of play. 

The guy will never be a success in the current tactics used. He is neither quick enough or good enough with the ball at his feet. He would thrive on a system where we have two Albrighton style wingers putting balls in to the box in and around the penalty spot. Unfortunately those tactics seem to have died out in football some time ago. 

The problem is we've got 2 out and out strikers that don't really have the creative side to slot into a number 10 role therefore it's either Vardy or Slimani they both can't play together so it will 9/10 be Slimani that misses out, if Vardy was to pick up an injury I guarantee we'd see the best of Slimani but untill that day comes he'll be no more than a bit part player which is a shame but Vardy is our main man

He looked slow to react and sloppy in his play the last time.

Wouldn't mind Vardy and Iheanacho starting, and then depending on how the games progresses - bring Slimani on if we need a goal/support via a set-piece with his bigger presence.

On 9/15/2017 at 19:14, splinterdream said:

He'd be good in a possession based team, we could look at the teams where slow build up and height and power would be useful and play him in them, that would mean rotation though and we don't do rotation do we?

Doubt it looks shit most time he plays

How did Kelechi play today by the way? Any good?

Im no Slim fan. He looks too slow for the Premiership imo.

But I say once more, you could have Morata, Higuain or Dybala in front of our current midfield and they wouldn't shine.

I find it hard to completely slate any of our forwards when the supply to them is as shite as ours is.

The squad needs properly overhauling. Starting with the midfield.

I made the point a few weeks back.....a CM featuring REGULARLY (that's the point) the likes of a James and King is going back 5 years. They are squad players and shouldn't be considered first choice in an established Prem side.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

But I say once more, you could have Morata, Higuain or Dybala in front of our current midfield and they wouldn't shine.

I find it hard to completely slate any of our forwards when the supply to them is as shite as ours is.

I made the point a few weeks back.....a CM featuring REGULARLY (that's the point) the likes of a James and King is going back 5 years. They are squad players and shouldn't be considered first choice in an established Prem side.

Showed glimpses, but, as you allude, there wasn't much service. If this story about a Silva lining is true, it's timely...

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

He looked off the pace in thought and movement,which is not surprising,no real preseason,no games

and clearly still a little tentative with his injured foot.

King and James ARE squad players, only a fool would think they would be first choice if all our players 

were available.Wether they are good enough for that role is debatable .

Slimani is an odd case,why would we buy a forward who is incompatible with our main striker? Seems

an expensive option off the bench.

Archived