Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shamomoa

Leicester sign George Thomas from Coventry

2 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Glowing references from Coventry fans who think he wouldn't even get in their team this year and that we've been robbed spending 450k.  

Good luck to him anyway lol

In fairness Mahrez doesnt have glowing references from SOME of our fans now he said he wants to leave....

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

If he's a 'local' lad, why are we having to fork out £450k for him? 

Suggests either our 'local' scouts missed him or that the 'local' lad chose to play for Coventry instead...?!?

The local scouts did not miss him

He missed the cut at U8 as other players were deemed better so he signed for Cov

Hindsight being a wonderful thing

2 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Bit old for the Dev Squad. Surely he's going to be in and around the first team then?

We must be moving some strikers on soon, we've now got Vardy, Iheanacho, Okazaki, Ulloa, Slimani, Musa and Thomas. We don't need 7 first team strikers.

Old for the Dev Squad at 20?

29 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

The local scouts did not miss him

He missed the cut at U8 as other players were deemed better so he signed for Cov

Hindsight being a wonderful thing

Correct, him and Ben Stevenson both joined Coventry at the same time, they both still live in Leicester.

4 hours ago, Worthington said:

He'll get loaned out, pretty much straight away!

Now let's hope we can add Hirst and do something similar with him. These kids aren't 1st team material yet, by any means. But they're streets ahead of the Jacob Blyth/Uche quality youngsters we've targeted before.

With the proper handling and development we could have a couple of 'special' talents on our hands in a year or two....ready made 3rd & 4th choice strikers !

Im really struggling with your logic here...?!?   (You ever seen Uche play as he was highly rated when we signed him?)

If Thomas was at Leicester as a Youngster and wasnt considered good enough, we obviously either got it wrong because we failed to see the potential in him (which Coventry clearly did!).....OR.....we simply arent as good as other clubs at developing young players - in which case, what makes you think we will be available to develope him from hereon if he's playing in our U23s set-up???

I think people genuinely seem to confuse the success of the 1st team transfer policy (ie Mahrze, Vardy etc...) with the Academy which has very little history of signing players cheaply and develping them into first team players with high sell-on values. Steve Walsh was repsonsible for the major 1st team successes in recent years and he never involved himself in any Academy signings so what makes you think we are suddenly goimg to succeed with this strategy?  who do we have in charge now that convinces you they have the track-record to make a difference...?!?

(PS  do you geneuinely think David Hirst (ex-England CF) would want his son to come to a club with ZERO track-record of developing young forward players through their Youth Academy system?!?  He is currently a young England striker with huge potential and plenty of interested Prem League clubs so who exactly would be in charge of his development at LCFC as he wouldnt be in the 1st team squad?)

6 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Scored 5 goals last season in league one for a poor Coventry side, including a cup final winner at the age of 20. 

Got himself in the Toulon Team of the Tournament scoring 2 goals in 3 games. 

Harvey Barnes scored 6 goals in league one and got in the Toulon Team of the Tournament too and everyone's screaming get him in the first team! 

Barnes didn't join MK Dons until January and he's a midfielder. Thomas is more of a number 10 or 9 so th goals to games ought to be better. That said he's a natural finisher according to my mate who improved massively last year. Let's hope his progression can be continued by not wasting him in our U23 squad.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes didn't join MK Dons until January and he's a midfielder. Thomas is more of a number 10 or 9 so th goals to games ought to be better. That said he's a natural finisher according to my mate who improved massively last year. Let's hope his progression can be continued by not wasting him in our U23 squad.

Him not being involved in our final preseason games tells me he wont be near the first team next season. Out on loan in the champ I guess.

12 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Him not being involved in our final preseason games tells me he wont be near the first team next season. Out on loan in the champ I guess.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed if I'm honest. I thought we'd have given him a good go this pre-season. He must have really looked out of his depth as Shakespeare was very keen to use him at the end of the season. Hopefully he'll go to someone like Fulham or Leeds are run riot.

7 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Im really struggling with your logic here...?!?   (You ever seen Uche play as he was highly rated when we signed him?)

If Thomas was at Leicester as a Youngster and wasnt considered good enough, we obviously either got it wrong because we failed to see the potential in him (which Coventry clearly did!).....OR.....we simply arent as good as other clubs at developing young players - in which case, what makes you think we will be available to develope him from hereon if he's playing in our U23s set-up???

I think people genuinely seem to confuse the success of the 1st team transfer policy (ie Mahrze, Vardy etc...) with the Academy which has very little history of signing players cheaply and develping them into first team players with high sell-on values. Steve Walsh was repsonsible for the major 1st team successes in recent years and he never involved himself in any Academy signings so what makes you think we are suddenly goimg to succeed with this strategy?  who do we have in charge now that convinces you they have the track-record to make a difference...?!?

(PS  do you geneuinely think David Hirst (ex-England CF) would want his son to come to a club with ZERO track-record of developing young forward players through their Youth Academy system?!?  He is currently a young England striker with huge potential and plenty of interested Prem League clubs so who exactly would be in charge of his development at LCFC as he wouldnt be in the 1st team squad?)

Zero track record?

We are actually ranked the 9th best team in the league for bringing youngsters through the ranks.

It doesn't happen that much with so much at stake these days managers are reluctant to give youth a go. Hence the problems with the national team. 

We are obviously focused more on improving this looking at the recruiting process for the development team this year.

Why would a young kid not want to join a premier league team for a shot of the big time? 

8 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Zero track record?

We are actually ranked the 9th best team in the league for bringing youngsters through the ranks.

It doesn't happen that much with so much at stake these days managers are reluctant to give youth a go. Hence the problems with the national team. 

We are obviously focused more on improving this looking at the recruiting process for the development team this year.

Why would a young kid not want to join a premier league team for a shot of the big time? 

Ranked 9th best team??  

Would be interested to see what period that covers and which players that includes as I am presuming Andy KIng would be included in that...who came through our Yth system 8 years ago

And how many forward were included in that as that is the main thrust of my argument here?

"Why would a young kid not want to join a premier league for a shot at the big time?"   I can think of several reasons but that was NOT actually my question

My question was "why would a young forward with potential want to join a club with ZERO tarck record of producing forwards through their own system?"

Would you consider sending your kids to a school with poor results if they if they were considered good enough and had the opportunity to go to the best school?

(PS  as an aside, why do we need to recruit young playesr for our development teams?  this would suggest that 'other' clubs have better development coaches than we do if we are having to 'recruit' their players'.  Why arent we capable of producing playesr through our own system and if our system isnt good enough, whats going to happen to the players we recruit when we put them into our 'failing' system?

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to realise that if you put taleneted students into a poor school, the likelihood is they will under-achieve unlesss the processes and systems are improved...!)

12 hours ago, Worthington said:

Can't understand why there's so much negativity from some of our supporters sometimes!

There's affordable young talent available, so where's the problem buying relatively cheap and seeing how these players develop ?

Would think that the one thing that might put them off signing for us would be a quick trawl through FT! Nothing like being told you're joining a structureless organisation eh ?

Ever considered the reason you might not understand is that 'others' might have a greater knowledge and insight than you do into the workings of the club and can see for themselves where the structure is lacking...?!?

If you blindly believe everything the clubs PR Media team release then I can understand why you might struggle to understand why some people question the logic and structure. 

Just ask yourself one simple question..."Who exactly are you entrusting the development of these NEW young signings to?" 

Is it the same coaches who have consisdstently failed over several years to develope our own attacking talents through the existing heavily-funded structure...?

24 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Ever considered the reason you might not understand is that 'others' might have a greater knowledge and insight than you do into the workings of the club and can see for themselves where the structure is lacking...?!?

If you blindly believe everything the clubs PR Media team release then I can understand why you might struggle to understand why some people question the logic and structure. 

Just ask yourself one simple question..."Who exactly are you entrusting the development of these NEW young signings to?" 

Is it the same coaches who have consisdstently failed over several years to develope our own attacking talents through the existing heavily-funded structure...?

Good point.

19 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

That's avery sobering point you're making, sad but true. It would be a giant step forward to "develop" the development team into something capable of producing quality players.

Archived